Public
11 years 8 months ago #67550 by
"Jedi" Copyrighted? was created by
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100823/10375210741.shtml

Take a look...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #67557 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: "Jedi" Copyrighted?
That's very interesting. A trademark is considerably different than a copyright but they're often confused. Here's the rest of the story http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Jedi-mind-Lucasfilm-george-Lucas-copyright,news-7905.html .

LucasFilm, according to the complaint, claims dominion over "all characteristics associated with the Jedi knights not memorialized in a registered trademark... [including] Jedi robes, the lightsaber weapon, the power to levitate objects, a telepathic oneness with other Jedi and the universe, and the ability to shoot energy beams called 'Force Lightning' from the fingertips."

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/08/24/lucasfilm-files-5-million-lawsuit-against-jedi-mind/

The company made the mistake of agreeing to phase out the name ant then did not do it. So the lawsuit had much to do with breach of contract as well as trademark infringement. We'll never know what would have happened if this had gone to trail. I can see how the labeling of the products would make people think it was a Star Wars product. Nothing about this applies to us as a church so nobody should be concerned about it. There are First Amendment religious issues with us that the for profit company could not assert for one thing.

Out of curiosity I did a quick check just on Texas corporations.

Go to the Texas corporation lookup https://ourcpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/Index.html , put Jedi in the name and see what you get. Those are just the names that start with Jedi BTW so we won't be on that list.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 8 months ago #67602 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: "Jedi" Copyrighted?
The trademark applies to selling certain goods an services. Lucas has no trademark for the category we're in, though there could be a problem if we wanted to sell books or other things with Jedi written on it.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
11 years 8 months ago #67660 by Alethea Thompson
The term "Light Force Realist" is still available to you. ;D

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #339569 by
Replied by on topic Re: "Jedi" Copyrighted?
Does that mean the jedi order can produce media content including star wars movies that rival Disney's narrative?

More
4 years 10 months ago #339570 by Br. John

Nectanebo wrote: Does that mean the jedi order can produce media content including star wars movies that rival Disney's narrative?

No. And the issue is Trademark / Servicemark, not copyright. We can write a book about the real Jedi religion and philosophy. We cannot write a fictional Star Wars story.

Founder of The Order

More
4 years 10 months ago #339571 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Re: "Jedi" Copyrighted?
You can't copyright words. You can, however, trademark them for specific purposes. So, while Disney owns the word in regard to, say, merchandising, unless they've filed a separate trademark for the word in regards to religion, it should be okay.

Someone should ask.

More
4 years 10 months ago #339572 by Br. John

steamboat28 wrote: You can't copyright words. You can, however, trademark them for specific purposes. So, while Disney owns the word in regard to, say, merchandising, unless they've filed a separate trademark for the word in regards to religion, it should be okay.

Someone should ask.

Anyone can check here https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #339582 by
Replied by on topic Re: "Jedi" Copyrighted?
The jedi order could make a jedi movie though, right? Like a Christian church making a film about jesus or the biblical world legends?

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
4 years 10 months ago #339584 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic Re: "Jedi" Copyrighted?
You would have to make sure it was Historically correct or stated what is the Interpretation of it is. As For anything Star Wars, Jedi and such, Lucas Film has a tight tight grip, Disney even more so and goes after anyone... Case in point, YouTube Channel Star Wars Theory... Made a Fan Film, This Channel got permission from Lucas Film, But after it was Filmed, edited and so forth, premiered on the Channel, Within a week Disney filed with YouTube to take any Monetary items. It took the Fan base to stand up and yell, Lucas Film did step in and shown where permission was given and eventually the Monetary issue was released.

So Just jumping in and making a film is not as easy as one would think, even if it said "Fan Film". Documentary is a whole different can of worms...

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi