Manners

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #337005 by Kobos
Manners was created by Kobos
So, a somewhat simple question that will require a complex answer I am sure, one which I can not decypher.

When do manners and "societal norms" become enforced silence?

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Kobos. Reason: Added Statement
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #337007 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Manners
Manners, ahhhhh I love manners and in this world of craziness I don't say most humans don't have em, but what ive noticed is how easily some are often reminded of how useful they are and how easily they can be given and received. In public I harp on manners to my family and children and for the most part that's what sets us all apart. There is a saying ive heard Watts say and the gist is this - there can come a time when you can out manner every one - what then? Is that the purpose of having them? What happens when you out manner every one? I keep that in my mind often and in my heart. Balance is always key in things in life and to me, this is no exception. I teach my boy and family manners along with this lesson- manners matter but not at the expense of others, for it is manners that can create quality. If manners undo then what's the purpose? Use manners to create a better connection for you and a better environment for yourself rather than dismantle and unraveling. I don't say that to the 6 year old but that's the idea in the Martinez house hold any how. I look forward to the other ways of thought on this as well. Thanks Kobos! May the Force continue to be with you ….

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #337010 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Manners
To protect suffering perhaps. I was reading on twitter how a few ladies were expressing techniques for blokes to for avoiding freaking out single women in elevators.... to press their button before her so it didn't look like he was stalking her floor.... and leaving the elevator first and walking ahead of her so it didn't look like he was positioning himself into a snatching pursuit position from behind. A bit bizarre to read TBH, as I never think like that beyond keeping distances and assessing characters.... and some of the suggestions are rather piecemeal TBH, yet.... in normal conduct might help to reduce the anxiety felt by victims of assault, and if its no skin off my nose to do simple things like that, why not (if I ever remember them!). So in the same way, being mindful of suffering or potential suffering can change how and what we might say, if it can be said in a equally effective manner without causing anxiety.

Maybe also to ensure some equanimity in affording access or participation across difference. Again, in an aviation context, radio communications have to be succinct ie; brief, concise and clear. The brevity is because there is often many users wanting to communicate at the same time, so in an effort to enable sharing of the platform they are generally both procedurally formatted but also said as fast as possible without loosing clarity. Being concise plays to the brevity but while also enabling the required information in a least ambiguous manner. And the clarity is obviously just so it can be heard... as having to repeat something really wastes time. There is also a rough order of things, a priority, and so an order of sorts where different things are said by different people who are tracking what is being said be who so to avoid people talking at the same time and creating a garbled mess of many voices.

If I have understood your question. I guess its about putting something above oneself, and participating in something rather then using that something for oneself.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Adder.

More
4 years 11 months ago #337013 by Garwa Mayharr
Replied by Garwa Mayharr on topic Manners
Manners seems to be a fading respect today. I work a part time job as a bouncer at a Nightclub in a collage town. So I have had the opportunity to observe people from different backgrounds and cultures. Males are by far the majority of our kick outs. Some have a lack of respect of boundaries with our female patrons. Some are so bold to even ask the bartenders for sexual favors. We have posted sign at our entrance with a list of unacceptable behaviors. Anything thing deemed by our staff that seems to make other patrons to feel uncomfortable will result in being asked to leave. Manners in these kinds of establishment are important to make the environment feel safe and fun, so we do enforce them. We live in a different time these days. I often wander what was the social conditioning of these individuals that I make leave that makes them believe they can act without commons manners. Is the term "Chivalry is dead" true?. Is there still a need for the archaic term. When I ponder that I remember the line Gandalf gave to Galadriel in "The Hobbit"

Galadriel: Mithrandir... Why the hafling?

Gandalf: Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? I don't know. Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 11 months ago #337027 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Manners

Some have a lack of respect of boundaries with our female patrons. Some are so bold to even ask the bartenders for sexual favors.

So are you saying we should go back to the way things were and abandon this modern asking first game? :whistle:

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
4 years 11 months ago #337029 by Garwa Mayharr

ren wrote:

Some have a lack of respect of boundaries with our female patrons. Some are so bold to even ask the bartenders for sexual favors.

So are you saying we should go back to the way things were and abandon this modern asking first game? :whistle:

I believe the "asking first" game is already purposefully forgot.

It should have been instilled in us at a young age. Some learned these mannerism and some did not. Its not their fault though. Some people do get a different upbringing. But I do feel that "Common Manners" should be somewhat "Common Sense"

More
4 years 11 months ago #337030 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Manners

Garwa Mayharr wrote:

ren wrote:

I believe the "asking first" game is already purposefully forgot.

It should have been instilled in us at a young age. Some learned these mannerism and some did not. Its not their fault though. Some people do get a different upbringing. But I do feel that "Common Manners" should be somewhat "Common Sense"

So what is it about manners what parts of a society have we missed? I know for a fact that as we venture out in the world - a jerk will be a jerk no matter the gender or label. Manners is a strange thing - here in the USA it’s not taught or even emphasized in schools or even organizations. What and where these types of things have a greater impact in my own opinion is often home. Here where I live there are no places or even any type of classes lessons or anything like that available on said subject.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garwa Mayharr, Kobos

More
4 years 11 months ago #337045 by Tannis Yarl
Replied by Tannis Yarl on topic Manners
Manners were taught to me 1st at home, then reinforced in Church and School, and further honed by social interactions, some trial and error included here. I don't imagine it was different for anyone else. As Jedi we hone our Empathy so we can connect and relate to our fellow beings in a meaningful way. Paying attention to other's thoughts & feelings is required, and teaches us where & how we can be genuinely helpful to them. A lot of the previous comments fixate on Human male/female interactions relating to personal space and sexual interactions. I'm going to oversimplify it with facial expressions, and say if they smile you may be on the right track, and a frown is a warning sign, tears and screams means you've blown it big time. I don't think it hurts anything to ask for what you want, and ask what she wants from you, in respectfully and in tactful ways: "I'm feeling a connection with you, I'm interested in getting more aquainted. Is that something you want to explore further with me?" Guys, the best way is to stay calm and let her tell you where she wants things to go. The romantic idea of: "if it's Real Love you'll know what I want without my saying it" is Pure Crap! Being emotionally involved doesn't immediately give you mental telepathy with your significant other. That comes from shared experiences over time, and a lifetime of paying acutely attention to each other. It's intuition & experience, not telepathy. The beginning is awkward and needs more circumspection. A simple approach is to think of her as the daughter of your parent's best friend. Now ask for that date, lean in for that first kiss, consider more intimate interactions in that light and see how it all changes.

Tannis Yarl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 11 months ago #337049 by Garwa Mayharr

Tannis Yarl wrote: Manners were taught to me 1st at home, then reinforced in Church and School, and further honed by social interactions,

I think that it is assumed that manners will be taught at home, and that is a good place for it... From my background. I was taught my manners from Boy Scouts, being that I was in a traditional troop.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #337063 by
Replied by on topic Manners
Let’s remember the other side of manners as well. Manners is a social and cultural aspect of society, so who gets to decide what good (or bad) manners actually is for the individual? I have been accused of bad behavior here countless times and yet in those complaints no actual rules were broken. Instead it’s an accusation of breaking the “spirit of the rule”. Well there are rules and then there’s the spirit of the rule. It is this spirit of rule that manners falls under. These get described as “just common sense” but is it really? I would say no. Is it bad manners to take a phone call in a restaurant? Breast feed in public? Play music on a bus? Is it really reasonable to expect others to conform to our ideals of what good manners are?

I’m not saying that there is no place for manners. At their most basic level manners are a set of shared rules to help us show consideration for other people instead of acting in complete self-interest. These sorts of rules help keep unhygienic practices out of society for example. In this way they are social rules that aim to make public spaces cleaner and safer for everyone. But these rules can also be used detrimentally as a means of majority rule and used to exert power over others. So while covering your mouth while coughing is a good practice because it helps prevent the spread of disease, shaming a young mother for public breast feeding or reprimanding an individual for her use of free speech should be undesirable practices because they are used as a means to control how others use public spaces.

Attempting to train others to conform to your idea of good manners is often an exercise in futility brought on by an unconscious need for control. As Jedi this is not something that should be held in high regard. Dictating to others or shaming them on how to behave often times evokes the opposite response. The problem comes about because each of us have different ideas of proper behavior in any specific situation. But instead of accepting this truth, perceived bad behavior is often met with accusations of selfishness and lack of consideration. It becomes quickly apparent that people have different expectations of an engagement. Some prefer dignified interactions, others look for more social exchanges and still others seek a more aggressive or provocative approach. Each of these is designed to accommodate the taste of the individual. The best approach is to be accepting of all these methodologies without undue judgement.

But more often than not this is not the case. This is because people tend to think their own viewpoint is the common sense one and others are wrong. All the time I will hear from others how my behavior is obviously wrong or unacceptable or ridiculous. This board in particular has rules in place that are intended to promote some preconceived idea of consideration of others, but also seems to be viewed as consistently failing to achieve that objective. Claims abound of rule skirting. But if no rule was broken what does that mean? Once again it comes down to individual interpretation and often times a lack of understanding of the often times complex language terms used in some conversations. This place has been called a temple of traditional solemnity but it is also a place of syncretic diversity. So is it right for this place to exclude people that don’t necessarily break the rules but also do not conform to its commonly accepted social norms?

Of course there is a clear need to conform to social rules, especially when they are there to protect others. But beyond that, deciding what is acceptable should mean making hard judgment calls of your specific bias and then letting that go, thus allowing individual expression that facilitates happy coexistence. If a conversation is not your style, avoid it. But don’t judge the participants harshly. They just operate under a different set of rules and in this they are not wrong just different. For most of us encountering moments of bad behavior is a fleeting problem. But instead of focusing on the issue and making it your personal mission to eradicate, the most considerate thing you could do is to try and not be so quick to judge.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi