Tai chi chuan for begginers

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200200 by
Studying meditation on the internet I found this video on Tai chi chuan. I consider this as an active meditation, and a good way to exercise. For people who study these Eastern traditions I invite them to speak, because they also want to learn.
Below is a link with 9 classes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlHGjYHyjmM&list=PL6C980A5917DCBFB6

I hope this will also help ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200202 by
Replied by on topic Tai chi chuan for begginers
Thank you for posting that. Tai Chi is something of interest for me and where I am rather limited on time, this really helps.

More
8 years 7 months ago #200212 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Tai chi chuan for begginers
I wouldn't suggest learning Tai Chi from videos, personally. Finding a good teacher is hard, but so beneficial.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 7 months ago #200216 by Whyte Horse
I learned it from a book and made a video in my mind and then watched it when needed. I think spent about $20 total to learn tai chi

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200235 by

TheDude wrote: I wouldn't suggest learning Tai Chi from videos, personally. Finding a good teacher is hard, but so beneficial.

Where it live has been difficult to find a good teacher. But you're right. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #200244 by

MrBruno wrote:

TheDude wrote: I wouldn't suggest learning Tai Chi from videos, personally. Finding a good teacher is hard, but so beneficial.

Where it live has been difficult to find a good teacher. But you're right. :laugh:

Finding a teacher isn't always the right answer. There is nothing wrong from learning from books and videos in your home as long as you properly do your research, be smart about it, exercise respect and responsibility for your own body (Don't do something you know you can't do) And consider the advice of your health/medical advisers. People give themselves far too little credit, show a bit of courage and confidence in your own ability to learn without the cookie cutter methods of others.

My opinions are just that. Opinions. Take it with a grain of salt and do whatever you want. You will anyways ;)
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 7 months ago #200246 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Tai chi chuan for begginers

Kitsu Tails wrote:

MrBruno wrote:

Finding a teacher isn't always the right answer. There is nothing wrong from learning from books and videos in your home as long as you properly do your research, be smart about it, exercise respect and responsibility for your own body (Don't do something you know you can't do) And consider the advice of your health/medical advisers. People give themselves far too little credit, show a bit of courage and confidence in your own ability to learn without the cookie cutter methods of others.

My opinions are just that. Opinions. Take it with a grain of salt and do whatever you want. You will anyways ;)

I agree with you both a bit...

If there are no teachers available, then, a video or book is better than sitting on our duff, saying "I cant because...."

A teacher should always be a first choice, but, second would be an interactive online/video course, third, maybe a book...

Ive seen video 'Martial Arts Classes', where you watch a video, and send in videos of your own for 'grading and critiquing'...

Something, is better than nothing...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #200254 by Alexandre Orion
That's just the way it is with most things really, learning it from someone who knows it is a little better then trying to figure it out from a description or representation. But, as Jestor said, doing something is better than doing nothing ...

Screw all that "if you want it bad enough you'll find a way" horse-poo : in our current socio-economic tundra, many just don't have the means to go register and pay for courses. The instructional videos are probably the next-best thing.

Besides, learning from a teacher can't really be the only way ... After all, who did the first one(s) learn it from ? (probably not YouTube, but still ! :laugh: )

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 7 months ago #200257 by Breeze el Tierno
The first T'ai Chi players adapted what they learned from teachers to a new style of movement. A book or a video will never replace a good teacher. Half a loaf of bread is better than none, sure, but you really do need a person there. Especially in a body art, there are things you will need to feel by receiving movement from another person. Your dvd can't push you.

That said, if you have a solid T'ai Chi background, videos make for a reasonably good supplement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, TheDude

More
8 years 7 months ago #200264 by Whyte Horse
There are many books, here's the one I used to learn the positions:
http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Ten-Minutes-Health/dp/091636030X/ref=sr_1_73?ie=UTF8&qid=1439923510&sr=8-73&keywords=tai+chi+wu

It takes about 10min per day and if you learn a new position each day you can master it in 80 days.

After I learned that, I went into more advanced theory through this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Structure-Tai-Chi-Mastering/dp/1594770581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439923803&sr=8-1&keywords=inner+structure+of+tai+chi

Between those 2 books and some youtube videos, you would be indestructible.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi