Why Do People Shoot Strangers

More
10 years 4 months ago #123815 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Why Do People Shoot Strangers
I agree with a lot that has been said but I also want to add I feel much of it has to do with a lack of respect. A person to aim a deadly weapon at another human being who shows insufficient threat, is to show an utter lack of respect for simple human life.

But there are a million reasons. Parents failed to teach respect, kids failed to learn, mental disabilities, disconnection between reality and fantasy. A thirst to feel power. No idea. I've taken a job with the full knowledge that I will be responsible for carrying weapons but that is in defense of me, my comrades, and my country. I won't even point Airsoft weapons at people outside of the game field. I can't imagine aiming a deadly weapon at some random person. I couldn't do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #123817 by
Replied by on topic Why Do People Shoot Strangers
Not completely connected to the OP, but I thought of it after seeing Jayden's avatar:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends" -- Gandalf.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 4 months ago #123819 by Brenna
The expression "impotent fury" always comes to mind when I think about people who do this sort of thing.

I believe that what they do is in part a response to a constant and overpowering need to do something. To take action of any kind that even temporarily releases whatever frustration, anguish or indeed anger they are holding onto. I think it is in part a form of emotional release.

But at the same time, I wonder if it not just that these people have thrown off the expectations of behaving like reasonable members of society. I read a very interesting article the other day about peoples online behavior vs their offline behaviour. Seemingly ordinary, mild mannered people living an online life of truely horrific and illigal behaviour. People who when finally caught fight for legal name suppression, knowing full well that their disgusting online behavior will result in losing everything.

Have the people who shoot strangers maybe just reached a point where the concequences dont matter?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 4 months ago #123823 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Why Do People Shoot Strangers

Learn_To_Know wrote: Not completely connected to the OP, but I thought of it after seeing Jayden's avatar:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends" -- Gandalf.

I've always loved that quote.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 4 months ago #123824 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Why Do People Shoot Strangers
Brenna, what can anyone do online that's so bad? steal credit card numbers?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #123826 by

ren wrote: Brenna, what can anyone do online that's so bad? steal credit card numbers?

They can do all kinds of things. Cyber-bullying (which has led to people committing suicide), trolls (which we see a lot of all over), stealing money and personal information, fraud... if it can be done in the real world it can usually be done online as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #123864 by
I
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #123865 by
I believe that the answer to this question is simple; violence is nature. Though it is a sad truth.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi