How Many Heads Do You Have?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107283 by

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107289 by
Replied by on topic How Many Heads Do You Have?
I'm finding this a bit confusing. It must be my dumb as a rock day? It's all one mind just different apects of it.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 10 months ago #107301 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic How Many Heads Do You Have?

Rickie The Grey wrote: I'm finding this a bit confusing. It must be my dumb as a rock day? It's all one mind just different apects of it.

Well, what is 'mind'?

If you quiet your mind, to observe your mind, and you do observe it...Wouldnt that make two minds?

Your 'presence', and observation of your thoughts is the two...

Although theoretically, I can see the infinity of it, I dont necessarily agree, but possibly because I can observe myself, but, I am not sure I can observe myself observing myself... (three minds).. It just is a point Im not at yet quite possibly...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107313 by
Sometimes I wonder about having three heads - the two that "argue" and the one that watches.

Yeah - I just said that on a public forum. I've lost my mind haha
You know? Like the angel and devil on the shoulder and the confused (or amused) person in between.

But then Jestor said his part and if I think about it that way... two is right. :)

More
10 years 10 months ago #107315 by Alexandre Orion
:unsure:

Consciousness studies can be fascinating and very (or almost) entertaining.

At least we're not all on about "zombies".

:S

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107317 by

Jestor wrote:

Rickie The Grey wrote: I'm finding this a bit confusing. It must be my dumb as a rock day? It's all one mind just different apects of it.

Well, what is 'mind'?

If you quiet your mind, to observe your mind, and you do observe it...Wouldnt that make two minds?

I think that's just a clearer mind

Your 'presence', and observation of your thoughts is the two...

Is looking at my reflection the same as me being two people?

Although theoretically, I can see the infinity of it, I dont necessarily agree, but possibly because I can observe myself, but, I am not sure I can observe myself observing myself... (three minds).. It just is a point Im not at yet quite possibly...

and maybe it's just a greater awarenees of one mind or an expanded mind?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 10 months ago #107322 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic How Many Heads Do You Have?
Yes and no...

Would you agree that your mind is not really you?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
10 years 10 months ago #107332 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic How Many Heads Do You Have?
HAHAHA nice find!!

Size matters not, look at Einstein - he had a smallish brain. The subjective head is not a real head, its a model of a head. Our real head's size would have to be proportional to the dimensions of measurement which our subjective head uses, to afford function to our body in modelling reality but a model of a head is not a head, and a model of a head does not undertake the functions of a head in hosting a mind. I think the author drank too much coffee!!

Seemingly there is one brain in the physical body, and one primary subjective universe (which includes our subjective self/body). I'd venture our awareness is the model itself.

BUT I'd also suggest that we can create new alternate subjective universes through visualization (eg dreams). It's just they will not be incorporated so completely with our brain's function to exist in such high fidelity as our subjective interpretation of the objective universe, which is reinforced every fraction of a second by our sensory systems.

Model's are simplified representations. They discard the detail and so can exist as much smaller representations of whatever fundamental language is used to process the model. I'd venture to say that our awareness of the model is the only mind - we are the model.

Which begs the question what is the model, well we have sensory systems which provide important information that must be accurate to some extent because we can cross reference it to the other sensors/senses, eg: I can see my face looks like it feels when I touch my face. Importantly the author made the point that the senses only provide an amount of information which we use to create the subjective universe. It doesn't answer the question though.

They are learning more and more how the brain works, and it seems to be computational. The brain even starts processing vision in the back of the eyeball before sending it to the visual cortex! Individual neuron's seem designed to detect specific parameters, and its through sheer brute force allowed by the complexity of the nervous system that the result is our state of mind (seemingly). Note I said 'state' of mind. This state of mind represents the awareness of our body to it's environment and to itself.

Everything beyond that is unknown. Try to describe colors without using other colors as a point of reference; the subjective universe is person, and therefore personal.

How we each decide to interpret the experience of awareness probably depends mostly on survival at its most foundation level. So much so that the subconscious reserves the right to take away conscious control when it perceives sufficient threat, but it is still our mind at work - just another level of it's processing which seems to work quicker without the burden of sentience. Above that we juggle activities to achieve a measure of connection to our self's, through health. Finally if we have enough resources we experiment with elevated states of health called pleasure.

It's why I got into modelling and simulation with computers for such things as virtual environments. They are models just like our own awareness. It's how we choose to interact with the model of reality, and how we understand the fidelity or level of accuracy of the model that determines our awareness of it, depending on the tools available to interact with it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107341 by

Jestor wrote: Yes and no...

Would you agree that your mind is not really you?

Yes and no. Couldn't help starting like that. My (our) mind(s) is all me (us) and all everything else. One mind. We are all connected. We just don't know until we know. For some that may never happen. Acknowledging our ignorance is liberating and mind expanding. For some they live it from birth. The mind is a dangerious thing. If we master our minds we master all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #107343 by
There is and can be a lot of confusion in what has been stated. There is a conscience mind and the subconscious mind. However, there are theories that stated differently. We have our own mind, and there are those alien thoughts that come at us. Those thoughts when one is attempting to be silent in the mind like in meditation, and thoughts keep crashing against us like waves against a shore. We have a mind of our own, and then there is the rational mind that is not ours that always bombards us in ways that do not make sense. That is why that we should follow our ‘gut instincts.’ Sometimes it can be right, and other times it can be off. Depending on one’s point of view.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi