Next Saturday Hangout July 11, 2020 17hrs GMT to 19hrs GMT in Discord (11 Jul 2020)

Our next hangout will be June 11, 2020 17hrs GMT to 19hrs GMT in Discord

The link is here: discord.com/invite/nhZvH6T

Beyond Joseph Campbell

More
01 Jun 2020 00:19 #352395 by Loudzoo
Presented without further comment - but please feel free to comment

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO Initiate Journal Apprentice Journal Knight Journal Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentice: Tellahane
Apprentice: Squint
Skryym

Before the truth will set you free, it'll piss you off (MANTRA ~ Bring Me the Horizon)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Skryym

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2020 11:04 #352410 by Alexandre Orion
Thank you, Andy. This is excellent.

There are a few other videos referenced to this one that I found insightful as well.

So, yes, sincerely, thank you for having shared this... :)

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo, Skryym

More
01 Jun 2020 15:00 #352418 by Rosalyn J
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

More
20 Jun 2020 03:44 #352874 by Skryym
Replied by Skryym on topic Beyond Joseph Campbell
I finally got around to watching all three videos.

I typed a very long response before realizing there was no way I could do so without embarrassing myself. In fact I feel the need to leave something here, but there is absolutely nothing to be said - I'm going to say it anyway because I'm a loudmouth at worse and an extroverted thinker at best. I resonated with nearly every grain of the film - even the bittersweet ones. Personal mythmaking has dangerous pitfalls, and I have been gullible to more than a few. Even once I recognized the ego-feeding and materialism-seeking motivation beyond it, I could never bring myself to throw mythmaking away. This series presents a silver lining, a light at the end of the tunnel - a belief that the heroes journey, though corruptible, might have an objective threat designed to connect us and help us grow.

I remember a small hero's journey of my own. It's a long story and not terribly interesting unless you are interested in caves or karst topography - but it had it's own little departure from the familiar, hero's boon, wise old mentor, challenge, "death" and rebirth, and triumphal return. All in one day, all shockingly obvious to anyone with the hero's journey pulled up in google images. I'm not special - we've all had moments like those. Sometimes they are wrapped up in a day, sometimes they last years. At the end of the day, I sat on my porch and nearly cried at the thought that god wasn't a thing or even an entity - but that processes of departure, transformation, and return that we all needed to through again and again.

There is no bad weather, only bad attitudes and bad attire. - Gandalf the Grey
TM: Loudzoo
Skryym's Novice Journal | Meditation Journal | Apprentice Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

More
25 Jun 2020 02:12 #353012 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Beyond Joseph Campbell
I think the characters within the Journey are within the Hero themselves.

Spiritual traditions taught from young ages empower later experience by writing meaning into the persons worldview which can be 'revealed' under certain circumstances. I think in the same way the Hero's Journey tries to derive a model which reaches into the parent family concept (not necessarily the Abrahamic incarnation of it) to pull out transformation from connecting deeply to ones maturation by giving meaning to ones personal history of individual action.

Like why the Dalai Lama says the best religion for anyone is the one they learnt as a child and were raised up with... not because it might be right or proper, but because it has the deepest reach back into the psyche which if applied in a spiritually rewarding manner can have that experiential reward.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: Edan