A Jedi's Weapons

More
7 years 4 months ago #264375 by Wescli Wardest
A Jedi knows how to use their weapon; and more importantly, when to use their weapon.

A weapon cannot bring peace. A weapon can only end hostility by the use of greater force.

Force comes with a great price and exacts a greater toll.

The best weapon is one that is never used.

The worst weapon is one that is used in anger, fear or without recourse.

How do the 16 teachings teach us when, how and why to use a weapon?

How do the 21 Maxims relate to this?

Your weapon is not only an extension of you; but, a part of you. Use it with the same care you would use your thoughts, your hands or your words.

How would having, using or not using a weapon aid us as Jedi?

What are the weapons we commonly use?

Do we use them appropriately or do we tend to abuse those weapons?

Am I referring to only swords, sticks and guns?

You can answer or not. It is completely up to you. Or you can read this and keep it as food for thought. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Rosalyn J, Brenna, Archon, Avalon, Zenchi, Breeze el Tierno and 7 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #264406 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi's Weapons
I think that the usage of weapons, words, and any harmful things, depends on the way of life compared to the situation of living, for each personally to consider. A set of question that maybe could help with giving it a place: :unsure:
  • How will it affect others when it goes wrong?
  • What effect will ''carrying'' have on me, psychologically?
  • Is it reasonable and in relation to what I want to do?
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #264418 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic A Jedi's Weapons
"Intervention: To know when not to act.

A Jedi knows how inaction can have as great an impact as action and how some of the greatest lessons are self-taught. To be a victor is also taking that victory from those you protect. A Jedi intervenes only when a Jedi's intervention is required."

I don't own any firearms, perhaps one day. I do own a few swords, but they're for looks and perhaps in the case of home invasion. Kentucky has some funny laws about someone coming Into my home unannounced... :whistle:

My greatest weapon is my ability to act, based on what I can access depending on the situation at hand. Not being able to foresee events, one must learn to trust that thing called the gut. It rarely proves me wrong...

Knowing if and when to act, and how much force must be employed are generally factors that are understood over a period of time given one's own understanding of a given situation. Not knowing if to act can be just as bad if not worse as not knowing when to act. The same goes for the amount of force needed to "get the point across."

Act too soon, and you quite possibly reveal yourself and position, making it much more harder to accomplish whatever it is you intended to begin with. Fail to act when the opportune moment arises, things can turn out just as equally bad...

Then there's the use of force...

Sometimes, all thats needed is a touch. Other times, something less "subtle."

Ultimately it comes down to choice, and whether one is able to make an educated one or not. Sometimes, more often than not, the hardest choice demands we own our decisions. Accepting responsibility to either act or not...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Brenna

More
6 years 10 months ago #283474 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic A Jedi's Weapons
I think our greatest weapons are our ideas.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

- V for Vendetta

I could take a billion shots at "God" but there will still be armies of Bible believers ready to fight me as well as each other in their independent name of the same borrowed notion of God.

Therefore "God" is the most powerful idea; hence the most powerful weapon.

A weapon is just a tool to inflict physical damage. Words can also cut because words represent ideas.

The power or weight of an idea is its ability to be believed.

You can change the world with a single idea.

What brought us here if not an idea? What can unify us if not the same idea? What can allow us to influence the world if not the same idea?

Why don't we have world peace already then if ideas are so powerful? Well because there are competing ideas. If the idea for any given thing did not exist, no one would do it. It would have to be invented first; done... first. Because there are competing ideas everyone doesn't just accept the same idea no matter how good or evil. The more we agree the more powerful that idea is but if we have no faith in that idea then we put no energy into it and nothing of any substance takes form.

A Jedi's first and main weapon is the force. Everything else is an extension of the force. All matter is a manifestation of the force. And every law/principle that interacts with that matter is reacting to the force. Through understanding these interactions we can master the fundamental essence of power and create and spread ideas that are more powerful the more they are shared. A single lightsaber could never change the world but a single idea, can.

May the force be with us.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #283483 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi's Weapons
SLIM, you got me bro? Let's do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8

Whether it is in accordance with the Force or Jedi Teachings is debatable, but one incentive not to use weapons carelessly is - it is rarely profitable.

Put aside your anger, hate, and pride and embrace....cash money (or community cohesion, or whatever you want to consider to be valuable long term gains....)

The power or weight of an idea is its ability to be believed.

Eh, Yes. But would V have been half as an impressive read if the titular character was some freddie mercury looking git with a runny nose?

Of course not (and "V" knew this, hence the theatrics)
Ideas are great, how you express them is the "weapon"
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JamesSand.

More
6 years 10 months ago #283518 by ZealotX

JamesSand wrote: Of course not (and "V" knew this, hence the theatrics)

Yes, that's true, but wouldn't that "how" also be an idea? I mean he could have dressed up in a Barney suit and it wouldn't have worked because dressing up as Barney is a bad idea.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #283519 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi's Weapons

ZealotX wrote:

Yes, that's true, but wouldn't that "how" also be an idea? I mean he could have dressed up in a Barney suit and it wouldn't have worked because dressing up as Barney is a bad idea.

V for Vendetta would've been a lot less epic if he was wearing a Barney costume.

"Ah yes, the music. Can you hear it?"
"No... wait! I can hear it!"
*in the distance* "I love you... you love me!" *"impromptu" cleaning up in the background* XD
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

More
6 years 10 months ago #283521 by ZealotX

Arisaig wrote:

ZealotX wrote:

V for Vendetta would've been a lot less epic if he was wearing a Barney costume.

"Ah yes, the music. Can you hear it?"
"No... wait! I can hear it!"
*in the distance* "I love you... you love me!" *"impromptu" cleaning up in the background* XD

LOL, I know people have talked about getting the Jedi to dress up in robes. Again, queue the Barney music. I think it would be a distraction from the message whereas most people in V for Vendetta weren't using his visage to "sit at the master's feet". They were in fear for their lives and rightly so because he was there to kill them. The message part was provided by the film itself translating the events into a form for audience consumption. If the director promoted the film dressed up as V it would have been really cool but only as a stunt for a movie. I think a lot of our message is tied in the symbolism of the star wars mythos (at least based on perception) so dressing up would be viewed as more of a stunt or cosplay fandom.

However, I think the presentation of Jediism is definitely something a lot of thought should be poured into. I trust it is already.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi