The Lady of the Night and Jediism.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #172030 by
Ah my apologies. I was half asleep. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #172031 by Proteus

Nuestra Señora de la Santa Muerte or, colloquially, Santa Muerte (Spanish for Our Lady of the Holy Death), is a female folk saint venerated primarily in Mexico and the Southwestern United States. A personification of death, she is associated with healing, protection, and safe delivery to the afterlife by her devotees.
Santa Muerte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_MuerteWikipedia

Is this the Angel of Death, essentially?

If so, do you have a way to reconcile the line
"There is no death; there is the Force"?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #172032 by
It depends on how you see her. A lot of people associate her with death. I don't see her that way.

And yeah I could say that easily.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #172035 by steamboat28

Proteus wrote: Is this the Angel of Death, essentially?

Not exactly. An "angel of death" is typically a psychopomp, and while many personifications of death are also psychopomps (like the Reaper), and angel of death does not, necessarily, have to be an incarnation or personification of death to accomplish their job.

Santa Muerte, as I understand her, is a personification more similar to the Death card of the Tarot than to our typical conception of a psychopomp such as the Reaper. She comes from Mesoamerican belief systems that predate the Catholicism that was forced on many of those regions, and in current form is arguably syncretic (arguably because, like many of the lwa, one could see Santa Muerte not as a combination of saint and deity, but as deity-masked-as-saint, so her worship could continue under the noses of Catholics).

I know she's revered by many adherents of brujeria, and has been readily adopted by at least some adherents to santeria and vodou as well.

Also, the line "There is no Death, only the Force" can't be taken in a literal fashion, because it would deny the reality of the demise of our physical bodies, something that still troubles a great many people, Jedi included. It is through worship of these avatars of the beyond, such as Santa Muerte, that many come to terms with their fear of death, and are thereby able to live fuller, happier lives instead of dreading their ultimate exit from the stage of life.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Kit, Edan, Breeze el Tierno, , OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #172036 by Zenchi
Remember, not everyone here follows that version of the code, hence the newer edit...

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force."

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #172037 by
She has a bad reputation due to certain individuals. But she is legit. I think I'll stick around. I am interested.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #172047 by

steamboat28 wrote: Also, the line "There is no Death, only the Force" can't be taken in a literal fashion, because it would deny the reality of the demise of our physical bodies, something that still troubles a great many people, Jedi included. It is through worship of these avatars of the beyond, such as Santa Muerte, that many come to terms with their fear of death, and are thereby able to live fuller, happier lives instead of dreading their ultimate exit from the stage of life.

Attachment hd25e425.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
9 years 3 months ago #174507 by Hitira38
I do believe that "there is no death, there is force" refers to the grand scheme of things. As there isn't death but the lack of force, there isn't emotions but peace of conflict. It is taking about the very direction of life on a time and space fabric. In the force.

HN

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi