How is rank about academics and not just a popularity contest?

More
4 years 11 months ago #338093 by Rosalyn J
Additionally Edu Admin had asked for a more consistant set of lessons for Apprenticeship. Knights got mad, apprentices got mad, mob got mad. Something about individuality

This is the fruit of that

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago #338094 by

Rosalyn J wrote: Additionally Edu Admin had asked for a more consistant set of lessons for Apprenticeship. Knights got mad, apprentices got mad, mob got mad. Something about individuality

This is the fruit of that

Sounds like the privates telling the generals what to do. Not a good policy to adopt.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 11 months ago #338095 by ren
Weren't you one of those privates Kyrin?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago #338096 by

ren wrote: Weren't you one of those privates Kyrin?

Well I suppose you could say that but I always wanted more standardization not just a free for all. For example instead of just completing whatever, I have always thought the rank degrees should be more standardized but segregated. If you want a degree in Jedi basket weaving take this pool of courses, if you want a degree in Jedi philosophical physics then this course pool is for you. That sort of thing. It speaks much better to the different levels each of us are at and it allows for individual growth at a rate each requires at a more standardized yet personal level.

More
4 years 11 months ago #338097 by Rosalyn J
But what about the sacredness of the partnership between you and your TM?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
4 years 11 months ago #338098 by RyuJin
well, rank is a bit of both really.

the academic portion is the lessons etc. while the popularity portion has to do with how you conduct yourself. an apprentice that is disruptive and troublesome will likely not get promoted if they rub too many of their seniors the wrong way. jedi should be able to point out and correct problems in a dignified, rational manner. instead too many seem to give in to their negative emotions and resort to accusations, name calling, etc...there is nothing wrong with fighting for what is right, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do so.

originally senior knight wasn't an academic rank, it was a way of distinguishing knights that had put in significant work with/for the temple, it was later shifted to an academic rank. i was one of the first few to have the rank, when it was lieutenant knight, along with jestor, and jasper, then later damion...

i was considering the idea of having 2 paths to knighthood, 1 being the traditional method of apprenticeship etc, the other being academic...however i'm beginning to question that idea seeing as many academics seem to lack the correct mindset, or so it seems...

a jedi should be:
polite
humble
kind
generous
considerate
respectful
diligent

these traits are difficult to teach or learn purely academically...they require a guide, or an academic with the right mindset...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol, Carlos.Martinez3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #338099 by

Rosalyn J wrote: But what about the sacredness of the partnership between you and your TM?

What about it? How does that idea affect that at all? There can be a requirement for electives so the team can also explore what ever else they want in addition, but it also allows for a minimum set standard for completion.

the academic portion is the lessons etc. while the popularity portion has to do with how you conduct yourself. an apprentice that is disruptive and troublesome will likely not get promoted if they rub too many of their seniors the wrong way. jedi should be able to point out and correct problems in a dignified, rational manner. instead too many seem to give in to their negative emotions and resort to accusations, name calling, etc...there is nothing wrong with fighting for what is right, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do so.

What this simply equates to is not the correct or incorrect way, it is the way YOU want them to be done. If any Jedi path is a valid path then you cant dictate an incorrect or correct way to approach anything. The best you can do is restrict those Jedi YOU feel this temples personal policies do not comport with. That is quite different than discounting anyone as a Jedi Knight you simply dont agree with. I would see this as the difference between the degree and the rank.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by .

More
4 years 11 months ago #338101 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: But what about the sacredness of the partnership between you and your TM?

What about it? How does that idea affect that at all? There can be a requirement for electives so the team can also explore what ever else they want in addition, but it also allows for a minimum set standard for completion.

What this simply equates to is not the correct or incorrect way, it is the way YOU want them to be done. If any Jedi path is a valid path then you cant dictate an incorrect or correct way to approach anything. The best you can do is restrict those Jedi YOU feel this temples personal policies do not comport with. That is quite different than discounting anyone as a Jedi Knight you simply dont agree with. I would see this as the difference between the degree and the rank.

This is strictly my own opinion on the matter and I would hope I share it with others here.
The “standard” as some may call it, is also a part of how one conducts themselves in the Temple and how they approach things/ how they answer and what they answer. This is a hard pill to take in some ways and even harder to enforce. A Knight has Knightly character. Who says what is knightly and what isn’t? What is - knightly character ? Ryujin gave a list and it sounds good on paper but when displayed ... its easily read ( in this case of the Temple) because we cant actually see you or be physically next to you - we kinna have to take it for what we read and how it’s reacted to. Representation of our Order is given as well as the titles and ranks. That as well, is a part of the whole gig of being a Knight as well. There IS a standard. We try our best to maintain it. Not all will make that - “standard.” Not every one who calls them self Jedi is knightly. Flat out. It’s not a popularity thing more than a representative type of thing. Your free to pick and choose your own path. No one can tell you what you believe and what you choose to believe and how. We stand for enlightenment and seeking - that glow that idea is what we try to keep as we encourage others to find the freedoms some of us have. We try to find others like this. Who act and teach and speak Knightly. Those who dont or choose not to may not make the rank. Our Order and Knights stand a bit higher - at least we try- it’s the try that sometimes makes the difference. The standard of try can’t be penned or even said because it varies from person to person.
My 2 cents.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 11 months ago #338102 by ren

there is nothing wrong with fighting for what is right, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do so.

Then there are people outright fighting the wrong thing.

originally senior knight wasn't an academic rank, it was a way of distinguishing knights that had put in significant work with/for the temple, it was later shifted to an academic rank. i was one of the first few to have the rank, when it was lieutenant knight, along with jestor, and jasper, then later damion...

Trusted knights, who unlike other knights, could teach.

i was considering the idea of having 2 paths to knighthood, 1 being the traditional method of apprenticeship etc, the other being academic...however i'm beginning to question that idea seeing as many academics seem to lack the correct mindset, or so it seems...

We have no academic knights, all were OK'd by a TM, and on occasion apprentices OK'd by their TM were ultimately denied by the council.

Right now the knights control the curriculum and judge readiness and completion. The system has proven catastrophic as the first person to be knighted through it suffered a meltdown that eventually lead to their removal from the order.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Carlos.Martinez3

More
4 years 11 months ago #338105 by Carlos.Martinez3
^^ that
Rank is a trust in our Order
Not a contest.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova