Would Real Jedi use guns?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347134 by
Would Real Jedi use guns? was created by
My family is quite republican besides my mom (Liberal) and me (Independent) and don't like to use guns (I still think guns should be legal but I personally don't use them). The initial idea began as I watched Hacksaw Ridge, in which I thought, "Would a jedi use a gun? Even in self-protection but at the cost of another life>" and this eventually boiled down to me getting the idea of not killing anything. Would anyone be willing to answer my question if Jedi can use guns?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347135 by
Replied by on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
real jedi have no use for carrying a weapon wherever they go. Learn a martial art, which betters you physically and prepares you for a physical altercation.

Other than that, preparing to take a life is not in-line with our ideals.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347136 by
Thank you, this is what i was thinking just better formatted. Thank you for the answer

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347138 by

Geni Jeuls wrote: real jedi have no use for carrying a weapon wherever they go. Learn a martial art, which betters you physically and prepares you for a physical altercation.

Other than that, preparing to take a life is not in-line with our ideals.

I'm not sure if you should use the term "real jedi" and then make a claim about them. I think real jedi can carry guns as well. What if your a jedi in the army? The movie jedi killed all kinds of people with a weapon as deadly as a gun so I'm not sure I see your point here anyway. Why is taking a life like in self defense not good?

More
4 years 3 months ago #347145 by Alethea Thompson
If your reasoning is because you could take another person's life...then we have to consider a number of things to consider:

First, let's understand that the majority of people in the US (given the language in your post I'm only guessing this is where you live) will never have to face a decision where they are forced into a position to wield a weapon. A LOT will, but not the majority. So you would need to gauge the likelihood of you needing one before you spend your money on it under the pretense that you may have to use it against another human being.

Moving from here-

From the 16 Teachings:
3. Jedi are aware of the future impacts of action and inaction and of the influence of the past, but live in and focus on the Now. We let ourselves flow like water through the events around us. We embrace the ever-changing and fluid world, adapting and changing as it does.

You may take someone's life, or they could take yours. What most people don't know, is that there is a large number of murder cases going unsolved. Vox reported last year that you have about a 40% chance of getting away with murder in the US (https://www.vox.com/2018/9/24/17896034/murder-crime-clearance-fbi-report) so by allowing them to take your life...you're not actually doing them, yourself or their next potential victim any favors. A well-trained gunman, may not even need to use the gun beyond show of force (never pull a gun if you don't intend to use it, that'll just get you killed, but you can hope you don't have to pull the trigger...etc, etc).

With the knowledge and understanding that a Jedi may live in an area or be in a career (say police officer) that puts themselves in the kind of harm's way that might call them to defend the life of another, or even their own, then (IMO) we should accept (so long as they have the lawful ability to do so) that a Jedi can also be a gun-carrier.

14. Jedi are guardians of peace. We believe in helping all those that are in need, in whatever form, to the best of our ability. We recognise that sometimes providing help requires courage in the face of adversity but understand that conflict is resolved through peace, understanding and harmony.

This takes it a step further. This is more about how you personally believe you can achieve peace. In the first, I illustrated how the 16 Teachings supports gun use (where it is legally allowed to be owned/carried). But in the second, we define whether or not the individual Jedi should carry a gun. If you are privileged enough to live with no real need to carry/own a weapon, then you have to determine what it means to guard peace. Would carrying/owning a weapon cause people to be afraid? Some people have a fear of weapons, in some households it is a point of contention. One family member may feel the sheer presence of a gun puts everyone in the family at risk. Access to guns gives a person that wants to commit suicide a fast, and believed painless, option. It also increases risks to children. "In 2015, 2,824 children (age 0 to 19 years) died by gunshot and an additional 13,723 were injured." (https://injury.research.chop.edu/violence-prevention-initiative/types-violence-involving-youth/gun-violence/gun-violence-facts-and#.XfE-Uy3Mzs0). Also of note, is that most school shootings are done with a parent's unsecured weapon (https://lawcenter.giffords.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/The-Truth-About-School-Shootings-Report.pdf)

So can a Jedi use guns? By using the 16 Teachings, my conclusion: The simple answer is "Yes", the long answer is "Weigh it against your mission towards peace."

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347147 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
There's a reasonable chance I've killed more things with a shovel than a gun.

I don't *carry* a firearm, that's a decision that my state makes for me, so I don't need to really ponder my stance on it.

If at a particular moment in the time the correct action is apply the necessary science of a bullet to the problem, then I don't really have any moral qualms (that I'm aware of)

I'm not one who necessarily believes that "all people are valid" - so I am more than happy to accept a world where I carry a gun (and drive a car, and raise children, and am allowed to spend my own money on discretionary items) but everyone else has to wear a blue jumpsuit and enjoy their ration of daily gruel.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347149 by
My grandfather has a pneumatic gun to protect his garden from crows, and he teaches me to use it. And also I love playing laser tag with my friends. But I don't think I would ever carry a gun with me outside of my house, and if I would need to use weapon to protect myself, my family or friends, or my property, I would do anything I can just to scare the person who attacked me, or to make him unable to attack again. But killing - no, never!
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by .

More
4 years 3 months ago #347150 by Carlos.Martinez3

Traveler412 wrote: My family is quite republican besides my mom (Liberal) and me (Independent) and don't like to use guns (I still think guns should be legal but I personally don't use them). The initial idea began as I watched Hacksaw Ridge, in which I thought, "Would a jedi use a gun? Even in self-protection but at the cost of another life>" and this eventually boiled down to me getting the idea of not killing anything. Would anyone be willing to answer my question if Jedi can use guns?

I’m a Jedi. I’ve used guns. Part from my military career and part from my civilian life. Now a days I got a huge cedar “staff” that has killed mice, rats roaches and even a possum. For the humans in my life - my hands will be fine. My own choices lol. Now-retired and a dad and hubby a friend and a modern day Jeddist- I’m not so violent any more. Again, my own choice. If I needed to, bet ya a buck I’ll hit my mark every time but ... I try to be a change in people life’s rather than what I used to be. Don’t get me wrong- I can throw that staff or a knife any day- and even pitch a person if the need ever presents itself, but that’s not prolly how it will end.
To answer your question directly - should Jedi use guns- if you are a Jeddist then that’s to you Jedi- to figure out what YOU wanna wann be like and how you wanna do things. Would you as a Jedi use a gun?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malicious

More
4 years 3 months ago #347153 by steamboat28
Real Jedi come in a variety of mindsets. You need to examine yourself, and your reasons behind your opinions on guns, to get to the true answer for you. All of our answers will be different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
4 years 3 months ago #347163 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Can a Jedi use gun? Of course! The question should be should a Jedi? My opinion a Jedi is a keeper of the peace not a Warrior. A Jedi should be passive and calm. But it’s in our nature when we feel threatened and adrenaline kicks in to give in to fear and aggressive instincts. I think often why guns are often frowned upon because of these aggressive behaviors. I think we should find peaceful means before we resort to carrying a gun or weapon. Don’t get me wrong I’m not against owning a gun or a sword. I personally have several swords and knives. A Jedi should never use a weapon to intently kill rather if needs be disarmament of the other. “What if killing the individual is unavoidable?” I cannot imagine most of us here are in those situations on a regular basis unless your a soldier in wartime. I think a gun or weapon when wield is an extension of the human ego.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi