Focus. Distractions and wasted effort

More
4 years 10 months ago #339629 by Manu
If I am to take an honest look at my forum participation, I would be obligated to report a majority of my posting and replies reside in topics related to forum drama.

Forum drama is not completely without its use; it (ironically) drives cohesion, as we bond beyond the strictly philosophical, logical debate and engage more of our emotional selves. Also, the discomfort from “clashing” with others reveals shadows of ourselves that would otherwise go unnoticed in a setting that is “all harmony and no fight”.

However, I wonder how much of this time spent arguing over how we feel about things running here interferes with actual, deep study of our own mental models, and the myriad world philosophies and religions that inform those models.

Do you feel you are embodying the pillar/tenet of Focus? Are you ensuring your time here is well spent, and not wasted? Time is finite for all of us, as is our other resources (energy/“spoons”/cellphone battery even).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #339633 by JamesSand
You may (or may not) have noticed my more or less reduced post rate in the last 12-18 months.

I tired of seeing the only threads active being forum drama threads, so I spend my time on motorbike and fitness forums. Subjects and activities that bring me joy in both the act and the discussion of.

Jediism brings me joy. The discussion of it here it would seem does not. I don't have any pro tips for how to make this a community people want to contribute to. Not my brand, not my problem.

That feedback is free though ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Athena_Undomiel, Kobos

More
4 years 10 months ago #339637 by Amaya
I find the forum drama can teach me things about myself.
I learnt from recent events that I have vastly different tolerance levels for individuals depending on my emotional investment.
It shows me where I need to focus my learning and better apply understanding and openness.

Is the time I invest here wasted?
Even an argument can teach me something about how I interact and come across to others. So probably not a waste.
Not to say I dont occasionally come here just to waste an hour reading through the forums

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi