Sith Realist Resources

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327953 by
Replied by on topic Sith Realist Resources
I find, personally, that those who can honestly critique their own beliefs are the ones who are most well-adjusted and psychologically healthy.

If you can't take a hard look at the fallibility of your own belief system, then how can you see it with any perspective?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
5 years 6 months ago #327954 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Sith Realist Resources
Are your beliefs not the end result of your observations and criticisms?

Like the food you choose to eat, the clothes you choose to wear, the people you choose to have relationships with, etc?

Criticizing your own beliefs is like criticizing your own taste for strawberries or your own love for your children. Not something I would classify as 'well adjusted' or 'psychologically healthy'.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
5 years 6 months ago #327955 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Sith Realist Resources

ren wrote: I consider you assertion that I do not accept criticism a personal attack. I have not dismissed criticism as criticism hasn't been served. I simply stated the truth: jedi churches are not the best place to ask for crticism of jedi teachings, christian churches are not the best place to ask for criticism of jesus.

Asking a priest to criticize jesus is not quite the same thing as asking him questions about his faith, which is what you are compairing this discussion to, as if you were dealing with someone who's unaware of the manipulative techniques you are employing.

You are making some rather wild asssumptions and violating totjo's terms of use. Stop it.

It appears that you are also making assumptions. I am not *trying* to employ any manipulative techniques either, for the record.

I consider criticism of one’s own faith more valuable from supporters than from dissenters, as those who dissent are quick to latch on to emotional responses based on personal experience, while those who continue in a faith have usually worked through any “moments of crisis” that might have appeared in their lives. Which is why I prefered talking to Catholic priests directly, who were quick to offer criticism of their faith (not Jesus, but official Church stances) , and a reconciliation as well.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327956 by
And yet, they'll never be perfect. Good beliefs should change over time as more information is learned. Flexibility is a sign of a healthy person.

I don't agree with what you've said. Let's take Christians, for example. If a Christian believes the Bible is literal, they're just wrong. There's no two ways about it. And, a "good" Christian would continue to examine their beliefs and see if there are issues with them. Perhaps they'd get a book and see what historians and theologians have to say. Perhaps they'd even find out that Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet who was interested in overthrowing the Roman rule at Jerusalem.

Being skeptical is the sign of intellect, and can lead to great wisdom.

• ren
    Registered
More
5 years 6 months ago #327957 by ren
A church's stance is not one's faith, much like the jedi code is not a totjo management policy...

I am not *trying* to employ any manipulative techniques either, for the record.

I never said you tried, I pointed out you did employ. I saw a strawman in there, and ad hominem at least, possibly more, can't really be arsed to look back :laugh:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #327958 by

ren wrote: A church's stance is not one's faith, much like the jedi code is not a totjo management policy...

Alright?

More
5 years 6 months ago #327959 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Sith Realist Resources

ren wrote: I never said you tried, I pointed out you did employ. I saw a strawman in there, and ad hominem at least, possibly more, can't really be arsed to look back :laugh:

Well let’s leave all the assumptions behind us then. I’ve got no beef with you.

I do find it laughable to imply that “good Jedi” never question their faith as part of the process of practicing it.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• ren
    Registered
More
5 years 6 months ago #327960 by ren

Connor L. wrote: And yet, they'll never be perfect. Good beliefs should change over time as more information is learned. Flexibility is a sign of a healthy person.

I don't agree with what you've said. Let's take Christians, for example. If a Christian believes the Bible is literal, they're just wrong. There's no two ways about it. And, a "good" Christian would continue to examine their beliefs and see if there are issues with them. Perhaps they'd get a book and see what historians and theologians have to say. Perhaps they'd even find out that Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet who was interested in overthrowing the Roman rule at Jerusalem.

I think we use the word faith in very different ways. To me faith is the inevitable result of my entire lfe's thoughts (or those i can remember, or otherwise subconsciously affect me). To you it appears it is a form of imposition.

To me if a christian believes the bible is literal they're wrong. If they believe the bible is not literal they're wrong. If I thought any kind of christian was right (as opposed to wrong) i would be that kind of christian.

If I think something is wrong, it necessarily is something I do not believe in. I literally do the opposite of believing in it. The beliefs change, but the processes that lead to the beliefs do not.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 6 months ago #327961 by Carlos.Martinez3
There’s nothing wrong with one or the other and frankly , there is really no competition between the two. To teach one way and and not the other is like saying one is better than the other. Reality they are not. Here we are not a Sith Temple. We are a Jedi Order. So, can you see that the only competition present is the only one we bring. Learn everything. Try everything - even the dark side if you like - we don’t teach that here though - you realize that? That’s like me going to let’s say - Danny J s church site and preaching Totjo s doctorine. I can’t and won’t ever do that... bad form and - that’s kinda jevenile. I would hope that better ideas are past here to learn - not - to argue or compete. On that note - why would you try to teach the dark side at a Jedi Temple? Why is it some ones goal to “make others know” Free will dwells in this place just as anything from else. We also have rules. Take this to heart - don’t try to teach Sith doctorine in a Jedi Temple - it’s bad form. That should be standard right ? Common sense even? Give the common courtesy due in an obvious setting. Any ones free to learn anything they want and even share it here but use a bit of tact. Please and thank you.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos

• ren
    Registered
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #327962 by ren

Connor L. wrote: And yet, they'll never be perfect. Good beliefs should change over time as more information is learned. Flexibility is a sign of a healthy person.

I think we use the word faith in very different ways. To me faith is the inevitable result of my entire lfe's thoughts (or those i can remember, or otherwise subconsciously affect me). To you it appears it is a form of imposition.

To me if a christian believes the bible is literal they're wrong. If they believe the bible is not literal they're wrong. If I thought any kind of christian was right (as opposed to wrong) i would be that kind of christian.

If I think something is wrong, it necessarily is something I do not believe in. I literally do the opposite of believing in it. The beliefs change, but the processes that lead to the beliefs do not.

I do find it laughable to imply that “good Jedi” never question their faith as part of the process of practicing it.

There was no such implication. I thought we were leaving assumptions behind?

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by ren.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi