Training outside of the Temple

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244624 by
In Br. John's interview with the Huffington Post, he says that not matter what sect of the Jedi you belong to, we are all Jedi. So, if one of us were to train under another master outside of TotJO, how would you guys feel about that ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244626 by
Replied by on topic Training outside of the Temple
It wouldn't count for any points or any creadit what so ever here at TOTJO

But its no reason to NOT explore other venue's In my honest opinion. I personally encourage it and have had several Masters, Teachers, Students, Friends and Family outside of this temple. :)

Disclaimer: This is all just from my perspective and not the voice of TOTJO

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244632 by
From what i understood you can study whatever you want whereever you want and some here do , but the "Points" are not interchangeble , so you can be a Knight here and a Novice at another site. You can only become a Knight here when you succesfully went through Apprenticeship here , and that goes for some of the other sites aswell , but thats just what i gathered from the info i got here
Someone correct me if i am wrong ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244636 by
Correct

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #244639 by

Silas Mercury wrote: In Br. John's interview with the Huffington Post, he says that not matter what sect of the Jedi you belong to, we are all Jedi. So, if one of us were to train under another master outside of TotJO, how would you guys feel about that ?

When talking about a change of style/master: Back in the old days, moving to an other Ryƫ (within/outside the discipline) was like dishonoring your master and his philosophy. These days people are moving themselves everywhere, want to learn about something else? You can easily move away, and if you do not like it there, you can simply move back! :) Change for a Jedi can come as a second nature, for some it is not.

I may sound a little bit traditional.. But personally I have a strong value for loyalty, though it may not always be handy, staying in one way gives me some kind of assurance that I can focus myself. If I would move away to train under someone else, my mind would spin around way too much.. It can be good to explore things and study things outside the used ways for some.. Everyone is different and I appreciate that a lot. :blush:

~ Aqua
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 10 months ago #244640 by Jestor
TOTJO is not the sole authority on being a jedi, but is one of many, lol...

I too felt like Aqua on the loyalty bit, but, I've never stopped others seeking knowledge away from here, because, quite honestly, its less about what the teacher/master wants, and more about what the student needs... ;)

Lessons are everywhere, and a "good jedi" will see them, and learn from them....

At least as I see it.... :)

~sent from the Hitchhiker's Guide, inside my GalaxyS7~

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Alexandre Orion, Amaya, , Leah Starspectre,

More
7 years 10 months ago #244648 by Loudzoo
When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was referring to the 50%-99.9% we spend away from the Temple (apologies to those who spend more than half their existence here :P ). For most of us the majority of life takes place outside the Temple and life IS training, whether we realise it or not.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Edan, , OB1Shinobi, and 1 other people also said thanks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244654 by
The whole point of a "Hero's Journey.." Is to actually get out there and run over many pot holes in the road ;)

More
7 years 10 months ago #244657 by Breeze el Tierno
Just make sure your teacher is worth a damn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Zenchi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #244663 by
Training outside the Temple vs. training at other "temples". :) I was on the wrong side of that when I first saw the topic title.

No one ever told me I had to walk away from my positions at other training sites in order to study here, and it's not like I made it a secret that I study elsewhere as well.

But I don't see it as a loyalty thing, and certainly not as disrespect to any other site at which I am or have been a member. As was stated earlier, different schools emphasize different things. (Warning: I'm about to throw around a couple of labels, just to illustrate a point. Doesn't mean I adhere to them all that much.) I worked on the "realist" bit of the Path for a long while before I was ready to embrace the "-ism" part of the Path. What changed in me was a desire to ensure that I was training the spirit as much as the mind and body.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi