My Question 2

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 9 months ago #352431 by
My Question 2 was created by
Hello everyone, today i have a question that i always make to my self.
How do i calm my anger? This is really important for me so if you could please take a moment and share a method with me. I already tried deep breathing, or repeating the code in my mind. But even if it helps me, it doesn't gets the anger out of me.

Thank you. May the Force be with you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #352432 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic My Question 2
I'm not a therapist so nothing I say comes from someone qualified... however I did used to have a temper and am still quite impatient so I know something of what you are probably feeling.

For me, I try to ask myself how important what I'm getting angry over is. How important is it in 10 minutes from now, 10 hours, 10 days etc? Then I tell myself, it's not important. Then I remind myself that anger is not a constructive feeling, to be constructive it has to lead into something else that is not anger.

Learning to de-escalate your own anger is tough and it requires an acceptance that it will be difficult because you have to let go of something which are quite firmly attached to... namely the anger. Learning to 'let go' is a lot of the battle.

Mindfulness can be a useful tool to grounding you in the now, see for example here https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mindfulness-getting-started/

However I do say that if you find that anger is an obstacle in your daily life seeing a counsellor is a very good idea. Although difficult in the current time, there are a number of online therapy sites which may be able to help you start off.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo, Jake Nislan,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 9 months ago #352433 by
Replied by on topic My Question 2
Thank you!

More
3 years 9 months ago #352460 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic My Question 2

LuckyBamboo wrote: Hello everyone, today i have a question that i always make to my self.
How do i calm my anger? This is really important for me so if you could please take a moment and share a method with me. I already tried deep breathing, or repeating the code in my mind. But even if it helps me, it doesn't gets the anger out of me.

Thank you. May the Force be with you.

Short answer: Humble yourself.

I speak from experience when I say it's easy to become angered over the shortcomings, or perceived shortcomings of those both within your community or those of humanity as en entity.

This is why I mentioned in the previous thread that the code, while a great foundation for daily life; is useless by itself.

Long answer:

Examine the triggers, causes, or reasons behind your anger. Does hearing others talk about you behind your back get you hot under the collar? Does rule-breaking or otherwise illegal activity get you red in the face? Perhaps improper grammar or spelling structure unnerves your otherwise educated and well balanced intellect.

To credit Edan above as well, this is all simply a different explanation of the same "mindfulness" that she suggested.

With youth comes rage; with age comes wisdom.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, Carlos.Martinez3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 9 months ago #352505 by
Replied by on topic My Question 2
I see that you have the experience, and I wanted to ask you the same but about fear. Yesterday I saw a picture of Shaye St. John (don't search for it if you think you could get scared too) and I used my method to end fear, I just watched pictures of her, looking at her directly in the eyes. I also used knowledge, I convinced myself that it's just a mask. Anyways, my mind does not fear it, but right now it is an obstacle because I meditate next to a bed, and I think you can guess what happens to me...
What else can I do?

More
3 years 9 months ago #352526 by Kohadre

LuckyBamboo wrote: I see that you have the experience, and I wanted to ask you the same but about fear. Yesterday I saw a picture of Shaye St. John (don't search for it if you think you could get scared too) and I used my method to end fear, I just watched pictures of her, looking at her directly in the eyes. I also used knowledge, I convinced myself that it's just a mask. Anyways, my mind does not fear it, but right now it is an obstacle because I meditate next to a bed, and I think you can guess what happens to me...
What else can I do?

"If zombie bites you, bite it the &*#@ back..:

Facing your fears is usually the most effective means of which to rob the power which they hold over you. I used to be terrified of heights, so I forced myself to begin rock climbing in order to eliminate the power which that fear held over me. Similarly, I used to be terrified of explosions; so I took several firearms instruction courses and invested in significant amounts of range time.

Fear is a weird emotion, because as you've mentioned there is both rational fear as well as irrational fear. A rational fear may be becoming lost in a foreign town/city which you perceive to be hostile or otherwise unwelcoming to your intrusion (gangland turf, criminal neighborhoods, etc.). An irrational fear would more-so be what appears to be a poorly constructed paper-mace' puppet.

The point between the two is again, summarized; fear only holds as much power as you choose to give it.

As far as meditation is concerned, I may be going up against the grade of the rest of the forum with personal practice; so please take my advise with a bit of skepticism.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

I find most meditation really doesn't help those practicing it, because it is used to escape from their problems as opposed to facing those problems.

When I meditate, I'll listen to heavy metal, recordings of industrial machinery, gunfire, maori/mongolian/tribal chant, etc. I do this because this meditation is training my unconscious mind to hold that same state of mental and emotional calm in situations that warrant panic.

It's easy to be calm and in a state of serenity when you're relaxing on a soft couch, cold drink nearby; some spa music playing in the background. Maintaining that same state of calm when someone is screaming in your face however, is both much more difficult and much more commendable.

Hopefully, some of that will help you.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake Nislan,

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352532 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic My Question 2
I would NEVER bite a zombie.

Every heart is different. Every Force is different.
Fear is a very real thing - what we fear - May not be. To us - it’s real. To others it may not.

As a Modern day Jedi - we have the ability to choose our vices and our devices to rid us of our vices. (Hope that came out right)

There is a old saying - there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

There are so many ways to do the same thing like there are so many ways to describe the Force. If there are 7.5 BILLION people in the world - bet you me there are 7.5 billion ways to describe the Force. Inherently all are correct. Soooo which do we choose? Who’s advice and who’s qualified to give at that rate?

All we do here is share. I love it. What may work for one may work for a few and so on. Just try. A Temple like this ISNT here to tell others exactly what to do as much as we are saying to try. Try along with us. We have so many different types of Jed in this place, I look forward to the day we can ALL add a huge list of answers NEVER in opposition, but along with.
For every question I wish we had an answer from EVERY version of Jedi present.

Fear is real.

Frequency can often HELP with things we fear.

Frequency

Some fears are real some are only inside. Which is which? Which can be ignored which can be learned and respected ?
It’s a big idea - the idea we can reflect and think about our selfs and our feelings isn’t just a Jedi but in every one of us. It’s a human thing. HOW we deal with it ... that’s to each of us to choose. I always identified with the Hero’s in the stories and sagas.
Call it a free education.

Feel free to contact me directly here or anywhere else. This place is full of good things to try. We got good people here and great things happening.
May the Force be with you as you continue to seek it.
Pastor Carlos

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, Jake Nislan

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #352533 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic My Question 2
Edit

Each film had someone confronting difficult fears and personal paths. The hidden or the dark parts we don’t talk about. Things we all have to face eventually. It’s a common theme in any Hero’s Journey.
We all share that

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake Nislan

More
3 years 9 months ago #352555 by Kohadre

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: I would NEVER bite a zombie.

Pastor Carlos

Getting way off topic here, I know; however.

You're technically already a zombie at that point, so you might as well...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 9 months ago #352628 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic My Question 2
These are excellent responses. The only thing I would add is that we should trust our feelings - but not in a superficial way. If you find yourself over-reacting to something, try not to blame yourself, its a valid sign and your consiousness is trying to communicate something. Deep breathing or mantra chanting are valid interventions to quell the symptoms of anger - but they, alone, are unlikely to address the cause.

If you find your anger is easily triggered and persistent, it often means that there is something underlying, unaddressed, that you have not yet made peace with. This underlying root cause is not the superficial event that triggered your anger. It is much more likely to be something lurking in your past that, like a ghost, is haunting and interfering with your present.

Its easier said than done, but forgiving the people at the root cause of your anger (its almost always people, rather than 'things') is the only real way to move forwards. Often that means forgiving ourselves. If we are honest with ourselves, we often find we are angry with ourselves - and then we get angry about how easily angered we are . . .

Forgiveness is the way to break the cycle!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym, Jake Nislan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi