Recommendation: Stronglifts 5x5

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #355581 by
I`ve had incredible results with the free 5x5 program called Stronglifts 5x5 in the one and half a year I`ve followed it!

To summarize about Stronglifts 5x5 (SL 5x5): the program follows a linear progressive overload over time, so that the neuro-system are able to keep adapting to increasingly heavier weights over time :evil: So, its really just the principle of progressive overload done in a linear programming. Its as simple as it is genious!:laugh:

"Why so low weights?" is a common question asked about the beginning of a cycle with the Stronglifts 5x5-program. "You can lift more, can't you?"

The simple answer is that If you don't give your body time to adapt to lifting heavier weights over time, in which is the principle of progressive overload in a nutshell, you won't get to lift as much as you potentially could have if following a program of progressive overload. Ask not: "What can I do to grow stronger by tomorrow, or next week?", but rather: "What can I do to grow stronger in the next year?".

Check out the official homesite on Stronglifts.com B)
Check out the official free app, in which are available for both Android and Apple, with the name "Stronglifts 5x5":cheer:

If your search around the net for reviews about the program, you`re also going to find many recommendations for this strength training program!;)

Just to ask if any questions!:cheer:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #355975 by
Replied by on topic Recommendation: Stronglifts 5x5
I've recently written a complete summarized introduction about this training routine, which can be found on this thread .

Please check it out! :D
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago #355980 by
I've never done the 5 x 5 program directly, but the trainer I've followed for years is a big proponent of the heavy lifts and heavy weight and I've incorporated many 5 x 5 principles in my own routines. I've only heard good things about 5 x 5.

#jediStrong!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #355996 by
How cool to hear! :D

Very interesting to hear others thoughts about 5x5-training, and very cool that you have implemented some of its principles into your own training regime :) It just shows how practical many of its aspects are! ^^

I've for example read at an article at Boxrox.com which follows the exact same linear progression method as Stronglifts 5x5 by simply adding 2,5kg each workout :D

Only difference is that it is 20reps, of course at a lower weight intensity, instead of 5reps ;)

So, the different methods are very applicable for most other things :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago #356015 by
Yeah, definitely implemented progressive overload, longer rest times, and the big lifts. It's been a game changer for me and I've loved weight lifting ever since I started (back in 2015).

It's probably beyond the scope of what 5x5 intended, but weight lifting has become a meditation for me, too.

It's hard to not be IN THE MOMENT when you're trying not to crush yourself with hundreds of pounds of weight, or drop hundreds of pounds on your face or neck! ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #356019 by
Thats really awesome to hear, LTK! :cheer:
Yes, the progressive overload, which I have practiced by utilizing a linear progression method by adding 2,5kg (or less, depending on the specific exercise and the intensity) in combination with focusing on the big lifts have been a pretty handy recipe, I must say!

Very cool to hear that we have very much alike experiences about this! :)

How fun you should mention that about experiencing a meditative focus while training! :) I've actually thought about that too :laugh: , but when I talk with people about that topic, they tend to disregard it, strangely enough...

I guess that means we are holistic beings, and not mechanical, like some people have a tendency to think regarding to define what meditation is. Its really a strong form of mindfullnes!

Maybe thats an undercommunicated reason as of why many people feel more reliefed and less depression and anxiety after working out?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago #356070 by
Oh yeah, no doubt. During exercise it's just me and the weights. I'm not thinking about my kids, my job or (*gasp*) politics while lifting.

I feel the same way when sitting or hiking. Weightlifting has become a new form of meditation that has brought not just the same benefits as traditional meditation but additional ones as well.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #356086 by
Well said, my friend! :laugh:

Just think about martial arts.

In karate, there is a thing called "Mushin", which translates as "No mind" ( resource ).

The Shaolin Monks look like they meditate while training. They come into another state of mind.

That's a form of "active" meditation that shouldn't be neglected.

Just something to draw parallels with! :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi