Will I learn to control my emotions?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 6 months ago #42296 by Jestor
I had forgotten about this thread...

And I see I've answered already....

But when I read the title, and thought...

Will you learn to tap dance?

Only with practice....
B)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #42298 by Br. John

Brian wrote: I have a temper at times. Recently I have been thinking that it is the dark side that is seducing me in these times. So in thinking that I am being manipulated in this way it helps me to be patient and sit on these emotions when I am feeling particularly wrathful.

Even for The Dark Side there's only so many hours in a day. With it possessing 99% of the Republican party and trying to get Rick Perry nominated for president I doubt it has much time to spend making either you or I loose our tempers. ;)

That's my Dark Side humor for the day so now let's help with your question.

The notion of your emotions getting the best of you is a vivid hallucination. The emotions are as much you as the I that loses to them is. You're actually arm wrestling with yourself - the right arm fighting the left arm.

Will you learn to control your emotions? I don't know. Can you learn to control your emotions? Yes.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #42305 by
What about stress? How to cope with it?
I had a simple situation today. Introduce yourself and your opinion on few things in front of the completely new classmates. I thought it will be something simple. But when I stood there my heart was beating so loud I could hear it, my palms were completely wet and I had this nervous smile-tic. Of course it didn't go as planned. I had some free time before the class so I tried meditating, but it didn't help.
Has any of you had such experiences? How to achieve serenity in moments like this?

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #42311 by Adder

Tseen Keh wrote: What about stress? How to cope with it?

Stress usually seems to be a function of time and its at its highest when either a person is unprepared or without available time to complete a task. I would say there might have been a good amount of fear in your reaction which can be resolved with practise ie; facing your fears. Fearful reactions to the unknown are usually a good thing to an extent.

Stress is much harder to combat because it usually involves external demands which limit your capacity to control your time effectively. So prior planning, preperations, procedures and practise are good methods to combat stress when it develops.

Tseen Keh wrote: I had a simple situation today. Introduce yourself and your opinion on few things in front of the completely new classmates. I thought it will be something simple. But when I stood there my heart was beating so loud I could hear it, my palms were completely wet and I had this nervous smile-tic. Of course it didn't go as planned. I had some free time before the class so I tried meditating, but it didn't help.

See you've actually asked two questions, one how to combat public speaking nerves and two, how to combat nerves to unusual circumstances. To solve the first practise it will do, but to solve the second might be counterproductive because the increased heartbeat etc is your body getting ready to handle what ever is causing the anxiety to begin with.

Tseen Keh wrote: How to achieve serenity in moments like this?

I dont know about serenity, but perhaps tell yourself that you are the subject matter expert in the room and then instead of viewing the audience as judges, you view them as students. Pretend your the teacher while your up there, though be happy and remember your talking to their minds, not their faces or reactions. If you have to take a moment to sort yourself out then consider it a strategic pause to allow your message to sink into their minds rather then a fumbling moment. Obviously you might not be the subject matter expert but its just an avenue to approach public speaking from a position of confidence.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi