Motivation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347459 by
Motivation was created by
I am finding it difficult to get motivated to exercise again. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I can get my motivation back?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347460 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Motivation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347476 by
Replied by on topic Motivation
I find that if my motivation has been low it might be time to change something up, like going for a hike instead of a run. I think sometimes it's helpful to have an exercise buddy to keep you accountable to your fitness schedule. Having a very simple workout routine already planned can help too. I recommend the free version of StrongLifts 5x5 app. Just make sure to youtube the lifts to see good form. I really love weight training because it's pretty quick, I can be in and out in 30 minutes or less if I don't include cardio.

Holmanc, do you do any martial arts? That might be a good place to start.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by .

More
4 years 3 months ago #347478 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Motivation
I move. I’ve lost words like exercise- calories- diet- and things like that. My choice- many can’t and that’s ok too. If I need “exercise “ I walk or go to the mall or lug my kids up and down the stair. If I need more - I go cut wood or run or even start to stack stuff and organize or even - go out side and play or do something active. Bring back the roller rink! Skating is gunna be our next years activity. There’s always something to do if your looking for it! Keep searching. You’ll find your thing. Balance is always on a Jeddist pallet. Force be with you.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347672 by
Thanks for the advice everyone

More
4 years 3 months ago #348278 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Motivation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HINIK3pIOp4
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #348310 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Motivation
In reality, motivation is a less reliable mental fuel than structure, routine, and long-term goal setting. Decide on the outcome you want to achieve, learn the specific behaviors it will take to pursue that outcome effectively, and start building life around those behaviors. Do something regularly for a year or so and it will become an ingrained routine. “Motivation” will be much less relevant once youve shifted out of the “this how i feel” mental frame and into the “this is how i live” mental frame.

But thats not what you asked.

Here are some tricks i have used to keep myself on schedule when i didnt “feel like” training; i watch tutorials and other videos of the lifts that i want to do, for weights, and some techniques and/or tactics that im interested in for martial arts. Learning more about - and watching others doing - the movements that I'm into almost always results in me wanting to do them.

I also like to review the ideal that i aspire towards and ask myself if that ideal is more or less important than my immediate mood. In case that doesnt make sense, let me elaborate; there are two impulses that drive me to train: 1) i enjoy it and 2) the aforementioned outcomes that i wish to achieve. I want to have high level martial skill and to be have significantly above average fitness and physicality. I have to accept the fact that i will never be a Marcello Garcia or a George St Pierre or a Saenchai or a Floyd Mayweather Jr, or an Ed Coan or Eddie Hall or Brian Shaw... but theres still a great deal of improvement that i can make. The Me in the mirror today is superior to the Me of a few years ago. And if i stay consistent, the Me in the mirror a few years from now will also be superior to the Me of today. But only if i stick to the plan.

Last, its incredibly common for people on the forum to invoke poverty as explanation for why they cant join a gym. Its not my place to lecture anyone about building their financial capabilities but i am going to say that whatever you have to do in order to pay for membership at a place where you develop relationships of camaraderie and mutual investment with other people is worth it. Once you feel like youre part of a community that is valuable, it will become harder for you to STOP going than it will be to keep going back. Joining a program where you interact and work with other people is one of the best bits of advice i can give.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #348371 by
I exercise first thing after my wake up morning coffee. I sometimes sleep in my exercise shorts and shirt. I have a treadmill and weights in the basement so I can always do a few minutes of something if I can't, or don't want, to get out. I have a thick comfortable pad for floor exercises. I just get started with low intensity something and if that's all I do...it's better than nothing. I mix things up for variety and fun. Exercise doesn't have to be intense or painful. Moderate exercise is healthy exercise. I take aspirin when I'm done. If it's the weekend I'll take a nap.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #348385 by
think. meditate.
be nice to you.
ah, never mind. keep thinking.seeking.
if only you knew, and im even going ok....there is always hope.
and that is not a quote.
the trick as i know it now to be is to actually DO it!
your saber will come later, or it wont.
it doest matter.
for me, meditation, which i dont do enough, really helps.
yoga...i really wanna do that.
just concentrate on your own breath. that will do a lot.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi