Life is easy, why make it hard?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #151365 by
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j_OCNLuYg

I came across the above video. I imagine he's Buddhist (he's from Thailand) but his insights are Epicureanism by another name, so this video is quite popular among the Epicureans. It's basically a sermon elaborating Philodemus' Third Cure: "the good is easy to attain". I think his arguments are very easy to follow and his insights are deep.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Adder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151368 by
Replied by on topic Life is easy, why make it hard?
The life he wants for himself is not the life others want themselves.

Fairly simple.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #151474 by
Life is easy, why make it hard?

Yes. I agree. We have a sense of validation with "taking the challenge" and working through hardness. Its our "shadow" or "darkside" that enjoys our hardness.

It fuels all of our excuses. If life is "hard" then we can excuse anything. If life is easy, then I have no excusing and no suffering.

We are focused and bound by our "compassion" - take that away - how would we connect? Through the ease of the surrender to the Force?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #151492 by
I've often wanted to live like that, but have no idea where to start. I know I can make it work for me, but I don't know how to make it work for my family. C'est la vie. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #151494 by
Hence, you answered the question most aptly.

Sounds more like a case for justifying that the grapes are sour in the video anyway.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #151516 by Adder
In his example he preferred a more natural and rustic lifestyle but I don't think his experience is the point, just the context of the point.

I think he was talking about mindful action, being to align ones intention and action. Pointing out that when action occurs without healthy intention, the result will generally be unhealthy result. The relevance beyond his example is responsibility for ones action's are most rewarding when best aligned to that intention, and that responsibility in 'the West' is now perceived as a burden, yet responsibility can also, should, be rewarding.

So for fun, perhaps consider his use of the word 'light' better means the resonance between intention and action, instead of the 'low weight' interpretation which we carry from our 'western' interpretation of having less responsibility.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Adder.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #151544 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Life is easy, why make it hard?

Attachment h06d80af.jpg not found

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #151556 by
To a certain extent I can appreciate where he's coming from. When I go camping I feel like a weight has been lifted when I turn off my phone and pack away my wallet and keys. Just sitting in nature and enjoying the simple things is a great detox for my mind. However, there is also a lot about my urban lifestyle that I wouldn't want to be without for too long and I'm always happy to come home after a few nights. I think life can be easy if you find the balance that is right for you regardless of what lifestyle you choose.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #151568 by

ren wrote:

Lol, life was not that easy, he just makes it sound like it.

Hunting and fishing takes work, so does water collection, etc.

Also, while it may have been commonly acceptable for women to "do all the work" (is hunting and fishing not work?) that would not fly today...

So should I blame my wife for not having an "easy" life?

Case in point with the guy in the video...School was hard for him, so he quit, well, fine, but some people get through there studies easily, some people have ambition, etc.

If you were to ask them if it was a hard or easy life they might give you at most a raised eyebrow.

Try really living off the land for a week, hell a month, not taking any modern conveniences or very,vety minimum. Build your own shelter, etc.

The indian may like to idealize that lifestyle, but it is indeed hard.

Im sure the medicine man was free, given what "medical training" consisted of.

That kind of life takes more work than what people do today.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #151570 by Jestor

Khaos wrote:

ren wrote:

Lol, life was not that easy, he just makes it sound like it.

Hunting and fishing takes work, so does water collection, etc.

Also, while it may have been commonly acceptable for women to "do all the work" (is hunting and fishing not work?) that would not fly today...

So should I blame my wife for not having an "easy" life?

Case in point with the guy in the video...School was hard for him, so he quit, well, fine, but some people get through there studies easily, some people have ambition, etc.

If you were to ask them if it was a hard or easy life they might give you at most a raised eyebrow.

Try really living off the land for a week, hell a month, not taking any modern conveniences or very,vety minimum. Build your own shelter, etc.

The indian may like to idealize that lifestyle, but it is indeed hard.

Im sure the medicine man was free, given what "medical training" consisted of.

That kind of life takes more work than what people do today.

lol....

Do what you love, and you will never WORK a day in your life...

Hunting and fishing would have been work to someone who did not like that aspect of the lifestyle, and no work at all to someone who enjoyed it...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi