Downloading Coursework for Initiates

More
10 years 5 months ago #120379 by Wescli Wardest
As much as people don’t seem to like change, change is the only universal constant. Hahahhaha :P

So I am not a fan of “keeping things as they are.”
I like the idea of developing original content for the IP. I would also like to keep certain things as they are though. (IE: Joseph Campbell) And I think that offering links to where the materials can be purchased is a good thing. Not sure how I feel about making a profit off it though. (If I got your meaning on that?)

If we were to create an original content for the IP then we could reference other materials and not be in copyright violation. But I’m not sure how that all works. It’s not really my area of expertise. *shrug*

I like the idea of our doctrine being a living source… changing and growing as we do. And one day we very well may have a completely original training program unique to us and our philosophies and where we reference others as an “in addition to.” That would be awesome in my opinion. Then, we could have all of our senior members allow access for downloads and perhaps be a part of the BitTorrent swarm with little worry.

Definitely kewl ideas to kick around. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #120384 by steamboat28

Wescli Wardest wrote: I like the idea of developing original content for the IP...I think that offering links to where the materials can be purchased is a good thing. Not sure how I feel about making a profit off it though. (If I got your meaning on that?)

It wouldn't be a profit; any affiliate-related proceeds would be optional at the discretion of the council, and would feed directly into whatever source is used to fund the site. Think of it as a boost to the Donate button.

If we were to create an original content for the IP then we could reference other materials and not be in copyright violation...I would also like to keep certain things as they are though. (IE: Joseph Campbell)

I think the best course of action is to create original content that cites and references the content we currently have, plus any new content that may be added. In this way, there is a definite reference to these things, but they are being interpreted anew (and added to!) by the local TotJO scholars, which gives them an even more unique perspective.

I like the idea of our doctrine being a living source… changing and growing as we do. And one day we very well may have a completely original training program unique to us and our philosophies and where we reference others as an “in addition to.” That would be awesome in my opinion.

I would love to see this happen, too. Much like the fictional Jedi prove their mastery by building their own lightsaber, I believe that this Temple will ultimately only better itself by crafting its own teaching materials, and for my small part, I will do whatever I can to aid in this.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #121279 by
Sorry for jumping into this conversation a bit late, but I wanted to suggest the use of JDownloader to those having problems downloading. It's a free (partially open source) download manager for PC, Mac, and Linux that can pause/resume and pick-up where you left off if you get disconnected (automatically, if you wish).

I tested it with files that are stored on TotJO's website (library.templeofthejediorder.org) and there were no issues. Resume worked perfectly (after pausing the download and after disconnecting by closing the program suddenly or disabling my internet connection).

I went through the IP and verified that all of the IP specific files (audio, video, and text) are stored on TotJO's site, so as far as I can tell JDownloader is a good option for people who only need those files.

There are some files (that are not necessary for the IP) not stored on TotJO's website...

Mediafire seems to have disabled resume functionality (at least for free users). Though, most of the larger files are stored on TotJO's site and most of the files stored on Mediafire are only a few megabytes in size.

I wasn't able to successfully resume files stored on Google Docs/Drive, but there only seem to be a few files in the library that are stored there.

Here is a download link for the JDownloader program:
http://jdownloader.org/download/index

Using JDownloader to download files from the library is fairly simple and doesn't present much of a learning curve.

After installing/loading the program, press the icon that looks like a clipboard (toward the top of the program's window). This will automatically collect any URLs/links that you copy to the clipboard.

Also select the icon directly to the right of that one if you wish JDownloader to automatically reconnect when disconnects occur.

If you go to the library and copy a link to the clipboard (right-click and "Copy link location"/ "Copy shortcut"/ ...) it will then show up in JDownloader's main window.

From there, all you need to do is select the filename in JDownloader's file list (push the "+" to the left of the filename to locate the actual file) and (in the pulldown menu associated with the file) click "Continue with selected link(s)".

In some cases (depending on how you get disconnected), you may find the file grayed out with a message that says, "File not found."

In these instances, you will have to select the file and "Enable" it (in the pulldown menu associated with the file) - then "Resume" it - and, finally, push the play button (the first icon toward the top of the program's window) to resume your download.

Hope this helps some of you!
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi