Norse Jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328888 by
Norse Jedi was created by
I’ve recently discovered that being a “full Jedi” just isn’t for me. And by “full Jedi” I mean strictly adhering to the Code, Doctrines, etc. I’m usually a peaceful person but if you try to hurt my family or push me too far, I will hurt you in the worse ways I can possibly imagine and my imagination is quite vivid and morbid. I also hate people but try to help and heal them. I would consider myself a Grey Jedi but I believe in more than just the Force. I am Heathen: I praise Odin every day, I celebrate the 8 Germanic Holidays and I love my mead. With all that being said, there are many Jedi ideals that I still hold true to. I still connect with the Force everyday in my meditations. I still use mantras and focusing techniques I learned here. I keep calm in most situations and try to solve a dispute with words, albeit words that punch people in the face with the truth and has a tendency to provoke rather than calm, but most of the time it stops them short and ends peacefully.

So short story long, I am a product of both religions/lifestyles. I don’t believe one is better than the other nor do I hold one above the other. I am a Norse Pagan Jedi and quite proud of that fact. I am currently working on creating my own Code and Doctrine that blends the two.

I don’t care why you think this won’t work or the issues you have with it. You can troll it and I will just ignore you. What I want to know is this: those of a like mind with me, (I know there are at least a few here like that) what do you believe should be the key pieces added to this that will bind it all together?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #328895 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Norse Jedi
I don't know a great deal about norse mythology, other than the (most likely) somewhat fictionalised versions found in some media I enjoy.

That said, I'm sure many find value in the "pagan" religions. There is arguably a simplicity in them, and many of the deities are formed around an inescapable function of our world - such as the weather, or pregnancy, or violence.

One of the things I rather like (if my impressions are accurate) of Norse type deities is that they demand personal sacrifice. They respect the price you are willing to pay for something, and they can "tell" when it is a real sacrifice. A gift of money from a rich person is not a sacrifice. In order to gain their attention, you need to be willing to risk (or sustain) actual loss.

I also like that they don't truly care about us, as humans - like most of the gods we invent, they appear human, and are "better" versions of us, but in truth they are alien, and the survival or fate of our kind is of little interest to them - our eternal reward is not guaranteed.

Is you have to devote yourself some big beardy sky git, there are probably worse options.

(On an unrelated note - The Force/Jediism is not a jealous god, and really doesn't care what else you do, as advertised it does not have the capacity to care, and any misery (or joy) you encounter is a consequence of your choices, not of failing to meet an arbitrary set of rules - I'm also mildly curious to see what sort of code would appeal to your version of Odin)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 5 months ago #328906 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Norse Jedi
Norse mythos goes incredibly along with Campbell's theory of utility of a myth. They've changed over time to fit the needs of their audience and one could argue that the marvel franchise flicks are a distant continuation of it.

With asatru, you have to delineate ones beliefs from the volkish sort that often get a lot of bad publicity, similar to how many try to use Jediism as an excuse to larp. The two are not equivalent, but the point is that your beliefs are only as good as your understanding of them and ability to connect them to your life.

I like Norse mythology, Mead, and have a certain familiar relationship to Tyr, but am not a pagan. I look forward to seeing what you produce, and always love seeing people's insights into the world around them

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328907 by
Replied by on topic Norse Jedi

Rex wrote: Norse mythos goes incredibly along with Campbell's theory of utility of a myth. They've changed over time to fit the needs of their audience and one could argue that the marvel franchise flicks are a distant continuation of it.

With asatru, you have to delineate ones beliefs from the volkish sort that often get a lot of bad publicity, similar to how many try to use Jediism as an excuse to larp. The two are not equivalent, but the point is that your beliefs are only as good as your understanding of them and ability to connect them to your life.

I like Norse mythology, Mead, and have a certain familiar relationship to Tyr, but am not a pagan. I look forward to seeing what you produce, and always love seeing people's insights into the world around them

Campbell's theory goes well with most religious theories if you go through and break them down to their story-based forms. Every religion has a story behind it and his utility theory encompasses them all in one way or another. Even if you break them down to some of their rawest forms, there are multiple common points in every religion and a focus on being a better human being. Jediism and Odinism/Asatru/Heathenry have become quite popular over the last 5 years because of the Star Wars movies and the various Viking shows. It comes with the territory and you can even see it here anytime something "Star Wars" happens. Is it wrong? Not at all. I'm always willing to educate and help those who are opening their minds to something new but with the good comes the bad. You will have the role-players, the trolls and the casual "on-lookers" who believe they know everything there is about Jediism or Heathenry. There are even Jedi here with the elitest mindset and believe they know everything about everything. Are these individuals bad? No. They often have information that is correct that you or others may not know. I believe in correcting the mistakes of these individuals, even if they get butt-hurt and try to cause a scene. If you are going to correct someone in this way, always site your sources. I believe a healthy punch in the face with facts is good for everyone.

JamesSand wrote: I don't know a great deal about norse mythology, other than the (most likely) somewhat fictionalised versions found in some media I enjoy.

That said, I'm sure many find value in the "pagan" religions. There is arguably a simplicity in them, and many of the deities are formed around an inescapable function of our world - such as the weather, or pregnancy, or violence.

One of the things I rather like (if my impressions are accurate) of Norse type deities is that they demand personal sacrifice. They respect the price you are willing to pay for something, and they can "tell" when it is a real sacrifice. A gift of money from a rich person is not a sacrifice. In order to gain their attention, you need to be willing to risk (or sustain) actual loss.

I also like that they don't truly care about us, as humans - like most of the gods we invent, they appear human, and are "better" versions of us, but in truth they are alien, and the survival or fate of our kind is of little interest to them - our eternal reward is not guaranteed.

Is you have to devote yourself some big beardy sky git, there are probably worse options.

(On an unrelated note - The Force/Jediism is not a jealous god, and really doesn't care what else you do, as advertised it does not have the capacity to care, and any misery (or joy) you encounter is a consequence of your choices, not of failing to meet an arbitrary set of rules - I'm also mildly curious to see what sort of code would appeal to your version of Odin)

There are some who think personal sacrifice has to be on the levels of extreme and this is not the case. The sacrifice has to mean something to you and the more it means, the stronger the connection you will with what you are trying to accomplish. I don't believe that if I sacrifice something great that I will get greatness in return automatically. For example, if I give up internet completely but sit on my butt doing nothing, I will receive nothing in return. The sacrifice is meant to make you more committed to what your goal is. Heathenry, in my opinion that is shared by many others, is the aspect of giving praise to the Ancestors and those who came before us because without them, we would not be here. Giving praise to the Gods & Goddesses for the enlightenment they have sent down in their various myth's. Taking responsibility for our actions and understanding the consequences for everything we do. I'm not a Heathen/Asatru extremist and I don't beat people down for not being "viking enough". I see them in the other groups I frequent and it just makes me shake my head. When I presented the Norse Jedi to them, I got a chaotic explosion in my face. Even one of the admins told me to never post something like that again. I quit the group and told the admin they were an idiot. Not very Jedi-like of me but I don't care. The person was an idiot, plain and simple.

I don't look at the Gods and Goddesses like omnipotent entities that judge my every action and will send me Niflheim for it. They are more of a representation of goals that I strive to work towards: Being Wise, Being Strong, Being Courageous, Being Kind, Being Helpful. I'm not worried about jealous Gods/Goddesses. They are a figurehead representing aspects of greatness and the Force is the essence that binds it all together.

I will keep you posted on what I set up and will probably ask for further insight and ideas as I go along. Thank you both!

More
5 years 5 months ago #328912 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Norse Jedi

The person was an idiot, plain and simple.

They very well may have been, but in the limitations of the context you have given - they may also have been well within their rights to police the content of the domain they are the admin for.

They may also believe you are an idiot, plain and simple.

This tends to happen when you put all the wise old masters in the same room at the same time....

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328927 by
This is very true! There are many who would think my venture for this is idiotic and that is their right. The admin learned from the Marvel Universe and has been getting schooled on facts from the start but he is willing to learn so he’s not a bad person by any means. The reason I say he is an idiot is the fact that he wouldn’t even consider the options and opening himself to the possibility of the merging. If you close your mind to different possibilities, you are being an idiot. Again, this is my opinion and it is not of hate or malice.

More
5 years 5 months ago #328931 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Norse Jedi
What binds it .. what keeps it ... hoe do we tap into it and share it !
My own personal goals as they grow and grow almost - daily.
How do ships stay their course ? Do they set their gear and leave it to good math and faith? Can they ? This can not wisely be done. To keep a course on the sea or to keep a course of life or a path or a way- it is wise to keep the constants , constant. Remind yourself of your focus - actively seek it out. Think on it - do it ! Be . This is my own Jedi ism at its finest. I have my own particular practices and ways and I share a lot of them with others here and in the real world. When I make a return to my focus - ( my personal) is the conection and the Force ... by any name- I begin to see it clearer and clearer every day. Saw a man at a Waffle House tell me “you have beautiful children... then tell me how he misses his two kids ... I simply said - well, DAD ( emphasizes on dad) give em a call - that’s your job till the day they die... he said - your right . To push the circle of kindness and peace is my goal in real life so I actively seek those opertunity out.
Norse gods- I love them! The whole gig. I subscribe to a All Myth rather than one specific ... all myths can be used as strength- reminders - ways to try and examples for the heart. The trials and endurance is what I take from the runes and from my studies of such ideas. Every time I’ve studied has never been a given thing- most God’s and most men must do- to receive- my kind of idea - work for gift work For food give get - love each and every example from the lineage to the story’s . My kinna people - any how - good to see you making great choices- happy seeking and may the Force ( by which ever name you choose - ) find you in the seek- in the most of seeking
May you find what you are truly looking for. I hope the label “Jedi” can aid some how I’m your own personal search!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 5 months ago #328976 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: What binds it .. what keeps it ... how do we tap into it and share it !
My own personal goals as they grow and grow almost - daily.
How do ships stay their course ? Do they set their gear and leave it to good math and faith? Can they ? This can not wisely be done. To keep a course on the sea or to keep a course of life or a path or a way- it is wise to keep the constants , constant. Remind yourself of your focus - actively seek it out. Think on it - do it ! Be . This is my own Jedi ism at its finest. I have my own particular practices and ways and I share a lot of them with others here and in the real world. When I make a return to my focus - ( my personal) is the conection and the Force ... by any name- I begin to see it clearer and clearer every day. Saw a man at a Waffle House tell me “you have beautiful children... then tell me how he misses his two kids ... I simply said - well, DAD ( emphasizes on dad) give em a call - that’s your job till the day they die... he said - your right . To push the circle of kindness and peace is my goal in real life so I actively seek those opertunity out.
Norse gods- I love them! The whole gig. I subscribe to a All Myth rather than one specific ... all myths can be used as strength- reminders - ways to try and examples for the heart. The trials and endurance is what I take from the runes and from my studies of such ideas. Every time I’ve studied has never been a given thing- most God’s and most men must do- to receive- my kind of idea - work for gift work For food give get - love each and every example from the lineage to the story’s . My kinna people - any how - good to see you making great choices- happy seeking and may the Force ( by which ever name you choose - ) find you in the seek- in the most of seeking
May you find what you are truly looking for. I hope the label “Jedi” can aid some how I’m your own personal search!

Hail and well met once again, Carlos. I figured you would be one to add to this discussion and I am quite happy that you did, so thank you.

I spent years and years trying to push the circle of kindness and peace. I would not fight back and I would forgive those who hurt me. You know what I got from that? Scars, broken bones, constant pain on a daily basis that I live with even now and just a general hatred for human beings. My kindness and peaceful ways was rewarded with pain, suffering and discrimination. Did I influence anyone to try to be better? Did I make people rethink what they were doing and take up a more peaceful life? Did I influence others to be more peaceful and offer more kindness? Yes I did. What I did influenced, maybe, 15 people. But those 15 people influenced probably 50 others, maybe more, maybe less. Looking back, do I regret the decision? No, I did for a very long time but after seeing a few of these people that I influenced in action made me stop and realize what impacts I had in other people's lives. I let the world drag me down and I made myself into a vessel of hatred and anger. This is something I am working on but I also learned some valuable lessons, and they are taught within the Jediism spectrum as well: Defend yourself and those who cannot defend themselves. I would have influenced more people had I defended myself just enough to stop the attacks instead of letting myself just take the beat downs. I let Emotions govern my actions and did not allow myself to be Calm and return to the Peace within. I also let Chaos rule my life and created some of it myself.

So now you ask, why are you trying to blend these fantastic teachings with Heathenism? Simple: I'm a lover and a fighter. I do not go out of my way to find a fight but I will put down anyone who is assaulting someone who cannot properly defend themselves. I will take out any person who hurts a child for the sake of their anger or because they "get off" on hurting someone smaller than them. I lost a cousin to a murder suicide and I can guaran-damn-tee you that if I ever saw some P.O.S. male (teen or adult) threatening his wife, children, siblings, parents with it, I would not give him the chance to live long enough act that out. That right there is not something the Jedi teach but in this day and age we have to have people willing to lead by example and to take out these worthless pieces of garbage before they can harm others. One life lost, possibly mine as well, is better than 2 innocent lives or 3 or 5 or 15 or 50. Being a Heathen Jedi means being the calm before the storm but also being the storm itself. I believe there has to be a balance of the Light Side and the Dark Side within us. The best way I can explain this is like being a Gray Jedi with giving honor to the Norse Gods. Even the Jedi revered the Ancestors.

The Grey Jedi Code by Leor Danal (Initial Version, the one I adhere to):
There is no dark side, nor a light side.
There is only the Force.
I will do what I must to keep the balance.
The balance is what keeps me together.
There is no good without evil,
But evil must not be allowed to flourish.
There is passion, yet peace.
There is serenity, yet emotion.
There is chaos, yet order.
I am the wielder of the flame, the protector of balance.
I am the holder of the torch, lighting the way.
I am the keeper of the flame, soldier of balance.
I am a guardian of balance.
I am a Gray Jedi.

More
5 years 4 months ago #329378 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic Norse Jedi

I’ve recently discovered that being a “full Jedi” just isn’t for me. And by “full Jedi” I mean strictly adhering to the Code, Doctrines, etc.

Very good!

Well done.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi