Alcohol

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #343712 by
Alcohol was created by
What's a jedi's standing on the subject of alcohol? I usually don't drink at all but when I do I enjoy sipping on a 40 oz beer throughout a weekend day or I sip on some maple whiskey on occasion. I find this to actually be one of my flaws in life that I work on, its a struggle in social society to abstain from drinking entirely its become so normalized & I believe Jedi should be able to control themselves more than others when it comes to such things. Key word here "should".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #343713 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Alcohol
Flavored or sweetened ethanol hey..... too many health downsides or me to bother.
For me it ages me, by drying my skin out and so I'm not keen on finding out how else it would degrade me if I drank more..

The temporal fudge makes things silly and fun, and it can generate a feel good buzz obviously, but those things don't justify the cost to health for me to spend money on it.

I haven't drunk any in ages but I have, and will, but without a reason I tend not to. I have a bottle of Moët sitting idle, but it was given to me. Sometimes I get an itch to have a drink but end up with the same experience, and same outcome. Maybe, just don't buy it if you want to stop drinking it. When I do again it will be justified t the time as exploring something I haven't already had :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #343714 by
Replied by on topic Alcohol

RaisedFromWolves wrote: What's a jedi's standing on the subject of alcohol? I usually don't drink at all but when I do I enjoy sipping on a 40 oz beer throughout a weekend day or I sip on some maple whiskey on occasion. I find this to actually be one of my flaws in life that I work on, its a struggle in social society to abstain from drinking entirely its become so normalized & I believe Jedi should be able to control themselves more than others when it comes to such things. Key word here "should".

I don't know, from what you describe it sounds to me like you're pretty well in control. I myself drink very rarely, I think July was the last time I had a drink?

Anyway, I think of it in terms of attachment- healthy versus unhealthy; if it's not driving you to distraction, if it's not having a negative impact on your health or your life and relationships, I don't think there's a problem. I don't personally advocate for drinking regularly, but I don't condemn people who do (though I do urge alcoholics to seek help; if it's driven you to isolation to avoid some of my criteria, it's a problem)

More
4 years 7 months ago #343715 by forestjedi
Replied by forestjedi on topic Alcohol
I don't feel strongly that Jedi should or shouldn't drink, but I do feel that only the person themselves can establish what's right for them. If it's a problem for you, then it's a problem - that's enough to make it one.

If you aspire to stop drinking, I can recommend Allen Carr's "Easy Way To Control Alcohol". It's corny and feels like it shouldn't work, then it does.

And if you're just giving yourself a hard time over something you enjoy because you feel it's not aligned with a clan of imaginary space wizards ("imaginary" because many real-life Jedi do drink), stop worrying ;)

More
4 years 7 months ago #343716 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Alcohol
In my own life I have come to a point where I can enjoy a drink but am aware more now of why and how I use alcohol.
I tend to think if your using alcohol to avoid or cope with life then your not dealing and personally to me then that needs addressing.
You cant help others if your own problems are getting in your way.
As a Jedi I would think the lack of control when overdrinking would be a downfall, but at the same time I dont see a problem with having a drink with friends.
Its personal choice at the end of the day,
If you feel its out of control and want to stop then get help and support
But if its just a worry that a 'Jedi' shouldn't drink then I would say just be aware of why you are drinking, and know when to switch to soft drinks because everyones limits are different,

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos,

More
4 years 7 months ago #343732 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Alcohol
So, I am a complete abstinence from alcohol. I can legit say I had a pretty awful drinking problem. I've been alcohol free for 6 years 11 months, lol yea, I keep track a bit still. This in mind I am a very open minded individual on mind altering substances. Basically if it is not ruining your life, (I.E. Jail time, DUI, fighting, relationship destruction, mental health issues ect.) then have at it. Everything in moderation though.

"No Static got an automatic, too much of anything can make you an addict." -random rap song I forgot the name of. might be "No Static"

Much Love,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, OB1Shinobi,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #343733 by
I had a problem with cough syrup & painkillers ive been clean for 2 years now read a book called "as a man thinketh" by james Allen just made me wanna quit after i read it & when i did the withdrawals were terrifying lol I'd never abuse a substance again after going through that.

More
4 years 7 months ago #343735 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Alcohol
As a man thinketh is one of my go to’ s. I read it as often as I can.
I’ve had my addictions. I’ve had my vices. I have em still. Balance is a huge thing for me and here is no exception. Have I ever had a lampshade on my head? Yup! Have I ever enjoyed drinking and my vices ? Yup Have they held me a bit too long ... yup. Alcohol, for me was a tool. I was a bartender. The more I drank the more I made. So I thought. For me , when things get to far ... returns are defiantly a thing that can help ya. If we don’t cultivate a garden it’s grows wild. Nothing wrong with wild life but if you wanna grow something more - cultivation can make something different. If ya wanna grow something different - plant something different.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #343738 by
As a man thinketh truly is an eye opening book and the more you reread it the more you catch some knowledge you didn't notice before. But yes I believe alcohol is more of a nostalgic feeling for me especially whiskey I might have it twice a year but when i do it reminds me of cowboy days my great grandfather used to talk about.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #343740 by
All things in moderation. My grandfather was an alcoholic and one of my brothers is too. Grandfather never saw it as a problem until it killed him. My brother tried to convince everyone he was sober (while smelling of stale booze). It's wrecked both of them. My father and sister eat sweets constantly and are now diabetic and struggling with that impact on their lives. I've learned not to put anything in my body that doesn't actually do something positive for my body. I drink red wine in moderation due to the health benefits but no other alcoholic beverage at all. I don't even drink coffee (green tea instead) and avoid added sugar or things with large amounts of sugar (like juices) like the plague. All these things are no different than anything thing else. To much water is just as bad for you as drinking heavily, large amounts of vegetables can make you feel as sick as large amounts of meat, to much standing is just as bad as to much sitting, and so on and so forth.

The point is to make informed decisions. Do what you feel is best for you and those around you. I beleave people should follow their instincts and react accordingly when it comes to things like this.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi