teachers and religion projects

More
12 years 4 months ago #45628 by Lycaenion
All right well i have a AP human geography class and we have to do a project on a religion.So naturaly i realy wanted to do Jediism.I brought it up in conversation that Jediism in the UK is the 4th largest religion,just to see how my teacher would take that.I realy think hes a great teacher and everything but it was rather disapointing when he responded with a "realy?..thats sad" and did that,thats realy weird smerk.i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to maybe change his views on it.It kind of annoyed me because hes normaly such an open minded person.Any advice on what i should include on this project and any pointers on how to even get him to let me do it on Jediism would be apreciated.Thanks!

MTFBWY
IDIC

"I'm not testing you, Obi-Wan. Life tests you! Every day, it brings you new chances for triumph or defeat. And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human"
Qui Gon

"And over our heads will float the blue bird singing of beautiful and impossible things, of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde,When the Blue Bird Sings

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #45630 by

Lycaenion wrote: I brought it up in conversation that Jediism in the UK is the 4th largest religion,just to see how my teacher would take that.I realy think hes a great teacher and everything but it was rather disapointing when he responded with a "realy?..thats sad"

It is sad... that it is not No 1 :)

And for real... I think patience and looking other people in the eyes when explaining, works just fine (at least for me), and no mind tricks allowed...

More
12 years 4 months ago #45632 by Wescli Wardest
I have discovered if you set your expectations low enough, you are rarely disappointed. LOL

But, seriously, there is nothing you can say or do to open a closed mind. The choice to be receptive has to be the individuals. I mean, would you like for someone to try and change your mind for you?

I would research and give the most informative presentation I could without being too in-depth. Leave questions to be answered, maybe it will spark curiosity? Many times that is all that is required to open a mind to the possibilities. Of course, you should think out a few answers to questions that will most likely arise. But you know him better than I. Only you could know what might peak his interest or questions he might ask.

I hope that helped!

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #46090 by
You've probably already completed the project but … I always have two cents to throw in. :blush:

One of the things you might address when talking about Jediism to the class/teacher is how new religions get started or are viewed by people of the time – Jediism is far from the first religion to be smirked at by people and probably won't be the last.

I mean; Scientology, a religion started by a 2nd rate sci-fi author on a bet. Mormonism; a guy who claims secret rose colored glasses made him able to read equally secret golden documents, Islam; a guy who said an angel came down and talked to him in a cave, Protestantism; a guy who got fed up with Catholicism, Buddism, a guy who sat under a tree for a really, really long time … the list goes on and on. Religions get started in all sorts of weird ways.

A project on the development of new religions might be interesting in and of itself, in fact, and discussing Jediism as one of the youngest religions could easily be part of that.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 4 months ago #46097 by RyuJin
interesting, i did a similar project for philosophy class almost 2 years ago...my professor had a phd in philosophy so i knew i had to really work to pique her interest and get a good grade...my essay was titled Rise of a Religion i wound up getting a B on it (points off for sentence structure/puncuation) i also managed to get her asking several questions as well as managed to get a lot of other students asking questions...no one really gave me that weird look though so i must of made a decent impression...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 4 months ago #46100 by Jestor

Lycaenion wrote: All right well i have a AP human geography class and we have to do a project on a religion.So naturaly i realy wanted to do Jediism.I brought it up in conversation that Jediism in the UK is the 4th largest religion,just to see how my teacher would take that.I realy think hes a great teacher and everything but it was rather disapointing when he responded with a "realy?..thats sad" and did that,thats realy weird smerk.i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to maybe change his views on it.It kind of annoyed me because hes normaly such an open minded person.Any advice on what i should include on this project and any pointers on how to even get him to let me do it on Jediism would be apreciated.Thanks!

Sorry I missed this post, sometimes I am asleep at the keyboard...

Always, I ask, "Why do you say that?"

Then you get the same, worship Yoda crap...

When my wife started with her... belittling of this Life of a Jedi, I said, "You really shouldn't comment or judge things of which you have no understanding..." She did not like that...

But, if it is your faith, he has no right to doubt it any more than the belief in God... After all, they all thought the world was round at one time... Except this one guy... Man will never fly either... No human will ever run the two minute mile... Go to the moon...

Pretty extensive list of things in life people said was wrong or foolish... Only later to change their mind...

Even the Christians had a tough beginning... At least they are not burning people anymore....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
12 years 3 months ago #47582 by Alethea Thompson
I've found that the best method to gain respect is to educate people on what the Jedi Path is. I've never had a situation where this failed me (and it's not like my being a Jedi was a secret while I was in Okinawa or Hawaii), but it don't expect it to be 100% proof.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
12 years 2 months ago #48538 by Lycaenion
thanks for all the advice.my teacher ended up getting rid of it do to lack of time,and ended up just giving use a test on religions.it was disapointing.

MTFBWY
IDIC

"I'm not testing you, Obi-Wan. Life tests you! Every day, it brings you new chances for triumph or defeat. And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human"
Qui Gon

"And over our heads will float the blue bird singing of beautiful and impossible things, of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde,When the Blue Bird Sings

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi