Creationism

More
12 years 1 month ago #51438 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Creationism
I've thought perhaps when human populations were low, and life was real tough thousands of years ago, that metaphysical spirituality might have been more accessible to people, and as a result a message to guide people to a higher appreciation of it would be practically useful and therefore popular. Though, like a hollywood movie done today about a real world event, for it to be popular it has to be 90% rubbish to keep people's attention and to use contexts relevant to the lives of the readers. So I dont take it literally and instead see the messages as symbolic langauge to the nature of metaphysical spirituality and methods to relate to it. So if someone wants to believe in Genesis literally then I just intepret that to mean they are trying to fully immerse their conscious identity into the story of the book perhaps to maximise its intended purpose. Any evanglism from them in that regard is a sign of the power of their belief and not something to be afraid of, but obviously its rude for anyone to push their beliefs onto other people who dont want to listen or participate.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #51443 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Creationism

Br. John wrote: How can the creationist issue be separated from the Bible Literalist issue? Genesis gives two different accounts of creation and they contradict each other. Later in the Old Testament The Bible clearly states that Earth is fixed and unmovable with four corners. I'm sure you all know what happened to Galileo for saying Earth was not the center of the universe.

I've never met a Creationist who did not frame this as an argument for believing in God or not. As though to believe in evolution was the same as not believing in God.

This is refreshing: http://ThankGodForEvolution.com/

Haha! When someone tries to justify Genesis being truth, I bust out the "God created the earth" first (in darkness) and then he made day and night, when we now know factually that it requires a star to create a planet, and therefore the earth couldn't have been created before day and night.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 1 month ago #51444 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Creationism

Though, like a hollywood movie done today about a real world event, for it to be popular it has to be 90% rubbish to keep people's attention and to use contexts relevant to the lives of the readers.

So, you're saying christianity is a crappy religion because it is essentially based on some popular hollywood movie?

Attachment rageguy.jpg not found

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #51445 by
Replied by on topic Re: Creationism
Many faiths do share the creationism as the way that Earth been created (not exclusively Abrahamists). Others beliving in The Dream (subjectivity) as some peoples in the Big Bang (or other objectivist theories).

The better thing to do would be to travel back in time to know for sure (with dr. Emmett Brown's machine or to pass arround the the sun in hyperexponential speed or with Superman spinning arround the Earth at light speed? lol). Till there, to live in harmony is the better thing to do. Because we can't proove any thories (without any doubts and with a absolute certitude), such "fights" are trivial and futile.

More
12 years 1 month ago #51447 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Creationism
Does anyone here believe that the universe is 6,000 to 8,000 years old and humans appeared ready made much as we are now around 4,000 to 6,000 BCE?

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #51450 by
I believe most modern day physicists would agree that the universe may be around 14 billion years old and Earth would be around 3.5 - 4 billion years old. Over the previous decades the Catholic church and many other religions world wide have attempted to align their view points with modern day physics findings.

However, like many have already posed in this thread, your belief is your belief. You don't have to side with science, but to me it does seem more logical. I wont hound you for opposing to the math. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #51454 by
First of all, to answer the accusation of being intolerant toward Christians, I am a practicing Methodist. I believe in evolution.

I will continue to call creationists retarded because that is what they are. Not just because of the stupidity of the YEC position. I think the Flat Earth position is FAR more stupid, but I have no problem with them. Why? Because they do not try to legislate their position, nor do they try to act like they are speaking for all "true" Christians. YECs, however, do. They are no better than Islamic imperialists.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #51458 by

Star Forge wrote: I will continue to call creationists retarded because that is what they are.

Welp, guess adult, mature conversation has been thrown out the window. As much as I hate walking away and not sticking up for someone else, I can only contain myself so much. I do not wish to stoop to your level, so I leave it to the rest of the people here to make their expressions known. From one Christian to another, I pray that you stop this harsh judgement of another group...something the Bible teaches for us not to do. Good day, sir.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #51461 by
Replied by on topic Creationism
I'm still not positive what I believe or how all this works, but the thought of a grand master Jedi who gains even more knowledge after having passed into the force and eventually having so much knowledge of the force he can use it to create, really doesn't bother me too much. At all, actually. In fact, it makes more sense than anything else I can come up with..

More
12 years 1 month ago #51467 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Creationism

ren wrote: So, you're saying christianity is a crappy religion because it is essentially based on some popular hollywood movie?

LOL, no, Life of Brian was done in the UK :P

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi