A calling or a choice?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333247 by
A calling or a choice? was created by
I've been perusing the posts in the "paganism" section of the TOTJO forum today, seeing some interesting topics but not posting until now as most of the discussions seem to be dated. And I'm having the strangest experience.

Over many, many years, I've been exposed intermittently to various forms of paganism - sometimes in a focused way, while at others in a way that mixes pagan perspectives with other traditions, both Eastern and Western. I've considered focusing on the pagan path from time to time, but usually withdrawn ... partly due to limits of time and energy, and also probably due in part to a very long journey trying to expunge the effects of a relatively fundamentalist upbringing from my psyche.

Reading the various pagan topics here, I once again feel an unspoken call, one that I've felt before when exposed to pagan ideas and practices. It's as if something or someone kindly but somewhat forcefully tugs at my heart, messaging me in a nonverbal way - "come home, this way, you belong here."

Now maybe that's just my imaginative nature at work. Or, maybe it's something real ... which is my leaning, since this has recurred over a long period more times than I could count. So I'm wondering, dear reader ... do you perceive that we are called to a particular path, that our destiny draws us to a certain way, or do you think it is purely a matter of intentional choice?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #333251 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A calling or a choice?
kekekek.

My "Calling" is....a thing. A thing that in some way defines who I am. Ask me what I am, or what I want to be, and I will tell you that thing.

But it is utter bollocks.

"we are what we repeatedly do" and whilst I might internally try to call myself something, or in some way believe that is the path I am on...

It looks to everyone else (and me, if I care to look) as though I am on a completely different path, as I keep doing things consistent with that path.

If paganism "calls" to you, who am I to argue?

but unless those beliefs are actively shaping and guiding the things you do every day....

Well, it's so many unread books on a bookshelf innit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago #333255 by Carlos.Martinez3
Try my friend , try. Kit is the special interest groups - Pegan type. Send her a pm here and see what y’all can do.

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/community/14182-kit

As far as a calling : my hope here in this Temple is that we as modern day Jeddist use our label or identity to grow. GROW! TRY! You’ll never know until you try. Myself , I’m a bit of a Wlock myself with ties to nature and natural law - rede ready and wand as well.

My advise to anynome in question :Try - and learn then make your calling or your choice. Only you can make that desision , and who better to entrust that to than you !
May the Force be with you and may you continue to find it AS you seek it my friend !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago #333257 by For-Emris
Replied by For-Emris on topic A calling or a choice?
For many years, I feel that my calling is Spirituality ... When I was at university, I wrote a diploma about attempts to unite the Orthodox and Catholic Churches. Then I read a lot about Christian theology. He wanted to enroll in a Catholic seminary. But, I realized that my parents would soon need my financial assistance. And the priests do not earn enough money to help their families. But, for self-education, I later studied at the Ukrainian Catholic University (this is for laymen, not priests).
In Jedaism, both at the very beginning and after, I was most interested in philosophy. Probably, precisely because this is my vocation, I finally returned to Jediism.

Love is a manifestation of the Force that unites all living creatures ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
5 years 1 month ago #333263 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic A calling or a choice?
I think we realize we're all going to die, and that constitutes the ultimate sacrifice of self - and so we seek out some avenue of effort which might connect our worldly existence to that sacrifice, such that the service to it then becomes considered a calling just because its so much deeper then any other concept like rewards, morals, ethics etc! In short a calling can be anything which integrates death as a likely outcome of service IMO.

So those who receive a calling are perhaps those who feel a dutiable intention to a life long pursuit of this, until the very end (and perhaps beyond it!). To me that is an essence of what Jedi Knighthood also represents, and calling of the Force adherent to acknowledge their existing lifelong commitment to relating to it. In the same way I felt a calling to military service but given health circumstances was unable and so spirituality was the next thing in line.... and for me in another way Jediism blends those things as well sometimes.

To me though it is a choice, and all things are, its just rather that we don''t realize how powerful every little bit of environmental and conscious reinforcement of ideas and concepts can construct our worldview which shapes our choices across every facet of our experience of self in existence.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333267 by
Replied by on topic A calling or a choice?

Omhu Cuspor wrote: Now maybe that's just my imaginative nature at work. Or, maybe it's something real ... which is my leaning, since this has recurred over a long period more times than I could count. So I'm wondering, dear reader ... do you perceive that we are called to a particular path, that our destiny draws us to a certain way, or do you think it is purely a matter of intentional choice?

Of course it's a calling. It is a calling based on belief called passion! And it's not based in any selfless nonsense like service. In fact it is the most selfish thing you will ever pursue, and that's ok. Your personal path is the most intimate thing you will ever pursue so dont ever tie that to a dogma or otherwise restrictive paradigm. Instead just let the wisdom flow naturally. Doing that will never leave you disillusioned.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #333272 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic A calling or a choice?
Oh I'll bite, as nonsense is everywhere... but service need not be selfless, and selfless service need not be nonsense, though I'm sure both can be :D

I think concepts like destiny are examples of superficial vantage and that a calling is in its essence a pursuit of a 'penetrating wisdom' into that space the calling emerges from, to overcome that initial vantage point. When I say superficial I don't mean to be negative, but rather that is of appearances more then of essence.... and that appearances can be either genuine natures of the interaction of essence with circumstance, or conceptual constructs from cogitating about circumstance. In contrast to penetrating insight which is more about the generation of wisdom and higher experience (and therefore capability), probably.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333309 by

Adder wrote: Oh I'll bite, as nonsense is everywhere... but service need not be selfless, and selfless service need not be nonsense, though I'm sure both can be :D

Sure, but I did not say either of those things. I said the calling is based on passion. That passion may be service but the calling is not.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 1 month ago #333331 by
Everything is a calling, calling to you.

It's your choice to pursue it or not.

More
5 years 1 month ago #333336 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic A calling or a choice?

Omhu Cuspor wrote: So I'm wondering, dear reader ... do you perceive that we are called to a particular path, that our destiny draws us to a certain way, or do you think it is purely a matter of intentional choice?

When you walk, do your feet move forward on the ground, or does the ground below you gets shifted while you remain in the same place? Does it matter?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi