Physicists May Have Evidence Universe Is A Computer Simulation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #77490 by
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/11/physicists-may-have-evide_n_1957777.html

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Apprentice Lesson wrote: Akkarin: What sorts of axioms do you think you believe in?

Gisteron: believe..
well, i think that there are some which can assumed to be true just because otherwise some things wouldn't have sense and purpose
for instance, the axiom that there is being and non-being which is essential for all of mathematics
or the axiom that our world isn't just a matrix but that things do indeed make a difference. otherwise we all might just as well die instead of living. which sure would then make no difference, but wouldn't make me particularly happy, y'know..

Akkarin: Hmm... funny you bring up the Matrix
What is real exactly? These are 'real' experiences
You are experiencing them

Gisteron: yea. and i assume that they are real without any proof.
because if i didn't assume that, all my life would be pointless and that wouldn't make anyone happy. in fact, since this belief, no matter if it is true or false, is at least not at all harmful, it is, while unjustified, still tolerable

Akkarin: Whether something is 'real' or not is something that cannot be answered from within that system
Gisteron: exactly
there is not even a point wondering
Akkarin: The question itself is pointless unless you have an outside perspective to look in from

Gisteron: see - same thought :D

Akkarin: So you're left with just getting on with living :)
Yes indeed :)

Gisteron: well we can just as well quit living. it just doesn't help answering the question and it does not at all make us any happier.

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Journals/45829-Gisterons-Journal?limit=10&start=50#77244

That just came to mind when I read it lol

EDIT: Here is the paper itself: http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.1847
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #77564 by Br. John
http://www.simulation-argument.com/

Founder of The Order

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #77565 by RyuJin
This reminds me of a lesson I did in philosophy class in which we read a story about scientists creating a simulated universe then created a means of looking closely into it and discovering a room of scientists doing the exact same thing...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #77570 by

RyuJin wrote: This reminds me of a lesson I did in philosophy class in which we read a story about scientists creating a simulated universe then created a means of looking closely into it and discovering a room of scientists doing the exact same thing...

I have read the same one. I thought it was an Asimov short story...

Br John, do you have it stored anywhere or the name? I know you are fond of posting some Asimov stories from time to time :)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 5 months ago #77571 by RyuJin
When I get a chance to rummage through my notebooks I'll dig it out and type it up...hopefully it's still intact somewhere since I've kept all my schoolwork from my first year in highschool (20+ years ago)

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
11 years 5 months ago #77591 by Ben

Akkarin wrote: Gisteron: believe..
well, i think that there are some which can assumed to be true just because otherwise some things wouldn't have sense and purpose
for instance, the axiom that there is being and non-being which is essential for all of mathematics
or the axiom that our world isn't just a matrix but that things do indeed make a difference. otherwise we all might just as well die instead of living. which sure would then make no difference, but wouldn't make me particularly happy, y'know..

Akkarin: Hmm... funny you bring up the Matrix
What is real exactly? These are 'real' experiences
You are experiencing them

Funnily enough whilst trying to flesh out my collection of potential Apprentice lessons with some different mediums to appeal to different types of learners, I decided upon a lesson based on The Matrix (as in the film) and the meaning of reality. I don't want to divulge anything much about my lessons in a general forum though, although I put up my entire plan so far for review in the Teaching section.

It's an interesting subject and one that boggles my mind slightly...and of course there are many different permutations of it, such as considering whether we are all part of someone's dream or some other such situation. What I always ask myself is...does it matter? If we are in a computer programme, or a dream or anything else, is there anything we can do about it? Or would we be better off just getting on with our lives?

B.Div | OCP

More
11 years 5 months ago #77601 by Br. John
I've read a story like that. I've been trying to find it. I'm not sure who wrote it.

Founder of The Order

More
11 years 5 months ago #77607 by Br. John
http://qntm.org/responsibility

I don't know, Timmy, being God is a big responsibility

by Sam Hughes

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
11 years 5 months ago #77651 by Gisteron
I admit, I didn't read the paper, or in fact the entirety of this thread. But to call something a theory that cannot be tested at all is clearly a misuse of word.

Besides: These are simulations we come up with using our minds which are limited to the world they are in and which we program into computers, which, too, work in the boundaries our universe provide. It would surprise me more if these simulations were significantly different from the world as it is rather than that they are close to it. Only because we can simulate a world, that doesn't imply that our world is a simulation, too. We can as well simulate swordfish and horses reproduce unicorns (within the boundaries of theoretical biology); it just won't work in the real world.

Now, not to say that the Matrix idea is impossible, but who claims to have found evidence, proof or even indication and comes up with an argument from analogy probably lacks a certain amount of understanding of conclusive reasoning.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #77652 by Br. John
Physicists say there may be a way to prove that we live in a computer simulation

by George Dvorsky

Back in 2003, Oxford professor Nick Bostrom suggested that we may be living in a computer simulation. In his paper, Bostrom offered very little science to support his hypothesis — though he did calculate the computational requirements needed to pull off such a feat. And indeed, a philosophical claim is one thing, actually proving it is quite another. But now, a team of physicists say proof might be possible, and that it's a matter of finding a cosmological signature that would serve as the proverbial Red Pill from the Matrix. And they think they know what it is.

The entire article with links:

http://io9.com/5950543/physicists-say-there-may-be-a-way-to-prove-that-we-live-in-a-computer-simulation

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Br. John.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi