What is the force?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342144 by
What is the force? was created by
So like what is this place, or rather is the force really as in the movies like. Can you use it to influence or use telekinesis? Or what even is the force? I'm an atheist but I think there might be a sort of energy/force we don't know about yet and can't explain until later (like midiclorians in SW)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342146 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic What is the force?
Some people say yes, I say I haven't seen it or any reason to believe it yet. For TotJO star wars is more of a shared experience and example of myth in our lives than a Bible. Check out the Doctrine or IP tabs to get a better idea of what we believe
Cheers

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342147 by
Replied by on topic What is the force?
Welcome, Kazat0. I strongly recommend reading the FAQ.

That is a doozy of a question, there.

Prepare for many different answers.

The first answer: many people can manipulate/influence others, but The Force is not really involved, there. Anyone who tells you differently is, well, trying to manipulate you. The stance of the Temple, officially, is that while we draw inspiration from the Star Wars franchise, we do recognize it unambiguously as fiction. Telekinesis and other special mind powers are also not among what we purport to pursue or teach.

As to what the Force is? Well, again, the common stance is that it is something... Unknowable. One could engage in metaphor, like Obiwan when attempting to first explain it to Luke, but it' just that: a metaphor, not a solid, singular definition. I'm not aware of any believers in The Force who subscribe to the "midichlorians" school of thought.

For my own interpretation (interpretations really are the best you can expect), I view The Living Force, the connection between all living things, like magick. It does not work like it does in the movies, and more often than the new-age community will admit, attempts at it are going to have dubious success, at best. Then of course there is the Unifying Force, that something that surrounds and binds all of creation, from which all creation has sprung, and to which all life returns when they die. Just energy, in perpetual motion, back and forth. No soul to carry on in an afterlife, what individuality existed is gone once you've returned to the source. All that remains is in the memories of those we leave behind (so, you know, try not to be a dick).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342149 by
so you believe in magick and but not force powers?

More
4 years 7 months ago #342150 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic What is the force?
Well there's a difference between saying something biological lets you pick up an x-wing and believing in low magic. At the same time, a rose by any other name would be just as magical

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342151 by
I think he's actually saying they are one in the same. He was just saying they are less, spectacular i guess would be the right word. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's the way I read it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342152 by

Kelrax Lorcken wrote: .
...As to what the Force is? Well, again, the common stance is that it is something... Unknowable...

...For my own interpretation (interpretations really are the best you can expect), I view The Living Force, the connection between all living things, like magick. It does not work like it does in the movies...

So I find these statements contradictory and it seems you have done a disservice to the OPs question. You say the force is "unknowable" and yet in the next paragraph you go on to describe attributes of it. So if its unknowable how do you actually "know" anything about it? If its unknowable, then how do you know it does not work like it does in the movies?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342154 by
He specified the GENERAL consensus is that it's unknowable. He then described HIS interpretation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342155 by

Deimos wrote: He specified the GENERAL consensus is that it's unknowable. He then described HIS interpretation.

Does it not follow that if something can be known about it then the general consensus (that it is unknowable) is wrong?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342156 by
That depends on what you consider "known". I would attribute Kelrax's statements to more of a personal opinion rather something that is known as I define something as known if there is evidence for said claim.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi