What to do with negative thoughts/depression?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148436 by
Greetings Each

Having come of a course at Combat Stress here in the UK have PTSD. There are so many reasons that any individual will have negative thoughts , feel inadiquete, unwanted etc.

Actually what other people think of you. is none of your business. Happiness, self belief, has to come from within. The best place to start is not trying to be accepted by other but accept yourself for who you are. Do not search for happiness who will just become an expert at searching. PRACTICE Happiness..always.

Rumination anxiety depression disassociation detachment all interlink at some point and as we are all individuals we will differ in coping with such things.

The course taught me to identify the 'Triggers' which set these negative emotions off. You have stop and breathe. There is no quick fix you just have to do things step by step inch by inch and practice.

You are whatever you perceive yourself to be you thoughts determine what happens next. Mindfullness is also a good coping stratagy . It teaches you to focus on the very moment you are in. The past is past and done with. It is in the now that matters clear the mind and focus . 'Munen Mushin' No thought no mind .gives absolute clarity :)

Fix a smile on your face fill your spirit with vigour and let no one take it from you and share it with all that you encounter :)

Ki guide and protect

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148464 by
It would depend on what is causing these feelings. If this is depression (the mental illness) rather than depression (the feeling of sadness) then the best treatment would be seeing a doctor. A lot of people with depression know that what they think and feel is wrong, but that doesn't stop them feeling that way. One thing that you can try would be forcing yourself to do something new, to break the cycle of repetitive daily activities, it doesn't matter what it might be, just force yourself to do something different. I would encourage being outside, because that stimulates cortisol in your brain making you feel more awake and better.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148469 by
What do I do with negative thoughts or depression?

Have them.

Life isnt all about sunshine and rainbows.

Most times such things persist because they are not given there due time or attention.

There is nothing wrong with feeling depressed, or having negative thoughts.

That kind of thinking actually puts undue strain, pressure, and and attempt to repress of deny them.

What do you do with positive thoughts and happiness?

Life is change.

Experience every part of it, because one thing you can be sure of, is that it will change.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148473 by
As EEJim the use of meditation is an effective way to control negative and depressive thoughts. I have found it is not just about recognizing them. They also come with physical effects on the body. There are meditation techniques that help you to accept that you do think these things. Accepting does not mean you have to believe what the voice in your head is saying, but recognizing it is there can allow you to come to terms and understand why. The techniques can also teach you to become aware of your surroundings and physical feelings which can help assess where the negative and depressive thoughts are coming from. I personally use mindfulness to help me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148474 by
I think there have been a lot of good ideas mentioned in this thread on how to deal with depression and negative thoughts. For myself, I found working a 12-step program very helpful. During that time I developed a relationship with a higher power. Before I entered the program I was very depressed. But working this program helped with dealing with the depression and negative thoughts. My higher power is comforting and soothing and counsels me to think more positively when I am tempted to think in negative ways.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi