I want to know, what is The Force?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345455 by
So I gave given my idea of what the force is to me and I have been told I'm stupid and a troll and that my ideas are just dumb. But no one offered anything to make it better, or another idea of what the force should be. So I want to know... what is the force? And how do the Jedi (I mean the temple enforcement part) define the force? I think if people cant come to this basic conclusion together then this place and as a group, the jedi are really meaningless. I wonder what others think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #345456 by

Fyxe wrote: So I gave given my idea of what the force is to me and I have been told I'm stupid and a troll and that my ideas are just dumb. But no one offered anything to make it better, or another idea of what the force should be. So I want to know... what is the force? And how do the Jedi (I mean the temple enforcement part) define the force? I think if people cant come to this basic conclusion together then this place and as a group, the jedi are really meaningless. I wonder what others think?

"a ubiquitous and metaphysical power that a Jedi (a follower of Jediism) believes to be the underlying, fundamental nature of the universe."

That's good enough for me (straight from the doctrine page of this temple, btw, accessible to all)

More
4 years 4 months ago #345457 by Malicious
"a ubiquitous and metaphysical power that a Jedi (a follower of Jediism) believes to be the underlying, fundamental nature of the universe."

That's good enough for me (straight from the doctrine page of this temple, btw, accessible to all)[/quote]

Personally I believe this as well .

=_= Malicious (+_+)

The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 4 months ago #345459 by Carlos.Martinez3
There is a freedom in the Force as much as there is a freedom with free choice. Jedi ism exist on what exist already. If we believe in the inherit worth of all then to display it would mean that we can apply it the way we choose. We have the right as humans to choose our own faith. We come to this place already full. Not every one comes to the Temple for the same reasons. We have the right to name what we call the Force. What it is to me is what I have chosen. Where I look for it and identify is to me and the Force alone. You can have that as well. What and where we put our “ Force “ can be up to us if we choose.
We can give definitions all day and still have no Force present.
There’s a old saying - “high wind - big thunder , no rain.”
There is a lot that is Modern day Jediism. Most is what we create or choose.
The Force is what you choose it to be. Where ... you lay your heart ... Where you find tour self and faitj... its up to you. Where you find those connections can be your choice. What’s the Force for real? What’s it to you ? I’ll gladly share my choices with any one listening. Have you made yours? My hope is mine and others who have made those choices help others looking for them.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Kobos, , Malicious, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 4 months ago #345460 by Rex
Are you going to keep asking this question until someone agrees with you that it's exactly the same thing shown in star wars?

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 4 months ago #345464 by Gisteron

Fyxe wrote: So I gave given my idea of what the force is to me...

No, you have not. You just pasted the line straight from the front page and once several responders pointed out how open to interpretation it was you got frustrated with them.

... and I have been told I'm stupid and a troll and that my ideas are just dumb.

No, the worst thing you were called is a liar, by yours truly. And I don't feel like apologizing for it precisely because of things like this. Not one user called you stupid or a troll. Meanwhile, you yourself actually did literally say you think we are trolls, but I guess it's okay when you do it, so what do I know. And no, nobody called your ideas dumb either. But do bear with us if we get mildly annoyed at your unceasing whining and lying, patiently though we engage with both nevertheless.

So I want to know... what is the force? And how do the Jedi (I mean the temple enforcement part) define the force? I think if people cant come to this basic conclusion together then this place and as a group, the jedi are really meaningless. I wonder what others think?

You really don't wonder what anyone thinks, you just wonder how many you can find to agree with yourself. Else you'd have noticed what they did respond to you the last two times you asked it and wouldn't now lie saying nobody had. However, luckily, you are not the only user here, so I shall take the opportunity to say what I think for perhaps those who are interested.

I think you are incorrect, Fyxe. I think meaning, both in the sense of importance and in the sense of a semantical relation, though particularly in the former, is personal - or at most interpersonal - rather than universal. If uniformity of perspective is what it takes for a community to stand by some meaning or to be meaningful to you, that's regrettable, but that is for you to sort out with yourself, not for us to bend under.

And as to what the Force is... I like Proteus' late August response to a recent threads by the same title. Incidentally, there is a third one from earlier this year, but I guess you are too busy "wondering" what others thing to actually read up on what they said. I can somewhat understand it. We're looking at one ten page thread, and another 24 page thread, so it's a lot of patience to muster for a question one alleges to have such a deep interest in. Anyway, the delightful way Proteus put it was "What is the Force not?" (emphasis added).

One way or another, those that pose any sort of real magical powers or parallel realms, or divine influences without exception are stuck doing so on at best profoundly spurious evidence, if any, and many are happy to say in more innocent sounding words that they essentially believe it for no reason whatsoever, let alone a good one. While I can personally respect them as individuals, I have genuinely no frame of reference by which to understand and appreciate such uncritical thinking. To me the idea that any one of us, much less one personally, is fit not only to identify a common context for all life is ludicrous, and the claim to having found the capital-T TruthTM like that the height of arrogance. Even the weaker claim of "but it's true for me, why can't you leave it be" reeks to me of this spirit of self-indulgence, this attitude of thinking oneself alone and being perfectly satisfied with poorly justified answers just so long as they are private and personal.
At any rate, in light of this lack of identifiable real world phenomenon that needs a new name like "the Force", and one at that, that also carries as much baggage as this name in particular does through it's introduction by means of the fiction, if there must be anything for us to call the Force at all, it has to be something inconcrete, abstract. The Force to me can be, say, a motivator. The recognition of the interwovenness of nature not in some mystical sense, but in a literal one, and with possibly ethical implications at that. I think of it as an encouragement to cherish life and to appreciate it in its brevity and beauty, and to recognize the limits it puts upon us, not as chains to be broken, but as river beds to guide us. I believe that such an interpretation is sufficiently vague and weak as to not collide with what we know about how stuff works, yet not so weak as to be without meaning or impact with respect to the attitudes we approach life with in a broader, more general sense, and the choices that eventually results in.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

More
4 years 4 months ago #345465 by Amaya

Fyxe wrote: So I gave given my idea of what the force is to me and I have been told I'm stupid and a troll and that my ideas are just dumb. But no one offered anything to make it better, or another idea of what the force should be. So I want to know... what is the force? And how do the Jedi (I mean the temple enforcement part) define the force? I think if people cant come to this basic conclusion together then this place and as a group, the jedi are really meaningless. I wonder what others think?

You seem to be asking the same question in different ways in an attempt to pin down a specific meaning that you already hold in your mind.
Although your temple enforcement part made me smile.
Now I don't think your stupid or a troll, but I do think you are asking not to hear but rather to see an echo of your thoughts and you may not find that.
I believe the force is everything, you are the force in motion right now. But I won't necessarily agree with everyone elses idea of what the force is, and that really doesn't matter. We are all unique and while there may be basic things we agree as a whole on, our interpretation of the force could be vastly different.
In a way everything is meaningless, so we bring meaning to what we believe in by our actions, using what we learn, which changes all the time as new information or different perspectives are added, the force is just a word, brought about by an unique space opera that took its meaning from many different sources including vastly different religions, cultures, influences (past, people, perspectives)
We put our own meaning into the force by what we choose to do with our understanding. Every act creates a ripple in life because we are connected togeather even if you don't see those connections. Our intentions, our thoughts even our energy (emotions and stance, body language) create ripples..
You walk in a room angry and observe the ongoing reaction throughout that room
Walk in happy, see a different reaction
Those are ripples and those to me, everything happening is happening in the force..
The force just is.. and we are within it.
Just my opinion I could keep rambling but I dont think you need to hear my thoughts as much as maybe you need to work on your own, write an essay on what you think, research different ideas, even those that you feel are opposite to yours, you may find it really interesting.
:)

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick, , Jake Nislan

More
4 years 4 months ago #345466 by Alethea Thompson
Here's another (longer) answer, that might clarify some things. It comes from the Jedi Compass.

"The Force- “The Force” is a loosely adapted term to explain a something which all cultures agree exist, but disagree on exactly what it is. As such, a Jedi dedicates themselves to understanding of all things within and through “the Force”. As a rule, no Jedi can set down in law a concrete definition of “the Force” for all to follow, only for themselves."

To give further explanation- if we all agree that it has certain parameters, we'll never truly try to explore it for ourselves. And as captured by the last line in the Heartland Jedi Creed: "It is through understanding of the Force I am transformed."

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skryym, Kobos, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 4 months ago #345467 by forestjedi
The Force is everything that is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Jake Nislan

More
4 years 4 months ago #345468 by Carlos.Martinez3

forestjedi wrote: The Force is everything that is.

If I may ask, for whom?
I find alot of times what I think is one thing or when I find things in general I tend to think every one should know this or even every one should feel the same way, it may not always be for any one else but me. In modern day Jeddism its very easy to pass off our own definitions that we have taken time and effort to find and "assume" others "should" know what we are talking about. Same with answers in modern day Jediism. They can only apply to the individual most times. So, I ask honestly not for drama and for edification more, who is the Force everything that is everything for? Generalization? ? Specific?

Is the taste of strawberry tea in the morning the Force? It is to some? Is the Force a taste? Is the Force a smell? It is for some. Is it a feeling? it is to some. What is the Force? Where ever your heart is, where ever your ideas lay, where ever YOUR attention is, thats where YOU are going to find the Force. Can it be different from every one else's definition, it has to be, we are NOT the same. We aint looking at the same thing. Thats one of the hardest things in modern day Jediism I find... how to be you with YOUR OWN definitions while other be THEM -WITH THEIR OWN definitions. Kinna like life but thats a sermon for another day.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Jake Nislan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi