My avatar

More
6 years 6 months ago #300300 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic My avatar

Senan wrote: I have PMd Br. John and Ren myself to ask them to look into it. I'll let you know if I hear, but you should PM them as well if you haven't already.

Did that two minutes after I made the thread

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #300344 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic My avatar
All graphics are in a particular directory.

For example Senan's is https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/images/avatar/3f3a6b71edd3426bdb1a6962.jpg .

A solid white, or something that is close to white will be deleted. It makes a blank space in the forum. Any visible color is fine. Red, green, blue, and so on, as long as it does not look like a blank space. An automated program is almost complete to go through this directory https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/images/avatar/ and delete any all white, near white or clear graphics.

A white square with a user name or text in it is fine since it's not a blank space.

Nobody is going in anyone's account and changing anything. White squares (or near white) are being deleted at the system level. When they are they systems default avatar appears.

Just as the programmer of the site decides the fonts, layouts, colors, and so on, this is a programming and a sysadmin decision on the appearance of the site.

This is now a Term of Service. Continued use of the site constitutes an acceptance of this.

Founder of The Order

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #300346 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic My avatar
We've never censored avatars before. The fact that we are now (and only against those that were supposedly a part of a protest) and suddenly making it against the rules without any announcement or contacting if the users who have had theirs set that way feels.... Arbitrary to me at best, or intentionally acting against those who spoke up previously at worst. That's just how it comes across to me, though others have expressed the same opinion to me.

That said, I for one have mine set to what it is (was) for a very personal reason that frankly has nothing to do with any whiteout protest or what have you. It was just coincidence really that I figured out how to upload a transparent png at the same time. If you want that reason, feel free to PM me. Either way... I play this game and just go back to what I had been using before to convey the same meaning.

Edit: For what it's worth, the more appropriate way to have done this would have been to either contact us privately or publicly posted that the rules were changing. Not "deleting" things overnight without telling anyone and then saying after the fact it's cause "rules changed" or what have you because you got questioned on it. Just a suggestion for future reference.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Avalon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300347 by
Replied by on topic My avatar
Then can we please get an explanation why this only affected members that have been recently active. There are some members that were part of whiteout that still have whiteout avatars. This seems to have only affected members that have been active in the past week.

Also, solid white JPEG or a transparent PNG takes up the same amount of space as any other image. How can a system go through and find those that appear to have no... detail or whatever, and replace it with the standard avatar. I've done programming before and don't understand how this could be possible...

More
6 years 6 months ago #300348 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic My avatar
Why is this a new policy and when did it get put into place? There was nothing in Council about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Kobos,

More
6 years 6 months ago #300349 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic My avatar
And my last question to add to the mix: when will there actually be something in writing on it on the rules / terms and condition page? Cause it's not there currently.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300351 by
These are all fair questions and I will try to get answers posted for all to see when I am completely clear. It will get added to the Terms and Conditions.

While this is a sensitive issue because of the personal nature of avatars, it is still something that falls under system admin concerning the function and appearance of the site. It is no different than signatures, except that this was not publicly announced beforehand as it should have been.

As this is implemented, please remember that we are all being watched and judged by our reactions. Emotion is expected, but we need to remain respectful of each other and patient. If there is one thing I learned from last time around, it was that all of us moved too quickly without considering the impact of our actions. Let's not do that again.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300355 by

Br. John wrote: An automated program is almost complete to go through this directory https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/images/avatar/ and delete any all white, near white or clear graphics.

You literally have nothing better to do in the Jedi Temple you created than waste time on a crusade against avatars which aren't to your personal taste?

Just incredible. Just when I believed you and Ren couldn't discredit yourselves any further. Keep lowering that bar, guys.

More
6 years 6 months ago #300357 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic My avatar
Forgotten but not gone.

Founder of The Order

More
6 years 6 months ago #300365 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic My avatar

Br. John wrote: Forgotten but not gone.

Have you learned nothing?? Cut the shit and start acting like adults PLEASE!

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi