Kit's Crafting Den

More
6 years 7 months ago #297143 by Kit
Kit's Crafting Den was created by Kit
I found there tends to be a lot of meaning behind my crafts. I was intending to put them in my journal for a while but then remembered I this section :D woo!

So I will be posting my crafts here, past and present, and their meanings.

If you have any questions about anything here, please feel free to reply or message me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #297147 by
Replied by on topic Kit's Crafting Den
Thank you for starting this thread; I'm really stoked to read it!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by . Reason: My phone is obnoxious

More
6 years 7 months ago #297148 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Kit's Crafting Den

ReallyRiver wrote: Thank you for starting this thread; I'm rely stoked to read it!

Thank you!! :D I hope you enjoy!

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #297154 by Kit
Elements Bracelet

Attachment 20170813_071407_2017-08-13.jpg not found

I had ordered a bunch of semiprecious and even one precious gemstones on a flash sale I just couldn't resist. When I got them in, I wanted to make a bracelet so I started pawing through the order. I love love love amber, and even though it wasn't on sale, ordered a set of chips anyways. So I started with those. Began picking out a few others I loved, and realized I needed a bit of different texture in the pattern. As I was going through the beads I realized the three I had chosen: amber, lapis lazuli, and red and black agate, reminded me of fire, water, and earth respectively. I had also pulled out the rainbow moonstone I had ordered more out of curiosity of what it looked like. "Well this could be air!".

After looking at the set for a bit, I knew it needed something else. I was quickly reminded about the Wiccan tradition of five elements. Earth, Fire, Air, Water, and Spirit. I had always loved that addition so I went with it too! I chose amethyst. It's always been a gem I love and the bead would add a nice texture to the rest.

Later I looked up the meanings to these stones which I'd like to share here. Specifically the parts that drew my attention.

Earth: Bead, black and red agate (dyed / heated), 6mm round, C grade, Mohs hardness 6-1/2 to 7
Warning: Spoiler!

Fire: Bead, Baltic amber (heated), light to medium, medium chip, C grade, Mohs hardness 2 to 2-1/2.

Air: Bead, rainbow moonstone (natural), 10x4mm-12x8mm hand-cut rondelle, C grade, Mohs hardness 6 to 6-1/2.

Water: Bead, lapis lazuli (natural), 7-9mm round, D grade, Mohs hardness 5 to 6.

Spirit: Bead, amethyst (natural), medium to large hand-cut pebble, Mohs hardness 7.

It's strung on white silk, and finished with a small 24k gold clasp

Overall, I'd say a good haul for something that I got on sale and pulled together :D Edit: no more pictures, it's not working :(
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Kit. Reason: Pictures disappeared!
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297155 by
Replied by on topic Kit's Crafting Den
I *love* amber. I know all stones are super ancient and all but amber, man. Amber.

More
6 years 7 months ago #297158 by Kit

ReallyRiver wrote: I *love* amber. I know all stones are super ancient and all but amber, man. Amber.

Hahaha I never thought of it that way XD I guess most of them are super ancient! I think it's the fact it's an organic ancient though. I don't connect to earth as well as living things I think. And to have a piece of that...I donno, it's hard for me to explain. I have a necklace with a piece of red amber. I love it :D I wants more! haha
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 6 months ago #302317 by Kit
In Nature Spectrum Diamond Painting

Specs:
Artwork: In Nature Spectrum by Cold Pixie
Style: Diamond Painting
Size: Artwork size: 40cm x 50 cm
Framework: blue vine work and burgundy with metallic gold fabric using a modified quilting technique
Embroidery: Nest-Bird in Flight by Urban Threads done in metallic gold and metallic opalescent thread.

Diamond painting is a relatively new craft. You can't find it in the states yet, most of the kits come from China. Basically it's like cross stitch but uses small, square or round faceted, colored resin diamonds in place of thread. It goes much faster, the artwork is larger, and it glitters as you walk by it. Basically the design uses squares of color just as pixels do in digital images.

I fell in love with In Nature Spectrum years ago and used it as my avatar here for a good while. I was even knighted under it :D I love the style, the fox is my power animal so that's the draw there, and I have a fascination with feathers. The art tells me of a fox, confident in his own power, and full of wisdom. So when I was browsing for a new craft, and ran across this in the diamond paintings, I jumped on it! Really enjoyed it.

Many people put finished diamond paintings in frames but I wanted the ability to roll it up to move it without worrying about it breaking. So I went looking for ideas and ran across someone who mentioned they made it into a wall scroll. But I still wanted a kind of finish to it, then got the idea of using fabric to simulate a kind of matting and frame. I made so many mistakes on this it was insane. I can't tell you how many times I cut something wrong or sewed the fabric facing the wrong way @.@ such a rookie mistake!! Took me two days to do and it's not how I imagined it but I'll take it. I'm done!

I decided to do the embroidery because I figured since I was using fabric, I wanted a little extra detail to give it that special touch. I spent a good four hours hunting out the right embroidery file. I originally wanted to put some feathers in the bottom right corner. I thought that would be a nice delicate and simple touch and help balance out the feathers in the image, giving it a more centered look. Couldn't find the image that felt right even after making mockups so I expanded my search to include foxes, then birds. When I saw this one, it all clicked. So I gave it a try and the mock up just felt right. This is the second embroidery. The first one I used copper and gold. It didn't stand out much at all, which is why I intended to use a solid pattern at first. I knew a delicate outline embroidery would get lost in the busyness of the background fabric. But then I accidentally cut the fabric the embroidery was on too short....so I had to redo it. Since I wasn't happy with the first colors, I changed it to gold and pearlescent. It stands out much better but still without being too loud or heavy. Keeping the focus on the fox.

To hang it, I used a quilting technique where you sew triangle pieces of fabric into the corners when you do the binding (in this case, when I hemmed it). I cut a yard stick to length, and it keeps the pressure outward making the fabric taut, and also is flat (vs a round dowel rod) so I can hang it up with a couple of nails. I'm really pleased with the effect. I'll do this differently next time, I have a few ideas how. But for now I'm happy!
Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #319994 by Kit
So I've got a massive project in the works that I'm really excited about. I've been learning the 3D printer with PLA fillament. I originally got it thinking all fillament was the same and since PLA needed a lower temp and was more enviornmentaly friendly, why would I want to use something else? But I accidentally ordered ABS in white for my skull so I went with it. And the difference in quality is amazing! I'm really impressed. I ran out of the white when I was doing my test runs. Got a "natural" colored ABS and printed at a high quality for my (hopefully) final run.

Anyways, so what I'm working on is a headdress for my shamanic practices. I found a 3D design for a mask that was made using a 3D scan of a red fox skull. I'm printing that out in a natural ABS fillament which should be attached together with ABS glue. I haven't decided if I want to paint it yet or not. But I will also print out fox ears. I will fur the ears and put them on a mantle of faux fur. Then I'll decorate it with a few strings of beads and leather hanging down from the headdress to the front of my shoulders. Possibly arange a feather mantle around the ears. I haven't decided if I want to put up with the maintanance of that yet.

The faux fur will be difficult to empower. But I don't think I want to use fox fur. I'd need two or three pelts to get the length I want and I want to give the impression that *I'm* the fox, not that I'm wearing one. But either way, faux fur and real, they're expensive so this'll be a project long in the making.

Currently I have two parts of the skull printed. The nose and eyes. I have one or two more pieces of the skull to print (depending on how I can fit them on the printer bed) then a bit of sanding, shaping, and gluing. Then I'll need to print the ears and that's all for the printed parts. These two printed pieces took 18hrs and 10 hrs to print. I'm hoping the other two pieces won't be so long. The ears will probably be a longish print too. And I have some research ahead of me on how to use fur. Excited but scary prospect
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi