YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI

More
4 years 7 months ago #342028 by Carlos.Martinez3

VixensVengeance wrote:

Manu wrote:

VixensVengeance wrote: Ugg... I had promised myself I would stay out of this thread, however you have peaked my curiosity with this comment. Are there certain things that are not allowed to be discussed here then?

I would say that in general, most service providers are bound to prevent sharing of content that is inciting criminal activity.

So if I were to say “help me out, I can’t kill someone, so I want your input on the next best thing on how to do it digitally”, I think that it’s crossing the line, since the conversation was not about the phenomena of digital bullying, scamming, hacking, but more of a “how to” thread.

Do you think "digital murder" should be a crime? If so how would you define those parameters? What would be the specific requirements to be accused or convicted of such an offense?

Where ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342029 by
Replied by on topic YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote:

VixensVengeance wrote:

Manu wrote:

VixensVengeance wrote: Ugg... I had promised myself I would stay out of this thread, however you have peaked my curiosity with this comment. Are there certain things that are not allowed to be discussed here then?

I would say that in general, most service providers are bound to prevent sharing of content that is inciting criminal activity.

So if I were to say “help me out, I can’t kill someone, so I want your input on the next best thing on how to do it digitally”, I think that it’s crossing the line, since the conversation was not about the phenomena of digital bullying, scamming, hacking, but more of a “how to” thread.

Do you think "digital murder" should be a crime? If so how would you define those parameters? What would be the specific requirements to be accused or convicted of such an offense?

Where ?

?? Where What??

More
4 years 7 months ago #342030 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI
You would have to establish there was actual damage done to the person not associated with other prevailing, preexisting factors. I know there are some grounds for emotional distress in court cases, but you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the actions of the accused were responsible for the trauma. Often times it is dismissed because the defense proves through other social media etc. that the accuser has a history of fragile or combative spirit and thus can not rightly claim that the defendant is at fault. Libel is a huge concern for greater entities, of course, but unless what was said goes from "making me feel bad" too "I suffered harm at the hands of others because what was said" your not going to get anywhere. "I lost my job because of how I feel over what you wrote." is not the same as "I was fired because my employer believed the lie you wrote."

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342031 by
So in that case do you believe that someone playing a sniper in a video game that delights in killing the same person, another combatant in that video game, over and over until the one being shot is so frustrated he throws his game system across the room? It was a malicious act and emotional harm was done to the victim. So can we accuse the sniper of digital murder with malice and thus convict him if its proven that he actually caused emotional distress to the other? What do you suppose the actually punishment would be in this case? Would you send them to a physical jail or put them in a virtual prison for a period of time?

More
4 years 7 months ago #342034 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI
I honestly don't know. In the scenario you posted, sometimes nothing. It's a game. get over it. In other identical scenarios the headhunter gets blocked from participating. When does a lack of self control become someone else's problem? Even being malicious about it isn't enough in some cases.

I really don't know.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 7 months ago #342035 by ren
Replied by ren on topic YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI
Virtual truths are lies, therefore Virtual identities cannot be killed.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, ZealotX

More
4 years 7 months ago #342036 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI
"Griefing" is a bannable offense in many video games, it isn't in others. Rule application is a matter of setting what type of user base the game has. Given that TotJO is explicitly against the death penalty, I don't think digitally simulating murder is in the spirit of the temple

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342037 by

rugadd wrote: I honestly don't know. In the scenario you posted, sometimes nothing. It's a game. get over it. In other identical scenarios the headhunter gets blocked from participating. When does a lack of self control become someone else's problem? Even being malicious about it isn't enough in some cases.

I really don't know.

Thank you. I appreciate your answer because its honest.

Taking that idea and applying it to Phoenixes thread is what I want everyone to see here. She was talking about a specific context that seems to now have been ignored in such comments as Manus and just glossed over in the effort to use it as an excuse to ban. If you reread the thread she started it specifically states the intent of the question. It was to be used as a means to assume power in a sith context in a virtual environment where all participants agree to the terms of its use. Its akin to a fight to the death sort of scenario carried out in a virtual environment that is absent the digital graphics that video games enjoy. Thats all it was. People have read way to much into what she wrote, so as Rugard so eloquently says, Get over it! ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342039 by

VixensVengeance wrote:

rugadd wrote: I honestly don't know. In the scenario you posted, sometimes nothing. It's a game. get over it. In other identical scenarios the headhunter gets blocked from participating. When does a lack of self control become someone else's problem? Even being malicious about it isn't enough in some cases.

I really don't know.

Thank you. I appreciate your answer because its honest.

Taking that idea and applying it to Phoenixes thread is what I want everyone to see here. She was talking about a specific context that seems to now have been ignored in such comments as Manus and just glossed over in the effort to use it as an excuse to ban. If you reread the thread she started it specifically states the intent of the question. It was to be used as a means to assume power in a sith context in a virtual environment where all participants agree to the terms of its use. Its akin to a fight to the death sort of scenario carried out in a virtual environment that is absent the digital graphics that video games enjoy. Thats all it was. People have read way to much into what she wrote, so as Rugard so eloquently says, Get over it! ;)

Exactly, VV. Thank you. Seems I’m unbanned as well.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
4 years 7 months ago #342042 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic YOU FOOLISH PSEUDO JEDI
Disagreeing with the group isn't an issue...if done properly....presentation matters, manners matter...we have plenty here that don't agree with everything and they are more respectful in the way they present their disagreement...

By all means disagree-away....just be respectful in how it's done...

Remember we have minors on this site as well...if you wouldn't say/do it in front of your own kids don't do it where other's kids could see...and remember just because you're thick skinned and coarse doesn't mean everyone else is....

Even i have to watch myself on occasion...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi