Profiles - Gender

More
7 years 5 months ago #260621 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Profiles - Gender

MartaLina wrote: None of my replies were un- emphatic, the suggestion that you make that the box should not be removed because Totjo does not want to adress the issue is in my opinion not valid

MartaLina, do you genuinely not see how these two parts of this statement are at odds with one another?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #260633 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender

steamboat28 wrote:

MartaLina wrote: None of my replies were un- emphatic, the suggestion that you make that the box should not be removed because Totjo does not want to adress the issue is in my opinion not valid

MartaLina, do you genuinely not see how these two parts of this statement are at odds with one another?

No i dont see how not agreeing with someone is un- emphatic , and i dont see the logic of a box that , nobody here wants to remove because we dont want to adress the issue, and a box cannot tell us ones gender or sex this can better be explained in the About Me section
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #260634 by
I agree with the gender selection of male, female, or other. I feel that it is most fitting with the spirit of the Temple and the tolerance we teach. Transgender is real and respect for all life includes them.

More
7 years 5 months ago #260637 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Profiles - Gender
What else could you identify as?

Born Male identify as Male: Male
Born Male identify as Female: Female
Born Female identify as Female: Female
Born Female identify as Male: Male

I'm being legit- what are the genders out there that people identify as? If we look at Tumblr, the list is ENORMOUS. The only real solution would be to have write ins. And even then, the problem we are still going to run into is pronouns. Because if someone identifies as Neutrois (which I just picked up off a random list) or gender nuetral it's going to be difficult for anyone to sit there and figure out which pronoun fits when addressing that person in the third person. (I mean, don't get me wrong, the other solution is to just constantly refer to them by their name, but even then the problem is that it gets to a point where putting someone's name constantly in a paragraph looks condescending :/ And that's not typically the intent when dealing with unknowns of gender pronouns).

If we include various genders, we must also include a "Preferred pronoun" section, which would also need to be written in.

Or, conversely, we can get rid of gender listings altogether.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Tarran,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #260640 by
So we should take the easy road over the righteous road?

More
7 years 5 months ago #260642 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Profiles - Gender

Alethea Thompson wrote: What else could you identify as?

I'm being legit- what are the genders out there that people identify as? If we look at Tumblr, the list is ENORMOUS. The only real solution would be to have write ins. And even then, the problem we are still going to run into is pronouns. Because if someone identifies as Neutrois (which I just picked up off a random list) or gender nuetral it's going to be difficult for anyone to sit there and figure out which pronoun fits when addressing that person in the third person. (I mean, don't get me wrong, the other solution is to just constantly refer to them by their name, but even then the problem is that it gets to a point where putting someone's name constantly in a paragraph looks condescending :/ And that's not typically the intent when dealing with unknowns of gender pronouns).

If we include various genders, we must also include a "Preferred pronoun" section, which would also need to be written in.

Or, we can just add the option for 'other'... which is what I suggested 12 pages ago before this whole thing turned into a farce.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #260644 by
Perhaps a poll vote would settle the debate without further harm done?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #260645 by

Edan wrote:

Or, we can just add the option for 'other'... which is what I suggested 12 pages ago before this whole thing turned into a farce.

Other does not address preferred pronoun usage.

More
7 years 5 months ago #260647 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Profiles - Gender

Desolous wrote:

Edan wrote:

Other does not address preferred pronoun usage.

That's why I suggested 'other - please ask'.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 5 months ago #260652 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender
Yea but then what about the people who don't want to be asked?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi