What is the force?

More
4 years 7 months ago #342218 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What is the force?
Serious question : ready - what if a model of the Force is what no one ELSE believes ? Or can not believe ?
We never have to agree on things all the time - no one will ever have the same “Force” not will there ever be two fingerprints the same. Why must every answer be aligned with something we think is ok ? For some one else ? Hmmm when we define the Force - do we remember it only apples to is as individuals ? Hmm

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342220 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What is the force?
That is a very interesting point: What if the nature of reality itself is entirely dependent on the individual?

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 7 months ago #342221 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What is the force?

rugadd wrote: That is a very interesting point: What if the nature of reality itself is entirely dependent on the individual?

Mine is ... smiley face !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
4 years 7 months ago #342224 by rugadd
Mine is a stone in the river. It has many colors, and tumbles a bit when the weather raises the water, but otherwise still and happy.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342232 by
Replied by on topic What is the force?
If that is the case then why cant you put a blind person in a house he has never been in an he be capable of walking through the walls? It's because reality is not based on simple subjective perception.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342234 by rugadd
Obviously. But we have to live there. Everything one can pursue to understand better leaves countless others unexplored.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342248 by

rugadd wrote: Obviously. But we have to live there. Everything one can pursue to understand better leaves countless others unexplored.

Well, they do say one never stops learning lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342253 by
Sorry for late response Kazat0. Busy day at work. I supposed one could say that. I myself have never seen low level magic or force powers in real life, but I would equate them. Granted, I wouldn't be able to get a firm understanding of said magic/force powers till I actually witness them myself.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342257 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic What is the force?

Rex wrote: the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence

If I may briefly address this very common point - may it be up to moderation whether this had better be a separate thread or not - this is a very pretty saying that barely ever works in practice.

If there are any platonists around here, we may read some disagreement with this, but I would assert that propositions don't "just exist out there" in isolation. They are instead things people believe or believe not. And likewise, beliefs, too, aren't just idle items in peopls's minds, they inform their actions. So a statement that may sound like "Frank is cheating at poker" is really saying "If we were to perform a thorough search of Frank's body and seat we are likely to find hidden cards on at least one of the two.". If we do perform that search and find no evidence of Frank's cheating, it doesn't of course mean necessarily that he didn't, but it is evidence that he didn't in the sense that the prediction made from the proposition failed to at least within the thoroughness with which we had conducted the search. Likewise, if Frank were to claim clairvoyant or telekinetic powers, hardly any other means to judge those claims' accuracy is available to us than to interpret them as meaning that Frank could predict the future at a better rate than chance guesses or manipulate objects beyond what is accounted for through other physical forces. If then Frank consistently fails to demonstrate such abilities under even mildly controlled conditions, we are justified in rejecting his claims. We have evidence of their falsity because evidence of their accuracy failed to manifest when we had reason to expect that it would. The absence of evidence is in plenty a case just as well evidence of absence.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342301 by

Gisteron wrote: We have evidence of their falsity because evidence of their accuracy failed to manifest when we had reason to expect that it would. The absence of evidence is in plenty a case just as well evidence of absence.

Actually I would beg to differ with this conclusion. It is simply an argument from Ignorance. All you are really saying is that you cant find a way he cheated therefore its evidence that he did not cheat and that is just not accurate. Take a court of law as an example. The burden of proof is on the prosecutor to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor does prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the defendant is declared guilty. If the prosecutor does not prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt the defendant is declared not guilty. This does not mean he was declared INNOCENT, only not guilty. The defendant could have still committed the crime, its just that it could not be proven he did and that lack of evidence, no matter how heavy or slight, has no bearing on the defendants innocence only their ability to prove his guilt.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi