The Attention Diet

More
4 years 9 months ago #340109 by Manu
The Attention Diet was created by Manu
https://markmanson.net/attention-diet?utm_campaign=mmnet-newsletter-201911-06-28&utm_medium=email&utm_source=mmnet-newsletter&utm_content=read-the-attention-diet

Thoughts? Do you struggle with this? How do you manage?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #340113 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic The Attention Diet
Definitely. Funny enough I have a roughly annual social media purge where I just get rid of people who don't add anything positive to my life, and that is oddly cathartic on its own.
I do think he goes overboard on a couple things: email and getting rid of the news, but I still agree on the idea behind them.

I have to check email for work, and I naturally do so regularly (1/hr) so it's not a social thing for me. With news, I go for the long format option he touts earlier and refuse to visit buzzfeed and all other crap sites (garbage in garbage out)

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340124 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic The Attention Diet
Based on the replies here, I get the feeling this is a "click on my content to learn how to avoid clicking on content" sort of thing, which is all over the live well, simplify, and other crap content (and often smug) blogs.

ANYWAY.

I've got time to kill before my partner gets up for breakfast that I was only going to spend on cosplay pictures and random pokemon mix'n'match generators..., so sure, I'll give it a half arsed read.

Righto, and that's done.

It was a bit of a whoopty-doo, along with imbedded youtube videos (hmm?), plugs for books, other articles, and a feed-you-straight-to-the-next-time-sink-article link at the bottom, along with a permanently floating ad to sign up (free ebook! Wow!)

I play games - computer, board, card, puzzles, etc etc. I'm more than happy to drown time in pointless activities - and I try not to judge others for how they pass the minutes between now and death.

HAVING SAID THAT - my major gripe with....content...is that it is so crap and there is so much of it - which is rather defeating the purpose of the internet.

Since I just made a coffee, I'll use that as a metaphor - my kitchen cupboard is relatively well organised (relatively, I've still got that area of not-sure-if-I-can-find-the-lids containers, and half-a-container-of-spices-that-I-bought-for-one-meal-and-will-never-use-again, and cups-I-don't-use-but-someone-gave-me-so-I-keep-them, but that's getting off track)

The point is, the cupboards I DO often access are laid out neatly with the things I need - coffee, for example.

The internet is not this tidy, because it's just one big giant sinkhole of garbage, with some coffee in there somewhere, and when I want coffee (now a metaphor for useful information) I have to wade through hip-deep trash, not even nice dry cardboard trash - wet murky smelly bin juice trash with old salads and used hygiene items and something that moves in it.

Given that my job requires me to occasionally be accurate, finding correct and true information in this quagmire of filth is somewhat of a chore. You can help this by NOT using Google or other search engines heavily influenced by popularity or advertisements, but that's not a perfect solution, because there is just so much goddamn dross in the place that you end up reading a lot of it just to determine if it is going to maybe at least point you in the right direction for what you want to know.

Freedom of the press is one thing, but I'm not sure every tom dick and harry on the socials can make the claim that their utter drivel should be protected simply because they had a mind fart, and access to a computer (and we monetised page/video views)

ANYWAY, at risk of sounding smug myself - I've found over the last (dear god, has it been 15 years?) that simply NOT engaging in the socials has had pretty much nil detriment to my success and life.
Heck, simply walking away from people who try to show me their phone screens to share something, usually with a belittling quip has not lost me any friends I can't do without.

(I know people who feel "guilty" if they are not active on the socials. I don't really know how to fix that feeling for them, but not being part of a game I don't care about doesn't really leave me feeling like I've failed any ethical test)

Edit: I have nothing against the Author as such, I gifted his book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, to a young staff of mine* as an introductory philosophy on worrying less about irrelevant things (because not everyone wants to read the Tao of Pooh)

*In case you're wondering, they never read it, it turns out they are the sort of person that has lots of books they're "going to read", but never seem to read them, so I have no useful feedback as to whether or not it was a handy stepping stone or not, other than a brief lesson to myself on wasted money and missing my mark on that particular piece of mentoring.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by JamesSand.

More
4 years 9 months ago #340135 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Attention Diet
I find people are exceedingly demanding compared to other types of iinfo. interactions, but I have a partner and so find it easy to keep the socializig low drag. Which just leaves having skills to speed read and discard junk pursuits to enable traction on the useful stuff. Just work out what is useful and learn to enjoy it!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi