How should we act when awarded?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #338456 by
This has been a question on my mind for some time now. I recently competed in a competition and placed 2nd. I was called up onto stage and was handed my medal and moved into a room to take pictures. The whole time, from my walk down to the stage to the moment I met my friends and received their congratulations. I couldn't help but just smile and think how I should act. If I was to smile to big, would I be considered pompous? If I didn't smile enough, would I be considered cold and ungrateful? If I didn't say thank you to everyone saying congratulations, would I be considered selfish and egotistical? If I wore the medal for to long, would I look arrogant and self absorbed? How should one act when being awarded? Is there even a proper way to do so?

I look forward to everyone's response. Please help to shed some light on this situation for me!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #338457 by Manu
Stretch out with your feelings.

Consider every single friend and family member who directly or indirectly supported your path to victory.

Be grateful for them.

Extend the brilliance of your happiness to them.

You are a winner. Don't stop smiling :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #338473 by
Replied by on topic How should we act when awarded?
“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” – Lao Tzu

More
4 years 10 months ago #338477 by Carlos.Martinez3
I usually scream - Cheeee hooo as loud as I can most times and I got my happy dance perfected -
Others smile or join in along with me - it’s one of those non gyrating non sexual type of dances you can do with any one in your own space and actually enjoy - ya know like - the two step or the fox trot or even the Hula or Haka- smileys face.
Have you ever seen some one act the way you wanted ? Ever seen a character displayed worth having or seeking? That’s one of the joys of being human - the freedom to choose a lot of different things. Happy seeking

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
4 years 10 months ago #338479 by RyuJin
short answer....act just the same as you would if you didn't know any awards were going to be given...an award is a recognition of your acts or deeds...if you conduct yourself expecting to be given an award then the award means nothing...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 10 months ago #338482 by Manu

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” – Lao Tzu

This is very important. No matter how loveable or charismatic you are, you will always have someone hating on you. So don't act centered around the question "will this please everyone?". Instead, act with the question "is this what I believe is good?".

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos,

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
4 years 10 months ago #338484 by RyuJin
"if you ain't got at least 9 people hatin' on you, you doing somethin' wrong" -kat williams-

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #338533 by
I can think of a little green dude who didn't much care for the perception of others, s'long as he knew he was on the path.

Do what comes naturally, the rest doesn't matter.

More
4 years 10 months ago #338618 by ZealotX

Olympus wrote: This has been a question on my mind for some time now. I recently competed in a competition and placed 2nd. I was called up onto stage and was handed my medal and moved into a room to take pictures. The whole time, from my walk down to the stage to the moment I met my friends and received their congratulations. I couldn't help but just smile and think how I should act. If I was to smile to big, would I be considered pompous? If I didn't smile enough, would I be considered cold and ungrateful? If I didn't say thank you to everyone saying congratulations, would I be considered selfish and egotistical? If I wore the medal for to long, would I look arrogant and self absorbed? How should one act when being awarded? Is there even a proper way to do so?

I look forward to everyone's response. Please help to shed some light on this situation for me!

If you have to ask you're doing it wrong. Act natural. If you want jump and down like a maniac then do it. Don't act at all. When you're acting it doesn't change who you are. It's just putting on a show because you "Fear" how others will perceive you. And that fear can be a path to the dark side.

If you don't want to be that person that seems pompous or ungrateful then simply be humble and grateful and then be yourself. If you are pompous (which doesn't seem so) then you have to accept it before you can change it. And then you change it from within not from without. It is harder for that internal change to come if you keep editing yourself to be perceived a certain way. It's the same as wearing a mask. If you wear a mask all the time people don't really know what your real face looks like. And if they can't see your real face, do they really know you? Or could anyone simply take off a mask and say they were you the whole time? How could they tell the difference between 2 people wearing the same mask?

I say this as someone who wears a mask at times. But my mask is not about being afraid but more about hiding the truth from people who would be hurt by it (a constant challenge to their beliefs). My general personality, nature, character are all truthful and always my true self. And I don't have a need to hurt them or have unnecessary conflict that outweighs my need for those same people to see the truth. So I'm not saying always be you and never second guess the face you show people. But rather it must be balanced and putting a mask on and taking it off should be limited so that you don't forget you're wearing a mask, what the mask is for, and so you don't forget how to take the mask off.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 10 months ago #338620 by

ZealotX wrote: If you are pompous (which doesn't seem so) then you have to accept it before you can change it.

It does not necessarily follow that accepting it leads to changing it. If you have no contrition for pompous action then accepting it becomes an act of integration, not of rejection or modification. Everything in our lives can be used positively or negatively. being pompous is no different. When harnessed and used wisely it can be very powerful. It is a natural way to build confidence. one performs at a higher standard because we believe they can. It cuts those unwanted people from your circle as well. The ability to ignore the distressing acts of others is valuable in your own personal accomplishment. You will be the one to take a stand when others are afraid. It allows you to be outside your comfort zone. You will be the one making decisions for yourself instead of allowing others to. Harnessed in these ways it can be a positive influence in your life.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi