Coffee or Tea?

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345003 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Coffee or Tea?
I like my coffee like I like my women - roasted at 200°, ground into a fine powder, boiled in water, freeze dried, and kept in an air tight container.

As far as it goes, I drink a fair variety of teas, tisanes, chai, and hot chocolate as well. I'm not in any particular "camp" as far as preferential treatment of hot beverages is concerned.

I sure hope humanity benefits from this thread.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Brick, Rex,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #345016 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic Coffee or Tea?

JamesSand wrote: I like my coffee like I like my women - roasted at 200°, ground into a fine powder, boiled in water, freeze dried, and kept in an air tight container

Wow... I thought "I like my coffee like I like my women - cold and bitter" was going too far :P .

I drink mine dark, cheap, and from a french press (not because I'm fancy, but because the french press works while camping and I got into my coffee habit while living in a tent for 9 weeks). However, I'm trying to cut the habit. The water footprint of coffee is astronomical (140 liters per cup1), and the industry isn't always ethical when it comes to the cheap stuff I drink. I've spent so much time around development workers that, along with the caffeine, I get a hint of guilt with every sip :( .

EDIT: https://coffeelands.crs.org/2012/09/302-the-water-footprint-of-your-coffee/

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Skryym.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347429 by
Replied by on topic Coffee or Tea?
I prefer coffee - shaken, not stirred. Er - I mean, dark and strong, usually black but sometimes with cream. Among office staff, I appear to be the only person who gets excited when the coffee pot has just one cup left in it that's been on the burner for an hour or more. Starbucks' dark blend is a gift from heaven.

Have to watch that stuff though - like the rest of my body parts, my digestive system is not as young as it used to be and more than a couple of cups a day is too much for my abdomen.

I like tea too, but tend to not care too much for herbal blends whose flavor is subtle; I prefer stronger tasting teas. Ordinary black tea is good, and I'm particularly fond of Earl Grey and a cinnamon spice tea made by Good Earth.

Less personally, I've gotten some education about both tea and coffee this past year that I'll share.

Regarding tea, I'll just cite a conversation I saw documented on social media sometime earlier in 2019:

# 1: "What're you drinking?"
# 2: "Lipton Tea. It's still steeping in my cup."
# 1: "I read something interesting about that. Do you know how they rinse the pesticides off of the tea leaves?"
# 2: "No. How's it done?"
#1: "You're doing it right now."

Regarding coffee - I watched an online video by a British gentleman who calls himself Thoughty2. His videos are mini-documentaries on some subject related to science, technology, history, media, and similar topics, and the one I have in mind was a summary of how selected popular foods are processed. In the segment on coffee, Thoughty2 noted that if you buy unground beans or coffee that was ground in your presence, you are getting exactly what you believe - pure coffee. But most commercial coffees already ground and for sale on the supermarket shelf are actually a mix of coffee, corn, soybeans, and twigs. Yum. (I am drinking a cup of the Folger's that's readily available right this very minute, for full disclosure.)
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Corrected a punctuation error

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347431 by
Coffee every morning and 2-3 times a week in the afternoon. I enjoy medium roast with creamer and either hot chocolate/chocolate breakfast mix or honey. I always use Kroger brand grounds with my coffee machine at home, but on occasion I'll splurge and get one of the pricier, but local, Jittery Joe's brand (Avid bookshop blend ftw!). The only requirement is that it must be grounds because I can't stand the noise of a coffee grinder, even at the expense of flavor.

Tea is okay on occasion, particularly when it's cold or I'm stressed. I prefer ones with different spices as those tend to have the best well-rounded flavors.

More
3 years 7 months ago #354009 by Diana W
Replied by Diana W on topic Coffee or Tea?
my blood is made of coffee. It's all I drink from the time I wake up until I go to sleep. Sometimes (on rare occasions) I'll drink Gatorade. But I AM coffee ... the darker the better.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 7 months ago #354013 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Coffee or Tea?
I prefer tea, but I usually order coffee if I'm at a restaurant or something.
My favorites are oolong, jasmine, hibiscus-, chamomile-, and mint-based herbal teas. Oolong and jasmine are good for running around. Chamomile and mint are good for staying in. Also, mint tea helps for common colds and stomachaches -- sometimes a little ginger helps too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 7 months ago #354035 by
I only like coffee cold. I usually drink a cold brew in the morning, with some creamer and cinnamon flavor, because I love cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but they aren't healthy on a daily basis. Less sugar, but it's a little taste that reminds me of my childhood home.

In the afternoon I usually like cold bottled green tea or sweet tea, depending on how hot it is and if I need a sugar boost.

Late evenings: jasmine, hibiscus, mint, or herbal blends with a citrus flavor.

On rare occasions I'll also do an Irish coffee to have energy for socializing if it's later in the afternoon or evening. But I try to limit my alcohol so it isn't often.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 1 month ago #358471 by
can't imagine my life without coffee

More
3 years 1 month ago #358477 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Coffee or Tea?

olvs wrote: can't imagine my life without coffee

How do you take yours?
I found this Mocha coffee things from Mc Donald's that is almost as good as two spoon fulls of swiss miss in my coffee. lol

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 1 month ago #358487 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Coffee or Tea?
black coffee in the morning. Tea in the afternoon.

rugadd

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi