Your Little Infinity - from The Fault in Our Stars

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151310 by
My friend wrote: "It is a love story of two young people with cancer. In its own way, the movie portrays the formula for creating the magic of heaven on earth.

The leading lady, Hazel Grace, says this to the leading man:

Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.

Hazel Grace speaks of how the infinite fits within the finite. She says it this way:

There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities

So consider your own “finity”—the form of your own body, the forms of the space in which you are right now. Consider the finite time that you are spending to read this message. Even the finite time you have in this lifetime. Now consider how the Infinite is present in the space you are inhabiting. And how the Eternal is present in the timelessness of this present moment, and throughout your lifetime."

I found this to be a profound consideration and question.
Now I pass it on to you, what do you think about your finite Infinity?
As one with the Force - how does this apply to you and your relationship to The Force?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151315 by
Alan Watts certainly has a lot to say about this in The Book , but for me personally, I already believe that "I" am infinite in the sense that "I" am an expression of the Force which is itself infinite. Energy does not live or die. It is neither created nor destroyed. It simply changes. To put it simply, "There is no death; there is the Force"

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #151317 by Alexandre Orion
Actually, the infinity that lies between 0 and 1 is the same infinity as that between 0 and ... well, infinity ...

That is what makes infinity so special -- and so weird. It tends to drive mathematicians mad, whereas philosophers, it just make us special and weird ... :P

It may revolt common sense to say that the 0 to 1 infinity is the same infinity as the 0 to 2 infinity, but infinity doesn't behave like other numbers does. Or like anything else really. For instance :

infinity + infinity = infinity
infinity x infinity = infinity
infinity/infinity = infinity
infinity + y = infinity
infinity - y = infinity

On the other hand, subtraction has some options :

infinity - infinity =

-- depending on what ever else is mathematically going on, or just who you talk to.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su,

More
9 years 9 months ago #151360 by Whyte Horse
infinity/infinity = 1 :P
Watts talks a lot about infiniteness and so does Campbell. A lot of it comes from taoism. The end thought is to live in the present as an infinite being.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

More
9 years 9 months ago #151375 by Gisteron

Alexandre Orion wrote: [Infinity] tends to drive mathematicians mad...

No mathematician I've met so far...

It may revolt common sense to say that the 0 to 1 infinity is the same infinity as the 0 to 2 infinity...

Unless, of course, one knows the very intuitive and easy to grasp (so easy, indeed, I had just about no trouble explaining it to my ten-year-old step sibling and only negligible trouble illustrating it to the six-year-old) proof that this is indeed the case.

... but infinity doesn't behave like other numbers does.

That's probably because infinity is not a number, or, to phrase it more exactly, its not a quantity. There are extents to which and occasions when it can be treated like a number, though be it very carefully.

For instance :

infinity + infinity = infinity
infinity x infinity = infinity

whereas

infinity/infinity = infinity

is not true and feel free to prompt me for a proof of that. However

infinity + y = infinity
infinity - y = infinity

is fine again, but then

infinity - infinity =

is again not true and I can prove that, too.

Now, on to the sentiment of the thread: It may be true that since all intervals of real numbers have exactly the same cardinality, and its a beautiful thought that, say, a life that only lasts for seconds doesn't have any fewer moments than one that lasts a century. I'd still argue that it is not the number of moments and for most of us not even the amount of time that make us value and cherish life.
Anyway, I'd just be careful to not fall into the trap of confusing the map for the territory.

[dik-hed mode] Also, l2math. :P [/dik-hed mode]

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151378 by
I believe its about conscious awareness of the divine, sacred and beautify of our lives in every moment. We can focus on and project thinking into our world, or we can radiate blessings and appreciate for every moment we have in the present.

I find this is also about the quality of our time verses the quantity of it. I find most people focusing on having "enough" time to do what they want verses being present with what they are doing in the moment. Stay present. Stay focused - that is all the time we have is "now'.

And that can be an issue of blending spirituality with sciences like Math - it does not necessarily equate directly - but its a nice metaphor for explaining a beautiful truth.

More
9 years 9 months ago #151381 by Gisteron
No amount of thought and inquiry can make something less beautiful than it would be without. If anything, things become more amazing and awe inspiring as we get to understand them more deeply.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
9 years 9 months ago #151448 by Llama Su
Gisteron is right
Orion is right
I am right
and anyone else is right in there perception.
It is alright to disagree with that too.
Is Gisteron anymore right than anyone else?
Anyone can disagree, yet out of the loyality I have to Jediism and my fellow Jedi, I disagree with you Gisteron.
What point are you making, without actually making it? You say you can prove it without any explanation.
Lol
Your last post sounds like a contradiction... I can disagree with that one too.
You are right in your perception. I am right as well to disagree with it. I do not want to limit anyone elses perception. Yet this sounds like something you are doing.
Maybe I am wrong, and that is fine.
Correct me then please. Help me understand.

We can give a numerical value on anything....
I can say infinity is 6....

According to perception...

On the topic of posted.
I wonder how infinity relates to time.
To now...
For it seems infinity can fit...
right
. .
there, between the space
or
here, in the space itself.

How subtle the problems in life really are....
If we are not part of the solution...
:lol:

More
9 years 9 months ago #151451 by Adder
Do numbers exist though, besides as concepts to represent quantity - if not then I'd wager infinity cannot exist simply because it cannot even represent a quantity (with absolute accuracy, being infinite) - so being un-measurable, and therefore outside the realm of 'science'!!? Lol, being left to theoretical math and philosophy instead I guess.

I think calling them irrational numbers is a bit harsh, I think I'm going to call them Jedi numbers from now on LOL....

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 9 months ago #151460 by Llama Su
Irrational
How can a number be irrational?
Who said this?

Numbers are a universal language
Math does not lie...

Jedi numbers...