Discord Direction [ Discord Round Table]

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346795 by Carlos.Martinez3
Hi Temple.
We have a official Discord site for use to chit chat and have classes and questions and a place to meet. It’s buzzing! There’s a section where you can add request and even recommend ideas. We may have a team later but for now let’s do this...
Any and all Discord - ish ideas put em here. We can adjust and add change and collaborate here. If it’s titles you seek - there are plenty available and they each have their own requirements as in life - here as the think team you won’t get that. Maybe later or maybe even the Outreach Pastor can head that part of the Temple as well. We shall see.
So let’s begin.
There’s a bit of “organization” that’s needed as far as rooms and copy’s of rooms. Feel free to screen shot stuff here or even just post what ya can help with and such. I’m looking forward to how we can grow in different places here and here is a great opportunity for those who want to help. As always you can contact me here there or any where ...
May the Force be with us as we all seek serve and share it!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Rosalyn J, J. K. Barger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346798 by
Replied by on topic Discord Direction
So, the way I see it, people should be able to specially select what they want to see. As of currently, the server appears very cramped and such. So, I suggest separate role selection areas where people can click an emoji and it will give them the rank so they are able to see the channel.
I also suggest setting up private moderation and administrator channels.
Channels such as announcements should also only have certain ranks available to talk in them where, currently, everyone can.
In terms of activity, perhaps introduce a 'quota' for the ranks? Depending on their duties, they could have a minimum amount of that duty they must complete every month.
This would increase the amount of productivity, plus the amount of younger people would increase due to there being more Youth Officers (from what I've seen, there're currently none) and the amount of hosted lessons would go up.
There should also be a default rank that is given to everyone who joins the server, this'll make moderation easier because it's much simpler to track people if they all have a singular rank.
And, if they aren't already accepted into the Jedi Order, various application announcements and such can be made to them.
There's possibilities for many more role systems, to be introduced, allowing the separation of particular divisions.
Speaking of Divisions, I'd suggest introducing them &/or strongly emphasising them.
Various security sections, Service, administration and moderation, etc.
This gives people more incentive to be active, and once they achieve a position in a division they may feel a lot closer to the Order as they feel they have a unique rank amongst it's ranks.
For example:

Security divisions:
Temple Guards (to stop server raids, intervene with rule breakers, etc),
Youth Officers

Service Divisions:
Archive management,
Guides/helpers,
Assignment Officers (helps to locate particular people and divisions people may need to contact),

Administrative Divisions:
The Council (perhaps the heads of each division could form the council, allowing for multiple meetings and reports),
Developers (server helpers, website helpers, etc),
General Admins & Mods,
Etc.

I was also thinking, about the younger generation of the Jedi.

For the minors, why not introduce some means of a group similar to the cadets of sorts?

Perhaps have a sort of Non Commissioned set of ranks for the minors, so they feel they're still playing a part in the Order whilst simultaneously learning more about the Order. It would also help to identify good fits for future ranks, once they're no longer minors.

Thanks!

More
4 years 3 months ago #346803 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Discord Direction
Note : this is a round table discussion- any rank title or any one is welcome to sit down and share here.

I am NOT computer savy. My ultimate goal in life is to live and be fully self sufficient to a point where the need to “need” is way past where it is in my life now. Why did I say this - ? Discord is not my thing. I know there are more people able to do more. Not a problem. I’m willing to learn and grow. So if ever any one comes to a point where there’s frustration or anything like that with me or my not understanding please be aware where I’m coming from. I am growing. This is part of my growth. If you like , join in. I ain’t gunna say no.
So first things first. That’s a huge list. There will be long lists. Don’t - please try not to get out of sorts with this ol fuddy Duddy! Lol.

So that all being said :

People should be able to see what they wanna see.
How?
I’m on different discord’s and the access is set for those . Is that what you speak of ? Access to different parts of the cord?

Right now as it stands, we have parallel names and titles from the Temple as access in discord. Member initiate knight and so on and so forth as well as the clergy titles too. Titles are not the subject as much as access for this. Is that what ya meant? Is that what ya meant when you said people should be able to see things that they want ? Access difrent rooms parts? Thanks in advance for every one who will be a part.

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J,

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346804 by Carlos.Martinez3
Real questions

How does one make a room like announcements only posts to the few ? Do we tag a announcement tag and only give a few that tag to that room with those tags or will it only let those people access it not every one?

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346806 by
If you aren't familiar with discord bots, then let me tell you. They make everything 100% easier to manage. There's a bot known as Zira. The way this bot works, is by sending a message and adding an emoji to that message. When someone clicks that emoji, it causes the user to get the rank bound to that message. E.g. if they want to see cooking, they go to the 'cooking' message and click the emoji. You then change the permissions on that rank, so when someone has the rank it allows them to see the specific channels. As for the private channels and announcements and such, there're many ways to deal with them. For example, have a phase system of the Jedi Order for the trainings. When someone passes Phase 1 of a training, they progress to phase 2 and so on. With each phase, there's a separate channel available for members with the phase ranks. The same for apprentices. When you pass one phase, you switch out the ranks. E.g. pass phase 1, replace the user's phase 1 rank with the phase 2 rank. They lose the ability to see the phase 1 channel, and gain the ability to view the phase 2 channel. Carlos, my brother, I'm more than happy to aid you with all of these changes and more. I used to get paid to do this, I do this on a professional level. I have no problems, what so ever, teaching you what ever you need to know. Too busy to learn? Fine by me! I'll be happy to teach a team of developers, so they understand it all perfectly. My time and efforts are 100% dedicated to the Order and it's members. So, pick my brain!

Thanks again!
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346807 by
In response to your question about the announcements,
It's simple, really!

Basically, when you change the permissions on a role, you can individually set permissions for each channel and category. By doing this, you can limit what certain ranks and people can see! You can also set up a guest area, for non-registered members of the server so they aren't able to see everything that's going on. This can prevent raids, spam, etc. A lot of the issues rely, with permissions. Which, can easily be fixed!

More
4 years 3 months ago #346823 by steamboat28
My main piece of advice is to let someone that understands Discord manage it until someone else can be trained.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, J. K. Barger, Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

More
4 years 3 months ago #346825 by Rex
Discord isn't meant to work like a forum, it's meant mostly for people to use while gaming. I'd say cut down on 95% of people's ability to spam @everyone, reduce privileges to chat in rooms like #announcements, and just archive half the rooms. Maybe find or make a bot that goes over the starting rules for conduct with new people (Zira is a good bot for organizing roles s/o Cicero). Also ensure that everyone in the discord has their nickname set to their TotJO username.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 3 months ago #346828 by Rosalyn J
Yeah actually discord is more dynamic, but it's taking a lot of traffic from the forum space.

The cool thing about the forum is that it's a bit more static and can accommodate more different/varied subforum.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 3 months ago #346829 by JamesSand
Bring back napster chat rooms....

I always forget my discord password, and no one is ever one when I am anyway....

but from what I've seen...there's a lot of channels (or whatever they're called in this case) is that normal? I figure that could probably be culled back a fair bit.

I'm assuming there are dedicated cooking discord groups or something, so we probably don't really need a "TotJO Recipe Chat" (I don't know if that's something we have, I'm just using it as an example)

I also figure that the "Main" temple is here - so the Discord should be focused on fun, relevant and direct/real time interaction, but anything that is particularly poignant, or might benefit by being referred back to later should be left to the Forum. (On the other hand, some inane conversations or one-off questions could be best had in the Chat, and save cluttering up the internet-tubes with threads that the world is better off without)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi