The Block

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #340573 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic The Block
Thank you Carlos.

One thing I always think about when it comes to being always ready is this. Rely on your training and how you have trained yourself but understand that that your preparation is never the real deal. There are always factors which even with a high level of training do not conform to a trained response.

I actually have a latin phrase and symbol from The Division video games. This resides on my back back I use for work or in most cases just in general. On one side strapped in with a tactical med-kit (which I now have fully stocked for anything from minor cuts to treating broken bones and major lacerations or puncture wounds. I also keep an up to date epi-pen (though I personally have no allergies and also a small amount of synthetic insulin (this for my father just in case). On the other side I keep a small survival kit including you basic stuff, compass, multi tool, fire starter, a hooked needle, surgical string and my good knife when not on school grounds. Anyway, I brought all this up because the saying is.

"Extremis Malis Extrema Remedia" - Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I wear this because in the course of my life I have had some times where I had to "flip the switch" and run on the purest of instinct and ignore certain reactions to things to help others. One of the first times I ever did this consciously was in my early 20's when there was a drive by on my street in St. Louis. I remember hearing the squealing tires and the gun shots followed by the screams. The moment now in my memory seems so clear but at the time I was running on instinct. First my typical reaction,to being outside during gunshots (not that unusual in the area I lived) was hit the ground and work my way inside. But, this time was different. I was working on my car in the back alley. I heard the noise and I really don't know why but I booked it up the street to where I heard the screams coming from. I found a few people standing around and a man no more than my age laying in an expanding pool of blood. I remember the feeling of tearing the sleeves off my shirt one to tie above the wound in his upper arm and the other to apply pressure to the wound on his right side which was a nasty one. I had to yell at some one to call emergency services, I remember talking to the kid to keep him awake as shock was setting him in, asking him where he was originally from, did he have any kids, siblings, a girlfriend. I remember his skin turning more and more pale as I held his wound and the feeling of my hand growing warm as blood soaked through the cloth I held to his stomach. I will never forget his face, ever. He finally passed out, and his breath became shallow. It wasn't much longer that EMS arrived and took the kid into an ambulance, and I was inside washing up after giving a statement to the police. That situation took only about ten minutes total but has changed my life forever.

About a week later I got a visit from an older lady from up the block. She told me her grand-son had passed and wanted to invite me to his services. His mother and grand mother thanked me personally at his wake. I remember asking them why they thanked me, he passed anyway? His grandmother replied with this, "You were the only one ready and willing to help, did you see anyone else on the street with you? You did this for no reason but love and that's why God put you there." After his services were done I remember telling myself I would do my best to be ready for a number of situations, Blackwater (the security company I worked for at the time as a fire arms instructor, actually not to proud of that once certain things that were happening over seas came to light) had a pretty intense training program for the non-military vets that were working field jobs for them (like me).

I am sorry this turned into an essay, but this is a clear memory of when I adopted the saying of always being ready. a short time later I was in Ferguson, Mo during the protests, aiding those whom had inhaled tear gas (I had to undergo both pepper spray and teargas exposure tests to hold the position I did, so exposure was a feeling I could somewhat handle for a time longer than those never exposed) or had injuries from the clashes with police and other protesters a like. That is when I added in my own, desperate times desperate measures, though I didn't have the latin saying for it until a few years later. I still think it and meditate on these sayings a lot. Now that I work in schools I have even further thought of it. We have had threats of shootings, the last one, I was one of maybe 35 of the 100 or so staff that showed up. Had something happened I would defend those kids with my life. Since that first experience I have always kept my first aid, CPR and firearms instructor (though I don't teach fire arms anymore) up to date and valid. Again, I am sorry this turned into an essay, this is just one of those memories I don't talk about much because it always ends up coming out in a flow and it isn't a happy memory.

This is a great saying to contemplate Carlos, sorry I guess I had to get this out, once it started. Thank you again for sparking this thought Carlos, these are sayings I never want to forget.

Much Love, Peace and Respect,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, jpadkins

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #340578 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic The Block
The intention is always to share my friend and in doing so we learn. Thank you and may the Force be with you still.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 7 months ago #340684 by Carlos.Martinez3
The cost of discipline
We are a online church. Truthfully there is no bench where we sit together and there is no set time to meet as this is a come and go as you please type of self paced place. The most common - riff or the ebb I’ve noticed - I have seen is the ability to active balance - time. What I’m talking about is the time to study and post and interact and chat and join in. When I first joined it was almost impossible for me to join in on every part of the Temple I would have liked. Even now, I go back and review the inactive and even archived threads and subjects and ask myself - where was I when that happened or that was hot on the forum? When we begin - reading and finding time can be a challenge in itself and - it was for me any way. I am aware that everyone of us comes to this place with and on different levels of wit - study habits - awareness - location - practice level and even maturity levels. That’s ok. Nothing wrong with that. Not at all. I began to re light the “learn flame” for myself and this ... began my journey here. Now - my time is as much filled with reading study grading texting logging on checking catching up posting commenting thinking learning ... boom - some days I think I’m so busy my heads gunna blow up. It’s not. It won’t. It feels that way some days. Now- the type of dynamic and discipline needed for me is way way WAY different from when I first logged on 5 years ago. The price - was - ACTION. Trying and doing were how I figured out my balance. Some say, the easiest way to find balance and discipline is during the attempt. In the thick of it. I’m not saying always but some times the price of discipline is... well... doing it.
Remember when your logging on or catching back up. At some point we all feel like we have NEGLECTED time here but in reality - we are just learning where - IF- all this can fit in with our every day life’s. Where the sun lives and the taxes are counted. (Lol)
Each of us has a price ... what does your discipline cost or better yet - how did you make yours?

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archon, Kobos

More
4 years 7 months ago #340921 by Carlos.Martinez3
It is said ....

An Irish Proverb

“If you lie down with dogs; you’ll rise with fleas.”

This one Ima leave for us like this - this week. I always like to give encouraging things to think or maybe a different way of thinking or seeing things but this is one of those - things- that some one told me and it hits when it hits. Ya know? Apply generally and as liberally as you like. Share if ya like - any time. I always look forward to more people joining in on Monday’s ! Force continue to be with y’all!

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #340924 by
Replied by on topic The Block
I could say a lot about this, but I'm going to be brief for once and just say "Thank you" :)

More
4 years 7 months ago #341180 by Carlos.Martinez3
Being Real
In a setting like this - we can be perceived as fake or made up. I get that a lot. I got these business cards - simple black n white things. I pass em out like nothing. I don’t go out much. When I do - my list is wallet keys kids bag cards and wife (lol). Being who you are is a tough gig as a modern day Jeddist. How do you put your spin, your flavor , your style, your vibe , how do you add it to your every day practices? For some the name is as far as some get and they can’t go past that. That’s ok too I guess. I’ve heard others say “our doctrine is contradictory as well. In a huge pool of self reflect ... then really what are the things we are we seeing , what’s really incompatible? Over time , things grow and so can our character. Expect change if you are looking for it. If your not ... well - expect , well , complications. So - today I say -be real- be yourself - no ones gunna be like you.
Can’t.
Won’t.
Don’t expect it.
As part of our learning - remember, to a Jeddist - being real can be application more than donning gear.
Inside more than outside. Be real.
Jedi - be you and don’t be afraid to apply your practices and seeking to what you know. That’s kinna the way it works.
May the Force be with y’all today and through the week.
Pastor Carlos

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, Kobos,

More
4 years 7 months ago #341181 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic The Block
Thank you my friend! I believe identifying as a Jedi to those around you is something many in this community are struggling with. After all, our religion takes its name from fiction. Very few people know (or care, for that matter) that there's much more to it in real life.

Identifying yourself as Jedi, for me, has never been a necessity. What counts is the way we behave both inwards and outwards. I won't lie when anyone asks me directly. And all the times this has happened, there's always been a direct interest in our faith and the people asking will usually also take the time to listen.

Other than that: be a Jedi. Don't be proud. Don't boast. Be silent and enjoy.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,

More
4 years 7 months ago #341182 by Carlos.Martinez3
Cyan!!!!
There are so many ways to be ... who we are. Even A Jeddist is not immune to the vastness of potential and possibility. Great to hear from ya P.....Cyan! I’ve missed ya ! Some can be brash and bold some can be timid and not so bold - some take tea - some take coffee wine beer - drinks are like faiths sometimes lol.

When rubber meets the road - just be you.

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

More
4 years 6 months ago #341456 by Carlos.Martinez3
My 6 year old got a upset stomach this morning. 6 am I find myself scrubbing and disinfecting floors and brushing carpet waaaay to early today. So my day started a bit early. As I began to start the days activities I decided to make my sick son some potato tea...just a small batch one or two slices of potatoes and a small green onion ... well- you’ll never guess what happened. I burned the soup. Normally soup would not need such an important part of my day but this morning I burned it. I’ve never burned soup. Ever. Till today. Days will come when you burn the soup or the toast or even something as simple wont come out. My encouragement to all Jeddist out there... don’t let it stop ya. The old saying is don’t cry over spilled milk but today I tell you my friends - don’t cry over burned soup- scrub out the pot and make some more. Things happen and things some times don’t pan out. Be smart and be well and be the one who makes another pot or another round or just try’s again.

7. Jedi understand their limitations. We recognise, and take responsibility, for our failures and develop a level of modesty about them. We respect the right for others to disagree and understand that they themselves are not perfect.

Even a cook can over cook a soup!
May the Force continue to be with y’all!

Build, not tear down.

More
4 years 6 months ago #341477 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic The Block
Starting to work on our own failings and mistakes without blaming others is one of the most powerful and helpful areas of self-realization we’ll ever enter

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi