Any thoughts on how to make my Toshiba laptop that runs on Windows 7 faster ?

More
4 years 4 months ago #346635 by Malicious
Hey I was given this Toshiba laptop that runs on Windows 7 from a family member who got a new one . I tried a few YouTube videos on how to make it run faster but it only runs a little faster . I restored it to factory settings thinking it might be viruses but it wasn't . Any tips on how to make it run faster aka load websites quicker ? I know it's really not my wifi because I have this old Dell laptop that runs kinda quick but it doesn't keep a charge and has a broke screen but I still can see enough on it to use it . The reason why I don't use the Dell because it gets annoying with the broke screen . I mostly use it for here to keep an eye on ranks and a few other things .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #346636 by Br. John
I'm still running Windows 7. Details please. Model and especially what processor, how much RAM and they type of hard or solid state drive.

Founder of The Order

More
4 years 4 months ago #346638 by Malicious
Windows 7 home premium 32-bit
Precessor : AMD sempron Sl-42
2gb DDR ram , 250gb HDD

=_= Malicious (+_+)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #346639 by Rex
That's not gonna run faster, my dude. You could get a $100 laptop that's got better performance.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
4 years 4 months ago #346640 by Malicious
Well I was going to see what I can do with what I have before going out and buy a new one but if it's a lost cause then I guess I will save up to get a better one .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

More
4 years 4 months ago #346641 by Adder
More RAM is my answer to everything, aka get a bigger hammer. Though they say replacing Win with a Linux might be slicker for running things.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #346642 by Rex
That's a 10-15 year old processor, so I doubt you could even throw 8gb of ddr3l on it. Baseline stats for what a device should have depend a bit on how you intend on using it, but that laptop might not even have wifi connectivity. I know windows architecture is horrible, I just don't have the patience to use Linux/Unix

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
4 years 4 months ago #346645 by Malicious
Even tho it is like 10 years old it can connect to WiFi , I was looking up if I could throw 8gb of ram in it and yes I can but all together it would be cheaper and better to just go out and buy a new one . So I guess I will stick with my phone for now . Plus I honestly would never use it besides for temple matters like rank check or looking for a viable knight to train under once I get my IP finished but by the time I get my ip done I should have a better laptop . The only other thing I can think of is me using it for college but I'm holding off on that till next year anyway .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

More
4 years 4 months ago #346654 by forestjedi
My last few laptops have got to this sort of age and I've replaced Windows with Linux and given them a new lease of life.

Have had my current laptop for 8 or 9 years, 5 or so on Linux and still going strong. I really can't recommend it enough, unless there's something you really can't live without on Windows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malicious

More
4 years 4 months ago #346655 by Br. John
Linux is the least expensive way (probably free) and very likely the best way.

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/

Other than that it will cost and you'd have to decide if the cost is worth it. You could consider RAM and / or a solid state drive to replace the current one.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malicious

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi