[S.I.G. Eastern Studies] - Zen Buddhist teacher Dogen

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #242885 by Jestor

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Alexandre Orion, Archon, Amaya, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #242907 by Adder
I love mixing Taoism and Buddhism together, and its like a lot of Zen is along those lines isnt it!?

What it's saying sound a bit like... bden 'dzin, as in bending za world into your own frame of reference!

Being the grasping onto concepts, which it is said obscure or distort the true nature of reality - or at least (depending on ones beliefs) a novel, more engaging form of perception.

It's the question that drives us Neo.

But grasping manifests in our behaviour more broadly, upādāna, as in those make us go and down as we cycle through fixation and grasping on meeting our own needs above and before anything else!!

I'd say it's not just Soto Zen, indeed I've read that is the nature of taking refugee in the Three Jewels, (basically all Buddhism?) to escape the instincts for grasping and to eliminate the delusion it fuels. Different authors, and different pieces appeal to different people and different points on their path. There is so much material in Eastern spirituality and philosophy!!!! I guess we lost a lot in Europe with the Church cracking down on heretical material perhaps.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242909 by
Sorry, off topic but does anyone else see the family resemblance here?

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 10 months ago #242912 by Jestor

being a Zen master automatically knocks you off the list of great philosophers.

I guess this is what stumps me....

I guess I didn't realize that some folks do not consider Zen as a philosophy....

Lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #305677 by
If anyone's interested, the Nishijima/Cross translation of Dogen's Shobogenzo (True Dharma Eye) is available for free here: http://21dzk.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp/BDK/bdk_search.php

I'll go ahead and admit I haven't read the whole thing (because it's 4 volumes), but I come back to Dogen's Instructions for the Cook in my daily life pretty often.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi