Amen - and its possible "origin"?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168439 by
Replied by on topic Amen - and its possible "origin"?
what does "Mote" mean in this context?

And among Freemasons the term "So Mote it Be" is used at the end of every prayer/meditation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #168455 by steamboat28

baru wrote: what does "Mote" mean in this context?

It's an archaic form of "may" or "might" stemming from earlier versions of English. In this instance it's the same as "So may it be."
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203133 by
I just listened to a podcast about the Dogon. It stated that the word Amen is in Dogon, Egyptian, and Hebrew. The root of this word means something like - the Creator, the starting place, to establish. It is the vibration tone of creation. it is the tone below all other tones.

I have seen this word written as: Aum-en. It is similar to Om or AUM.

More
8 years 7 months ago #203139 by steamboat28

baru wrote: I just listened to a podcast about the Dogon. It stated that the word Amen is in Dogon, Egyptian, and Hebrew. The root of this word means something like - the Creator, the starting place, to establish. It is the vibration tone of creation. it is the tone below all other tones.

I have seen this word written as: Aum-en. It is similar to Om or AUM.

...but those are all vastly distinct and different language families, so at absolute best, those words are false cognates (words that seem similar in form and meaning, but are wholly unrelated at all), and most likely, they're false friends (words that seem similar but have vastly different meanings and etymologies). The likelihood that they are in any way related is so linguistically small that I hesitate to give it any credence.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203151 by
based on all of my research - they come from the same language family - Atlantis.
This could be some "heavy stuff" or totally "whacky" to some, but I do believe that there was a civilization before our modern age and i generally refer to that "original", progenitor culture as "Atlantis".

There is a lot of study into linguistics that show that these "ancient" cultures seem to have a common root for a lot of their words. There are words in Irish (Gaelic), Hebrew, Egyptian (ancient), Greek, Chinese, Tibetan, and Dogon that are the same.

I find it interesting that Modern European cultures seem to reject this notion that something could have existed before what believe is the present culture. When I lived in Tibet, they talked about older civilizations. they talked about a time that had greater technology than they have now. I saw ruins that related to an older time that had knowledge that they do not have now. I feel sites like Newgraunge and the pyramids prove this. The book Underworlds does a great job at depicting this evidence.

Irish Origins of Civilization and other books convey a reasonable justification for this as well.

I feel that we are limited in our acceptance of Atlantis (an older civilization) is because of how we are now. When I look at our present world - I am challenged to accept that at some point in our history we all got along, we all spoke the same language and that we built amazing things like the Great Tombs.

But this research into our Progenitors makes me happy because it reminds me that at one time that was true and we can do it again!

I look forward to when we, as a collective world, accept that we are all one and that we have more in common with each other than we think.

Knowing that this word "Amen" is in all of our languages could be a key to triggering our memory of that time.

More
8 years 7 months ago #203157 by steamboat28

baru wrote: There is a lot of study into linguistics that show that these "ancient" cultures seem to have a common root for a lot of their words. There are words in Irish (Gaelic), Hebrew, Egyptian (ancient), Greek, Chinese, Tibetan, and Dogon that are the same.

That's because there is a limited number of sounds that the human body can create through speech, and because of the migration of humans from a common ancestral point, most likely found in Africa.

I find it interesting that Modern European cultures seem to reject this notion that something could have existed before what believe is the present culture.

Because there's no scientific evidence for any civilization earlier than the neolithic cultures that are found in Africa, Asia, and Mesopotamia.

I feel that we are limited in our acceptance of Atlantis (an older civilization) is because of how we are now.

Do you mean a civilzation that asks for proof of something that can be proved before it is accepted as fact?

Knowing that this word "Amen" is in all of our languages could be a key to triggering our memory of that time.

It isn't in "all of our languages." It's in Semitic languages. There are similar sounding words (we think) in Egyptian (though the closest we get to pronouncing the abjadic/semanto-phonetic Egyptian writing system is modern Coptic interspersed with a lot of 'e's for ease of speaking, since there were no actual vowels recorded in hieroglyphics), but that doesn't make them the same words.

I'm not here to dissuade you from your belief in an "earlier" civilization. I'm just pointing out that there is no actual, scientifically-valid evidence for any of the claims that this word is a universal word by way of linguistic evolution that I have ever, ever seen. Nor is there any scientifically-valid evidence for this proposed "earlier" civilization. And until I have some of either, I'm going to continue my disbelief in both theories.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203158 by
I enjoy discussion like this. This is how we get to a central truth.

(I am not good with creating quotes just yet, so I will do this)

"from Africa" - That is the convent truth that most alternate theory archaeologists are happy to dispute. As an archaeologist, I would agree that humanity did not originate from Africa. Even Leaky was quoted as saying that "like did not originate from Africa or the Olduvai Gorge. Its mostly histories and the meida that made those distracting claims. Our modern understanding of history is guided by agenda and ego. Its very difficult to get the "truth" out of a filter with such tiny holes.

"evidence" - there is a lot of evidence, but it is suppressed so the leading elites can have their time in the sun. "new ideas" are usually at least ten to twenty years old. Usually the old guard has to pass on before the new ideas emerge. When I worked in Nicaragua, most of our discovers where sold on the black market or stowed away in closets until they could be sold.

"language" - I like your points. I would need to do more research into that. But based on my research of other people's research (being a true arm-chair anthropologist), it seems that these root words are from a similar source. Until we actually accept the existence of "atlantis" and we allow conflicting research to surface, we will truly never know. Based on my own personal experience in the field, I know that stuff is suppressed and new ideas are met with resistance. I feel that we are finally coming into an age where we will see more reveled about our past than ever before. I am so excited.

Have you check out the "old tomb" of Ireland that are older than the oldest pyramids in Egypt or the underwater structors in the book Underworlds?

I love these types of debates. Thank you for your offers and point of views. I agree that we would benefit from a "hard truth" but in the end - what matters to me is the idea that we once lived together harmously with the Force as our guide and I look forward to returning to that. I look forward to people accepting that we can actually all get along and serve something higher than ourselves - no matter what name or langauge is used.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #203160 by steamboat28

baru wrote: (I am not good with creating quotes just yet, so I will do this)

Quotes are easy! You can either hit the "Quote" button at the bottom of the screen, and cut out whatever you don't want to quote, or, you can do this:
Code:
[quote]this is the stuff i want to quote[/quote]
and it'll take care of it for you! :D

"from Africa" - That is the convent truth that most alternate theory archaeologists are happy to dispute. As an archaeologist, I would agree that humanity did not originate from Africa. Even Leaky was quoted as saying that "like did not originate from Africa or the Olduvai Gorge. Its mostly histories and the meida that made those distracting claims. Our modern understanding of history is guided by agenda and ego. Its very difficult to get the "truth" out of a filter with such tiny holes.

I agree that one, central origin point in Africa makes very little sense, given what we know of history, geography, and many other disciplines. That said, a common point of origin of species does make sense if we trace it back to the earliest instances, before the differing types of hominids murdered and bred each other out of existence until we got to Homo sapiens.

"evidence" - there is a lot of evidence, but it is suppressed so the leading elites can have their time in the sun. "new ideas" are usually at least ten to twenty years old. Usually the old guard has to pass on before the new ideas emerge. When I worked in Nicaragua, most of our discovers where sold on the black market or stowed away in closets until they could be sold.

In the age of global communications and conspiracy theorists, I find it hard to believe any verifiable information can be "suppressed" adequately. Things like that can only be kept secret--really secret--if you have the ability to kill literally everyone who might talk about it, and that kind of firepower is pretty noticable.

"language" - I like your points. I would need to do more research into that. But based on my research of other people's research (being a true arm-chair anthropologist), it seems that these root words are from a similar source. Until we actually accept the existence of "atlantis" and we allow conflicting research to surface, we will truly never know. Based on my own personal experience in the field, I know that stuff is suppressed and new ideas are met with resistance. I feel that we are finally coming into an age where we will see more reveled about our past than ever before. I am so excited.

Words are kind of my thing. It's why I'm always screaming that "words mean things". When we understand what they mean, why they mean it, and where they come from, we start to understand how we (culturally) feel and think about the things they represent.

Have you check out the "old tomb" of Ireland that are older than the oldest pyramids in Egypt or the underwater structors in the book Underworlds?

I have not, but hominids have created cairns for their dead before they created cities for their living, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I love these types of debates. Thank you for your offers and point of views. I agree that we would benefit from a "hard truth" but in the end - what matters to me is the idea that we once lived together harmously with the Force as our guide and I look forward to returning to that. I look forward to people accepting that we can actually all get along and serve something higher than ourselves - no matter what name or langauge is used.

Truth can be helpful or hurtful. I just ask, personally, for proof of things that can be proved. Everything else, I will entertain on faith. I find I, personally, am far less stressed about things that way.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by steamboat28.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #203259 by
Not sure if this was already said (a lot to read) but my understanding was that AMEN was a shortened version of ALL MEN. As in "are ALL MEN in agreement?" Considering that many churches say AMEN like a question, such as "Christ loves us, amen?" To which everyone says AMEN.

It's rather irritating, actually. Everyone says it, but no one knows what it means.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #203268 by steamboat28

Streen wrote: It's rather irritating, actually. Everyone says it, but no one knows what it means.

This annoys me about most of language, honestly. It's not hard to find out what things like this mean, and we just choose not to understand how we're communicating.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi