Your 'go to' books

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #355367 by Edan
Your 'go to' books was created by Edan
Seeing as we're all stuck inside more lately, and because books are quite simply some of my favourite objects in the world, I thought I'd ask:

What's your 'go to' book?

I have a few...

For deep thinking it's 'The Yogi and the Commissar' by Arthur Koestler (hint apprentices, there's a lesson in my chambers set from this book!)

For daily advice, it's 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius, or 'Quaker Faith and Practice' from the British Quakers.

But for an enjoyable read it's 'The Redemption of Althalus' by David and Leigh Eddings, a great fantasy novel that sparked the interest I have in writing fantasy.

I'd like to hear about yours.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #355388 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Your 'go to' books
I read at night, before I go to bed. My go to right now is 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius.

I also have the STAR WARS Secrets of the galaxy book set if I am not feeling Marcus.

rugadd

More
3 years 6 months ago #355408 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Your 'go to' books
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/sermons/2543-what-do-you-really-know

Two of many is James Allen’s “As a man thinketh” and “Freedom from the known” by Jiddu K. Great re-starting points for me. Good returns too. I’m at a different location so when I get back to my place, I will post more books!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 6 months ago #355428 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Your 'go to' books
Despite the personal ideals of the author, Ender's Game is one of my favorite books
The Art of Communication by Thich Nhat Hahn

The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl

I and Thou by Martin Buber

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
3 years 6 months ago #355433 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Your 'go to' books
Philosophical Investigations: Wittgenstein
And
Structure of Scientific Revolutions: Kuhn

On a more fun note Calvin and Hobbes

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
3 years 6 months ago #355436 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Your 'go to' books
Movie scripts! I download them and read them. Often cutting and reordering bits which I enjoy. As I like things which blur, distort or otherwise make existentially a more dynamic and tangible path - so the series Altered Carbon is good how they have Envoy's if you consider them in the context of fully adopting trans-embodiement (transference embodiment) of 'whole being' paradigms. That concept appeals to my religiosity of concepts from Buddhism and Jediism into a pragmatic Daoist framework :silly:
Otherwise, if it is some desire to hold old slivers of mulch, then I have a couple of William Gibson cyberpunk scifi's next to my bed.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #355551 by Diana W
Replied by Diana W on topic Your 'go to' books
okay, that was ... (breaths in the positive, breaths out the negative) ... I dislike hitting submit and it doesn't post because my time expired.

Cathy Glass: Foster carer who writes about the children she has fostered over the past 25 years (a lot of learning from these books as far as how to deal with difficult situations and human condition)

Piers Anthony - especially the Incarnations of Immortality series (interesting theories about gods and deity)

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Diana W.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #355661 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Your 'go to' books

dwagoonie wrote: okay, that was ... (breaths in the positive, breaths out the negative) ... I dislike hitting submit and it doesn't post because my time expired.

Cathy Glass: Foster carer who writes about the children she has fostered over the past 25 years (a lot of learning from these books as far as how to deal with difficult situations and human condition)

Piers Anthony - especially the Incarnations of Immortality series (interesting theories about gods and deity)

Yes, it happens to all of us I think. A good habit is to copy your text before you press submit. Then if it happens you can just refresh (check it didn't go through) and paste it instead of trying to remember and rewrite! I've had to adopt that recently as a rule here :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana W

More
3 years 5 months ago #355787 by Diana W
Replied by Diana W on topic Your 'go to' books
yeah, I usually copy. Because when I don't ... Murphy!

Gotta love that Murphy.

Go To Book:
Complete Works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. There is a lot of wisdom in his poetry.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
2 years 11 months ago #359876 by
Replied by on topic Your 'go to' books
For philosophy and deeper thinking I enjoy Ikigai by Hector Garcia or Wabi Sabi by Beth Kempton. Both of these books are great at repositioning my viewpoint to show that imperfection is okay and furthering my understanding of how to turn focus into results. I feel these two books are great for aspiring Jedi!

For furthering my technical knowledge I enjoy reading really anything published by no starch publications, right now I am reading their book on Penetration Testing, and plan to move into Cryptography soon!

For personal pleasure it's gotta be anything by Christopher Moore (Lamb specifically), the Pendragon series, or any of the Star Wars novels. All of these are just fun to read and are super easy to get lost in.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi