If you were a god...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168716 by
Replied by on topic If you were a god...
Týr.

For me he's almost like a Norse Jedi figure. I was interested in the myths surrounding him long before I came here.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168719 by
I'd probably be Thor. B)

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #168722 by Alexandre Orion
Interesting question ...

... some interesting answers too.

From one of my perspectives, I don't know what I would do if I were a god. From another, I wouldn't want to be a god -- although that would be about as ridiculous as a dog not wanting to be a dog. From yet another, as a god, I wouldn't 'want' anything, for ideally a god would be beyond desire (Zeus therefore would not be the poster-boy for this. Hmmm .... Ganymede might be though ... :P )

It would be then that if gods simply are what gods are, as subject to the whims of Time-less Destiny (should this be 'something' at all) as everyone else, then I would be the sort of god that I would be as per that Destiny. And that, for better or worse, as per whomever retells the lore, in whatever generation, according to the values they hold ... In short, I would be what I would be, do what I would do and perhaps be blissfully unaware of what the media (the priesthood and the story-tellers) would be saying about me.

:cheer: :huh: :blink: :blush: :dry: :pinch: :evil: :whistle: ... :cheer:

Were I a god ... Which one of whichever pantheon ? ... Am I not already ? As are, of course, all of you ... B)

Aren't we all of them, incidentally, on and by occasions, according to what is manifesting in us in momentary circumstances (Nature) ? Couldn't clever poets tell the stories of our valiant exploits (like that of heroically getting up and getting ourselves to work on a Monday morning) ? If we could merge our fantasies about the importance of ourselves into the accounts of our personal-Life narrative, as we ourselves see it from the inside-out, wouldn't that make for a fascinating mythology ?

As to the 'why' part of the question, I am taken at a huge loss for an explanation. It is ontological, numenal perhaps ... "because ..." becomes the most comprehensive response.

But if I were just to be a bit mischievous about the matter, I would say that I would like to be Zeus -- for at least he got to shag Ganymede. :laugh:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #168724 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic If you were a god...
I think it might be interesting to know which god other people might see us as. Perhaps highlight aspects we may not readily see for ourselves.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168727 by
Does the Doctor count? :laugh: Corellon Larethian?

I'm fond of Thoth, Odin, and Tyr... Maybe Pan.

More
9 years 4 months ago #168738 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic If you were a god...
A Labrador, perhaps one of those seeing eye guide dogs :woohoo:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #168763 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic If you were a god...
On a more serious note, perhaps Athena, have always been a huge fan of her, loved her owl too.

Or maybe White Buffalo Calf Woman, bringing knowledge, love and peace is always a great thing.

I'd still say yes though if asked.....just sayin.... :woohoo: :silly: :whistle:

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by J_Roz.

More
9 years 4 months ago #168764 by Alethea Thompson
Brenna,

Interestingly, that was a question I started asking a couple weeks ago. A few years ago a friend came to me and my spiritual brother telling us he knew what deity we were born from (which one was our ancestor). I finally got around to asking him which one he believed that was- and in turn I asked a few others I know. I got a few intriguing answers.

RP: I'm getting something either greek with an olive branch crown of sorts, or Atlantean.
Eidolon: Atargatis who is an Assyrian Goddess, Nintinugga who was a Babylonian, and Anann who is a celtic one.
Charles: Aquarius (I know, I know, Zodiac, but as it would turn out I later learned that Aquarius was based on a historical mythological person http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Hyas.html )

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
9 years 4 months ago #168779 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic If you were a god...

Brenna wrote: I think it might be interesting to know which god other people might see us as. Perhaps highlight aspects we may not readily see for ourselves.

I think this deserves a separate thread, Brenna. Would you be so kind? I am terribly curious. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kit, Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168835 by
Thoth.

Lord of magic, of writing, of healing, of science in all its forms - of Knowledge with a capital K.

Though even to think such a thing feels horribly vainglorious.

And the responsibility for all that would be ENORMOUS!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi