"Words Mean Things"™ -Steamboat

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #298012 by Kit
So the other day I was having a conversation with a friend and she was talking about something that took me a few seconds to catch up. Because what the word meant to her, was completely different than the first thing that came to my mind! I realized that my experiences gave me some very interesting looks at some otherwise common words...

So I wonder if you have the same! I'll give my word, and spoiler what it means to me. See if they match ;) don't forget to share yours!

Elephant Walk
Warning: Spoiler!

Chain mail
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #298021 by
Replied by on topic "Words Mean Things"™ -Steamboat
Elephant walk? This one is new to me. I guess, when a line of elephants hold each other's tails with their trunks and walk,..?

Chain mail is the armor stuff made of wee metal rings.

More
6 years 8 months ago #298022 by steamboat28
I call chainmail "maille" because it's quicker, easier, and more historically accurate in my personal opinion.

Color Discussion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Kit, Kobos

More
6 years 8 months ago #298078 by Brick
I've never heard of 'elephant walk' so I had no understanding.

'chain mail' however, made me think of a thread of email correspondence, because I deal with emails all day

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #298096 by JamesSand
So, straight up we hit it don't we?

Two things that have come out already (second first, first second)

I call chainmail "maille" because it's quicker, easier, and more historically accurate in my personal opinion.

I do this too. (I was a bit of a history nerd as a wee kid, not so much any more)

Point is - We're already disagreeing on HOW a word should be presented.
If Kittykat had said Chain Maille, there would have been no doubt (as per Bricky, who has been alive since breakfast, and can only think of anything in terms of the internet :P )

The other one - Elephant Walk.

I couldn't even guess - and once I clicked the spoily, I worked out why - Military jargon.

Jargon is a pest at the best of times, and given how different industries (current and historic) make up their own damn meanings from existing words, it can really throw a spanner in it.

Elephant walk? This one is new to me. I guess, when a line of elephants hold each other's tails with their trunks and walk,..?

And I would say you are absolutely correct RR - At some point all the grey jets and planes were lined up on the tarmac (Tar MacAdam, Rough trans: Dirty Scotsman) - and some bright spark said "Hey, they look like elephants on parade" - so some other bright spark (but in the days when the USAF or whichever AF starting the naming convention probably only had about 20 pilots and they hung out at the same bar) said "Hey cool, you're right!" and thus, a great tradition was born, and every new schlep that joins the AF gets told "Alright, get your goffers, we're doing an elephant walk, the brass wants a dog and pony show, lets get this goat rodeo on the road"

To someone that makes sense.

So here's mine ;)

Grommet

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #298112 by Edan

Grommet

A grommet for me is something that you get in your ears when you have ear problems... I remember kids often talking about getting them when I was younger.

Chain mail

I thought of the metal armour, then immediately thought of those handwritten letters you used to get in the post that threatened you with 10 years bad luck if you didn't immediately copy it then post it to 10 other people.

Elephant walk

Never heard that before..

Gray = dark, Grey = light

No such difference here in the UK.. grey is the only spelling used.. gray is usually a surname here.

My offering is capital

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Edan.

More
6 years 8 months ago #298122 by Rex
Beyond euphemisms (which are a whole other mess) and jargon (yay for knowing elephant walk)
Plane:

Pank:

Cutty:

Plasma:

Cookie:

Quad:

Picket:

Carb:

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
6 years 8 months ago #298233 by Lykeios Little Raven
cookie

chips

tankie

Hmmm, dunno if I can think of any more...
You guys took a lot of the good ones.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #298237 by
Replied by on topic "Words Mean Things"™ -Steamboat
A typical chain letter consists of a message that attempts to convince the recipient to make a number of copies of the letter and then pass them on to a certain number of recipients

Attachment elephantwalk.jpg not found

Attachments:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi