Question Time: Ask Anonymous Questions About Apprenticeship

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354541 by Edan
With many of you undertaking the IP or perhaps finished the IP and waiting for an apprenticeship, you might have questions about what being an apprentice involves.

It might be that you think your question is a bit stupid, or perhaps you're worried about asking it.

That's where I come in :)

My anonymous question time is here.

Go to THIS LINK HERE and ask your question, and I will post the answers to your questions here in this thread.

No names required, nobody will know the question came from you.

On the flip side, someone here might ask a question you hadn't thought of but realise you wanted to know the answer to.

I'll monitor it for the next week or so at least, so feel free to ask your questions.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354566 by Edan
Thank you for all the question submissions so far. There are a quite a few and I will respond to them when I can.

If you haven't asked a question yet and would like to please do, there are no stupid questions :)

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354567 by Edan

How much of Knighthood is focused on being a good teacher? Is there a course Knights are required to take before they can take apprentices? I guess I feel being a successful student is not equivalent with being a good teacher.

The training programmes for apprentices are set by their teachers, all apprentices however will get some lessons on teaching others. Apprentices are encouraged to participate in the administration and management of the forum, such as the IP mentors, to help prepare them.
Towards the end of their apprenticeship, apprentices are encouraged to start producing their own teaching programme and will get support on this from their teacher.

You're right, being a good student does not necessarily mean being a good teacher, but we try and prepare apprentices the best we can for taking on the teaching role themselves.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Skryym

More
3 years 6 months ago #354569 by Edan

What percentage of Apprentices are put forward for Knighthood then declined?

We don't keep records in such a way that I can answer in the way you've requested, but I will try to give some answer.

Before apprentices can be put forward their training master will discuss it with another knight, usually their own training master. If they decide that the apprentice needs to do more work, then the TM will set further assignments relevant to apprentice. Though this isn't the purpose necessarily, doing this means fewer apprentices are put forward to ultimately be declined. That's not to say that apprentices may still not be declined however. They must undergo an interview with other knights before knighthood is decided to be granted. The questions asked in this interview are meant to ascertain the attitude of the apprentice towards knighthood and their readiness for it. It has been the case that apprentices have been declined after these interviews. If this happens, then more study is expected of the apprentice under the guidance of their teacher. Study does not necessarily mean 'read this book', but can be working on personal attitudes. If someone is highly impatient and demanding of knighthood for example, they may be expected to work on their patience before being accepted as a knight.

As a whole, knights prefer to make sure their apprentice is likely to be ready before putting them forward.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 6 months ago #354571 by Edan

What percentage of Apprentices quit the Temple before completing studies?

As in my previous answer, that's not a statistic that I have. Some apprentices obviously do leave. Sometimes this is because apprentices no longer feel that this path is for them, sometimes it is because they have too much going on in their life to commit, some may become ill etc. Apprentices may leave for any reason any other member of the forum may leave.

Some apprentices just take a very long time to complete their apprenticeship and may be absent for long periods of time, life is what it is and we try not to penalise anyone for it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354572 by Carlos.Martinez3

Edan wrote:

How much of Knighthood is focused on being a good teacher? Is there a course Knights are required to take before they can take apprentices? I guess I feel being a successful student is not equivalent with being a good teacher.

The training programmes for apprentices are set by their teachers, all apprentices however will get some lessons on teaching others. Apprentices are encouraged to participate in the administration and management of the forum, such as the IP mentors, to help prepare them.
Towards the end of their apprenticeship, apprentices are encouraged to start producing their own teaching programme and will get support on this from their teacher.

You're right, being a good student does not necessarily mean being a good teacher, but we try and prepare apprentices the best we can for taking on the teaching role themselves.

Each TM or training Master here is different. How the Apprenticeship goes is up to the both involved.
As a Teacher here as well, it is our hope that each Knight here has the ability to "help" others as they have been "helped." There's a HUGE vast amount that can be included in this. Not every Knight teaches and not every Knight is the same here. Each ministry or lanes or fields of expertise is up to each individual. There are some teachers here who have some things, in form and ready and there are some who have different approaches. Reading Journals is a defiantly good thing for student teacher here. How else are you gonna know about some one if ya dont share it? There is soooo much that can be shared.

Some learn further
Some teach
Some serve
Some are present
All are Jedi
All are at different LEVELS and different focuses. Communication with your teacher and a honesty helps to create the Knight you wanna be. Maybe even the Jedi you wanna be.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Edan, Skryym

More
3 years 6 months ago #354574 by Edan
When knights quit then come back, how is it they are allowed to come back as teachers right away? That feels like a weird policy. Shouldn't they have to do some work or an apprenticeship to qualify again first, especially when some of knighthood is dedication to this place?

The return of knights is taken on a case by case basis and what they do on their return is decided by the Council. Some knights may seem 'away' but are still here working in the background or checking in regularly. Knights that have been away a long time may be asked to redo the IP or other work. Apprenticeships are not immediately granted, if a Council member feels that a knight has not demonstrated enough commitment, they may be asked to wait. As an aside, Knighthood is not necessarily dedication to TOTJO, but to the personal development and the ideals of Jediism.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 6 months ago #354575 by Carlos.Martinez3
What percentage of Apprentices are put forward for Knighthood then declined?

What percentage of Apprentices quit the Temple before completing studies?

Here in the Temple, we do whats called SELF-PACED learning. It's the same as Temple time. It takes a bit of getting used to it if you're not already prone to it.

We don't track what others DON'T do... We would be there ALL Day...That's not our "thing."

Apprenticeships are structured to the student. They are recommended that way lol.
An Apprenticeship can be as quick as mine or as long as one of my very own students who is a council member of another organisation and is STILL a student here, Willfully.
Temple time is strange... we use a standard time zone here. Nothing sinister, just a time we can all agree on. During our 24 hours of the day we all have to eat, sleep, poop, and live, AS WELL AS TEMPLE. The adjusting of time to Temple time- real time to "study" or "share". Time can be something we can add to our every day life... aka make room in our schedule for this if we choose...

Managing time and life around an extra avenue of life can take some getting used to. Temple or the gym or a library...Real talk, It can take acts of balancing as far as time and efforts go. Apprenticeship falls under extra time needed.
The MAIN reason for NOT finishing is normally time management. Once you kick that dog out this place ain't so bad lol.

Self- paced
Not every one had the same time here.
some can't.
some won't.
There are a number of reason people quit things and here is no exception.
Births
deaths
moving
time and effort
loss of interest
loss if funds
change of family
Time
marriage
divorce
New job
new kids
health problems
we have some in active military services to their country- 3 I believe currently and one deployed... there are a number of reasons someone might stop during their apprenticeship really. They may just not like their teacher after a while, EVERY STUDENT IS ABLE TO SWITCH OR CHANGE OR START OR STOP their apprenticeship here at any time for any reason, no blame. It's a right, and a rule lol
We have 2 completed Apprentices who have moved on to Knighthood so far this year.
Many people have Returned to studies and many have not, many don't even know the Temple has changed structures as far as the site is concerned.
We can NEVER say someone quit on a certain day because there is that HUGE expanse of possibility that maybe life is happening for that personal that particular moment. How can one quit one's path? Ya really can't. This place houses many thing that can't be measured in a formal fashion.
Case in point, what's considered active on a forum? the amount of posts? ya can't really tell when someone is one or a million in some times, ya can't say who's all quit when no ones really quit quit... ya can't stray from YOUR path, it's yours.
real talk there are people here that aren't here daily and who maybe may come back or complete things, some have, some won't, some will... see how that's hard to say a number or a actual graph?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354576 by Edan

What does TOJO do to ensure apprentices are happy in their apprenticeships and masters are doing things well/properly?

There is always some level of mediation possible between knights and their apprentices where there is a problem. If no solution is found between the knight and their apprentice by themselves then they would seek support from another knight/council member. If no solution is found after that then the apprentice may be taken on by another knight. If there are none available, or none that the apprentice is comfortable with, then training may be suspended until someone suitable is found.

In terms of whether teaching is done well or properly, knights are always talking to each other. We will always have someone that we can confide in, and if one of us thought there may be an issue then we would either speak to that knight (if we were close enough) or speak to another knight who is. Alternatively if we didn't feel we could speak to them and thought there was an issue then going to a council member is always possible.

The process for gaining knighthood by an apprentice allows for discussion between knights, and veto by council members (see one of my previous answers). We are a community and work together, so we will look out for each other both knights and apprentices.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #354577 by Edan

Given it's a required component of becoming an Apprentice, making it a required component of becoming a Knight and Master in 2020 (but not in the past), what percentage of current Knights and Masters have studied the current 2020 IP and all its lessons? How is it correct some of them call themselves Knights or Masters without having studied it?

Many of the current knights have become so under the current version of the IP. Some of the masters also.

With regards to those knights/masters who got their ranks before the current iteration of the IP, they will have done the work at some point in time since it came into being. After all, in order to discuss the appropriateness of the lessons they would have had to been completed by those who were discussing it.

Unfortunately without going through all of their journals on this site I can't tell you numbers, but I can tell you the knights here will have done their homework, most knights in fact will have done the IP more than once. You are welcome to discuss the IP lessons with any knight on the forum, if you are interested in their thoughts on any of the lessons I am sure they would share them with you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi