The Maxims and Voting Season

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218270 by
Hello! As I was reading through the 21 Maxims, I found one that I would like some clarification on.

Discretion: To Become Invisible
A Jedi knows there is a time and place for all things. They do not actively interfere in worldly affairs and refrain from overtly supporting or opposing other individuals or organizations.

What line is crossed for one to "overtly support or oppose", especially in this voting season (or are politics not the focus of this maxim)? If someone could help me understand this particular piece, it would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Alyssa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #218276 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic The Maxims and Voting Season
Now... I personally have issue with some of this maxim (I may have even posted about it before) because I think Jedi should support organisations which they truly believe in.. and sometimes this does mean being visible.

I would take this maxim therefore to mean that you shouldn't do anything, support anyone etc. for exposure simply for yourself. You're not supporting, for example, "Tom Cruise for President" because it makes you look good, or because you get something out of it. Jedi don't need to be in the forefront to support organisations to do good.. sometimes in fact being visible could harm an organisation or cause instead of help it.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218278 by
Replied by on topic The Maxims and Voting Season
I think I understand better now. The overt display would be more of a spectacle rather than just a strong conviction. Thanks, Edan!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #218280 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic The Maxims and Voting Season
There are times to speak up, and there are times to remain silent...

But, you are the one that decides which is which....;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
8 years 3 months ago #218281 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic The Maxims and Voting Season
Personally, I wouldn't interpret it as saying that you shouldn't ever pick a side, as it were...more that publicly championing a cause is potentially problematic.

The way I see it is that we shouldn't try to influence or manipulate the thinking of others...they are more than capable of making up their own minds and don't need us to be telling them who or what to support. Just because we particularly like or approve of something or someone out there, it doesn't necessarily make it the right option for everyone else, and so we have to be careful not to confuse our personal opinion with 'the greater good', if you see what I mean...

That's just one possible interpretation...I'm sure others will have a different understanding. Hope that helps!

And, just to add...you are of course perfectly allowed to disagree with parts of our doctrine. If you find it problematic, I'd suggest focusing on the idea of 'discretion' and forming your own interpretation of what that would entail. :)

B.Div | OCP

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218410 by
These posts reminded me a lot about the attached picture. Social media really makes the idea of this maxim more prominent.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218542 by
My thoughts and perspective would fall under the general philosophy that if you don't support something benevolent, you are allowing for that which is malevolent by default of such inactivity.

The only thing I would recommend is to seek as much viable information as possible for the purpose of establishing what it is that you will support. There are multitudes of "interest groups" that present information only if it suits their purpose / desires. It is the responsibility of those seeking the knowledge to be as well informed in every regard in order to rationally deduce the truths one seeks (to the greatest extent one can do so) and rend a legitimate action.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218552 by
After I wrote this response, I was reminded by a bit of philosophy I personally believe to be true:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218575 by
Replied by on topic Mythology as a Precedent
If you examine our mythology, Jedi have always come to choose a side in times where it is most needed, and often quite visible as well. If you look at the Clone Wars myth, the Jedi very clearly chose to support the Republic and even became commanders on the front lines. In the older mythology, Ben Kenobi and Luke both are obvious supporters of the Rebellion and actively fight in the war.

To look at this in our terms, it is not un-Jedi to publicly throw our support behind a cause that is true to the ways of our Temple. Whether it is political, social, environmental, etc..., I believe that the Jedi should demonstrate their support for issues of justice.

More
8 years 3 months ago #218593 by Alexandre Orion
I have a little different up-take on the Maxims. But then, I'm weird ...

Discretion : The Jedi cares not for prestige nor recognition ; acting as an agent of the Force, doing only what works present themselves as right in the clarity of stillness, the Jedi may act without 'doing' and the flow continues undisturbed.

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi