Dance ?

More
4 years 3 months ago #345792 by Carlos.Martinez3
Dance ? was created by Carlos.Martinez3
Use this thread to answer the following if you like...
I really want to know -

Do you dance?
What makes ya dance?
What type of danc dancing ? Music do you dance?
Who do you dance with? Where did you learn to dance ?
Explain dancing to you - form me to understand your connection with it?

May I ask this of you Temple?

May I have this dance ?
I just kinna wanna see and connect a bit more with others and see where we all are with something as fun as the dance.
What and how does it mean to a Modern Day Jeddist today in yalls path in real life?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym, Kobos, Jake Nislan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #345807 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic Dance ?
Yes!

I've been dancing for about a year. I've been practicing shuffling (cutting shapes) and swing dancing if I have a partner.

Why do I dance? So I don't regret life. I skipped most of my high school dances, and never danced at clubs or parties because it wasn't "manly" or "stoic". Then a year ago I watched this video:

Warning: Spoiler!

That woman is so good at what she does, and it makes her happy. I don't think I've ever been that happy, and I wanted to have the same emotions and the same skill. So I started shuffling (not a fan of techno or EDM, so I dance to classic jazz with a snappy beat). It's great cardio. Mostly I just like developing skills, and shuffling has a very noticeable learning curve. I've got a long way to go, but maybe I'll post some footwork in the future ;) I think there is a lot to be said for dancing triggering FLOW states... and I believe many parallels can be drawn between dancing and meditation.

"I taught myself" probably isn't accurate because I relied so heavily on instruction video. Pick any genre of dance and you can find loads of tutorials.

Dancing connects me to rhythm, culture, music, and other people. It's my outlet for positive physical and emotional expression. It's a skill I can develop and take pride in (though I'm a long way from feeling genuine pride in my dancing skill). Some of my favorite dance tracks include:

I don't think dancing is so important to Jediism that all Jedi should dance, but I do believe any Jedi can cultivate many of the principles of Jediism in dance. It takes a clear and present mind to engage in a dance, because your entire conscience needs to be focused on the rhythm and your footwork. It places you in the Here and Now. I fenced a lot growing up, and this is a much-more-creative outlet for footwork.

What do you do Carlos? Any favorite songs of your own? I'm taking an international dance class right now, so I'm dabbling in the tango, salsa, tap, waltz, polka, and ballet (yikes).

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 3 months ago #345808 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic Dance ?
Also, I think many self proclaimed Jediist are experienced dancers without realizing it. Saber combat, as it's portrayed in the sequels, isn't very realistic (even though it was choreographed by experienced fighters), and contains a lot of unnecessary flourishes and footwork. When people practice this in real life, I think it's more of a dance than disciplined sword combat. I'm not dumbing it down - I still think it requires just as much talent.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal | Skryym's 2022 IP Journal |
B.Div Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #345810 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Dance ?
If it counts every form I practice be it sword, staff or hand is a dance. However, I do cut the rug once in a bit. I prefer to dance to old timey swing music, its just got a nice up beat to it. I also enjoy a good slow dance with the right partner. Love can show itself in many ways even while stepping on another's foot :)

Much Love,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Skryym

More
4 years 3 months ago #345812 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Dance ?

Skryym wrote: Yes!

I've been dancing for about a year. I've been practicing shuffling (cutting shapes) and swing dancing if I have a partner.

Why do I dance? So I don't regret life. I skipped most of my high school dances, and never danced at clubs or parties because it wasn't "manly" or "stoic". Then a year ago I watched this video:

That woman is so good at what she does, and it makes her happy. I don't think I've ever been that happy, and I wanted to have the same emotions and the same skill. So I started shuffling (not a fan of techno or EDM, so I dance to classic jazz with a snappy beat). It's great cardio. Mostly I just like developing skills, and shuffling has a very noticeable learning curve. I've got a long way to go, but maybe I'll post some footwork in the future ;) I think there is a lot to be said for dancing triggering FLOW states... and I believe many parallels can be drawn between dancing and meditation.

"I taught myself" probably isn't accurate because I relied so heavily on instruction video. Pick any genre of dance and you can find loads of tutorials.

Dancing connects me to rhythm, culture, music, and other people. It's my outlet for positive physical and emotional expression. It's a skill I can develop and take pride in (though I'm a long way from feeling genuine pride in my dancing skill). Some of my favorite dance tracks include:

I don't think dancing is so important to Jediism that all Jedi should dance, but I do believe any Jedi can cultivate many of the principles of Jediism in dance. It takes a clear and present mind to engage in a dance, because your entire conscience needs to be focused on the rhythm and your footwork. It places you in the Here and Now. I fenced a lot growing up, and this is a much-more-creative outlet for footwork.

What do you do Carlos? Any favorite songs of your own? I'm taking an international dance class right now, so I'm dabbling in the tango, salsa, tap, waltz, polka, and ballet (yikes).

I love to dance. Tap salsa cha cha cha two step three step shuffle you name it. I won’t ever stray away from a good away and turn any day. Me and the wife will dance together to pretty much anything. I’m currently teaching the Ball room dances to the kids. They love it !
Dance has always been something of a strange beast for me. This big bad knuckle dragger often just wants to grove more than move.I love dancing- not extremity shaking but dancing with steps and such. Not that I won’t shake my groove thing ... but there’s a difference ya know ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi