Being a Jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218466 by
Being a Jedi was created by
This I just a question that I have always thought about since I started following Jediism. When people ask what you believe in (faith wise) do you tell them that you are a Jedi or do you keep it a secret so that you do not stand out and can carry out good deads from the shadows per say? If you understand where I'm coming from I have seen questions being asked about should we wear Jedi robes and most people answer we do not as we don't want to make a scene and make everyone pay attention to us, we should just blend in and carry out our Jedi ways inonamously.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #218467 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Being a Jedi
I'm a syncretic/philosophical Jedi, so I usually only tell people when it comes up. I don't hide it, but if you start trying to fit it into conversations that don't suit the information, you come off as one of those annoying people that talks about X too much, whatever your X may be.

That said, the issue of the robes is multi-faceted. Firstly, people will confuse us with "movie-Jedi", and assume we're playing pretend. That kind of negative press is something we really don't need. Secondly, hooded robes are a security issue in many public places, because they can obscure the face, and there have already been 'Jedi' flauting local laws because "muh relijus freedumbz" that make the rest of us look bad by association. Additionally, the draw to lightsaber hilts and robes as necessary rather than simply optional personal expressions of fandom borders on attachment, and attachment is the kind of nonsense that will keep you unhappy.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Loudzoo,

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #218475 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Being a Jedi
I generally tell people whatever I think they need to hear (i.e. dependent on the person - although I realize that assuming that I know best what someone else should hear is a somewhat arrogant and therefore flawed approach :pinch:)...

If I think there's a chance that they might give it fair consideration, I tell them 'Jediism' (along with an explanation, of course).

If I think that the word 'Jediism' will be likely to be an obstacle to their understanding I just give them the explanation but without using any identifying words (Jedi, Force, Star Wars, etc). There are a number of people that I've eased-in in this way, and then later told them that it's 'Jediism', by which point they barely bat an eyelid.

In response to your specific question relating to whether or not our 'good deeds' should be performed anonymously...I certainly wouldn't want people to think that I do good things (if I do good things :dry: ) because I am a Jedi and I am therefore duty-bound to do it. I try to do good things because it's the right thing to do (for a variety of reasons), not because I am a Jedi. But, there are times when identifying oneself as a Jedi can enable you to help people - particularly for those who are Clergy/Ministers and identify themselves as such. I read a beautiful example just yesterday of one of our Clergy being able to help a non-Jedi friend in a Ministerial capacity.

I don't think there's a right answer to the conundrum really...although if you want to make it publicly known that you're Jedi, I would suggest that no, using robes as a form of public announcement probably wont really help anyone to understand what you actually do. I'd always suggest using words to explain, in whatever form(s) seems to work best for getting the message across to the number/breadth of people that you want to inform... :)

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Loudzoo,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218484 by
Replied by on topic Being a Jedi

steamboat28 wrote: I'm a syncretic/philosophical Jedi, so I usually only tell people when it comes up. I don't hide it, but if you start trying to fit it into conversations that don't suit the information, you come off as one of those annoying people that talks about X too much, whatever your X may be.

That said, the issue of the robes is multi-faceted. Firstly, people will confuse us with "movie-Jedi", and assume we're playing pretend. That kind of negative press is something we really don't need. Secondly, hooded robes are a security issue in many public places, because they can obscure the face, and there have already been 'Jedi' flauting local laws because "muh relijus freedumbz" that make the rest of us look bad by association. Additionally, the draw to lightsaber hilts and robes as necessary rather than simply optional personal expressions of fandom borders on attachment, and attachment is the kind of nonsense that will keep you unhappy.

Thank you SteamBoat28 for your guidance that's exactly what I didn't want to do, make people feel we are just copying the movies and its just fantasy. But I really do believe and follow Jediism its who I am as person and I feel this is what I should follow and uphold. I totally agree with what your saying about not hiding the truth behind what I believe in and as you said I will just tell the people who I feel will understand and not push my beliefs into them, just make it general conversation.

Thanks once again your advice is much appreciated :)

-WhiteFox

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218485 by

V-Tog wrote: I generally tell people whatever I think they need to hear (i.e. dependent on the person - although I realize that assuming that I know best what someone else should hear is a somewhat arrogant and therefore flawed approach :pinch:)...

If I think there's a chance that they might give it fair consideration, I tell them 'Jediism' (along with an explanation, of course).

If I think that the word 'Jediism' will be likely to be an obstacle to their understanding I just give them the explanation but without using any identifying words (Jedi, Force, Star Wars, etc). There are a number of people that I've eased-in in this way, and then later told them that it's 'Jediism', by which point they barely bat an eyelid.

In response to your specific question relating to whether or not our 'good deeds' should be performed anonymously...I certainly wouldn't want people to think that I do good things (if I do good things :dry: ) because I am a Jedi and I am therefore duty-bound to do it. I try to do good things because it's the right thing to do (for a variety of reasons), not because I am a Jedi. But, there are times when identifying oneself as a Jedi can enable you to help people - particularly for those who are Clergy/Ministers and identify themselves as such. I read a beautiful example just yesterday of one of our Clergy being able to help a non-Jedi friend in a Ministerial capacity.

I don't think there's a right answer to the conundrum really...although if you want to make it publicly known that you're Jedi, I would suggest that no, using robes as a form of public announcement probably wont really help anyone to understand what you actually do. I'd always suggest using words to explain, in whatever form(s) seems to work best for getting the message across to the number/breadth of people that you want to inform... :)

Greetings V-Tog, and thank you also for your guidance it is much appreciated. You make another valid set of points that have helped me gain answers to my question. As SteamBoat28 also shared your view on its your choice of whom you speak to about our beliefs as I don't want them being seen as a fantasy based on a set of films, when it means so much more than that in regards to being a real life Jedi. I also agree with not making myself publically known by wearing robes as this in turn could cause many issues and put our faith under a lot of scrutiny which I do not want. I am going to uphold my Jedi beliefs and use to help and guide others as you both have me. But not only because I am a Jedi and its my duty but because I want to help others by being a good person, which I always strive to do each and every day no matter big all small the difference I can make.

Many thanks again V-Tog :)

-WhiteFox

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #219984 by
I tell people I follow Jediism, if they don't like it I pretend to force choke them :D

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #220009 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Being a Jedi

WhiteFox wrote: This I just a question that I have always thought about since I started following Jediism. When people ask what you believe in (faith wise) do you tell them that you are a Jedi or do you keep it a secret so that you do not stand out and can carry out good deads from the shadows per say?

What do I 'believe'! I'd like to start of saying something like.... probably the potential in each person, and animal. That it manifests through some dedication in application of self, which for me is a mix of practises from various existing religions and spiritualities together with my own life experiences and creativity.

If they push further I'd say it translates across a range of domains being biology, psychology, social, with application areas in discrete categories of behaviour for example the theory of multiple intelligences. Then I'd meander around to the symbology about all this for me, which was most meaningful personally, which is the entry point to linking to Jediism. Justified by my early exposure and upbringing but reinforced by the foundation talked about in the 'Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed' - which would be where I'd point them if they wanted to learn more. Mention of this site would be dependent on their level of interest.

I should copy this and post it on a note for my wallet just in case someone asks me!!! Thanks for asking the question WhiteFox!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #220025 by
I believe to truly accept the Jedi path one must be honest with themselves. If someone asks...I tell them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #220068 by
Jediism is a syncretistic religion. It joins the best things of each religion to something even better. I think it is not necessary to hide, only a good explanation

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi