What is the Force MkII

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335438 by
Replied by on topic What is the Force MkII
Neither points-scoring or personal attacks are particularly Jedi traits, nor are they conducive to a good debating environment.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335441 by

Arisaig wrote:
Ideas, not people....

Thee "Ideer", is the quote in question...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335442 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote:
Ideas, not people....

Kyrin Wyldstar also wrote: You accused me of derail but absent a context to tie your post into the rest of the thread I would conclude your post is the original derail. If you posted it why don't you want to discuss it?

Avoid the use of the word "you". trust me, it really helps cut down on people reading posts as such...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335445 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote:
Ideas, not people....

Kyrin Wyldstar also wrote: You accused me of derail but absent a context to tie your post into the rest of the thread I would conclude your post is the original derail. If you posted it why don't you want to discuss it?

Avoid the use of the word "you". trust me, it really helps cut down on people reading posts as such...

Oh sorry, hows this?

The party in question accused me of derail but absent a context to tie that party in questions post into the rest of the thread I would conclude the party in questions post is the original derail. If the party in question posted it why doesn't the party in question want to discuss it? :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335446 by
I think anyone here can look at the previous thread and see it was beautifully derailed. Words were thrown, and honestly, im surprised more wasn't done besides locking it.

But the first time someone decides to say that someone's post is 'cute' and 'meaningless'... well, that's a derailment.

Back on topic.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335448 by

Arisaig wrote: I think anyone here can look at the previous thread and see it was beautifully derailed. Words were thrown, and honestly, im surprised more wasn't done besides locking it.

But the first time someone decides to say that someone's post is 'cute' and 'meaningless'... well, that's a derailment.

Back on topic.

Oh fake news from the alt left! I said the post was cute because it was cute. I never said the post was meaningless. I said the quote was meaningless in the context of the thread. and I asked for clarification. Please try and refrain from quote mining me. thanks a bunch! Can we move on now and actually discuss the quote?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335449 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: I think anyone here can look at the previous thread and see it was beautifully derailed. Words were thrown, and honestly, im surprised more wasn't done besides locking it.

Back on topic.

Oh fake news from the alt left! I said the post was cute because it was cute. I never said the post was meaningless. I said the quote was meaningless in the context of the thread. and I asked for clarification. Please try and refrain from quote mining me. thanks a bunch! Can we move on now and actually discuss the quote?

"Yea that's cute. But quoting others incoherant ramblings is really meaningless. What does that mean to you and when you describe it be prepared to defend it."

What about this says the quote is the meaningless part? You said "quoting others... is really meaningless".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335452 by
It seems this comes from a concept called Systems philosophy. It is based upon the Aristotelian explanation for the world view point with its encompassing notion that any whole is actually more than the sum of its parts. It is a process to remove the world from the superstitious beliefs in Magic and religion to be replaced with rational explanations for the workings of the world. Under this system the study of phenomenon takes on dual meanings, separating the objective fact from the experience of the fact.

So what I see out of this is that say we are driving down a road and we see a speed limit sign. The objective fact is that on this roadway there is an objective fact that the speed limit is X miles per hour. But my experience of this fact will be different than my passenger’s experience of this fact. I may experience a sense of rebellion at this thought or I may experience a sense of urgency to arrive at our destination and speed up. My passenger may experience anxiety at this fact or a sense of compliance and look around to see if there is a police officer watching us and have a wish to slow down.

My passenger and I can discuss each of these experiences that we have and explain to the other rationally our reasons for the experience. We may come to a compromise in our belief on how to act toward the fact or we may experience a difference of opinion. So in this sort of context “The Force” would not be the objective fact of the speed limit. “The Force” would be our experience of this fact and our interactions with each other surrounding this fact.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335453 by

Williamkaede wrote: That's the one. I think it's a great way of exploring The Force, and Campbellian themes.

Why is it a great way of exploring the Force? You can be the blind man sure, or you can be one who sees. Or further, with technology extend that "sight" as we do today to see thay which cannot be even by those with perfect vision.

I think its a great way to make an excuse, but not explore anything.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 days ago #335454 by

Williamkaede wrote: I'm a big fan of the 'three blind men and the elephant' parable when it comes to exploring the Force.

Six blind elephants were discussing what men were like. After arguing they decided to find one and determine what it was like by direct experience. The first blind elephant felt the man and declared, 'Men are flat.' After the other blind elephants felt the man, they agreed.

Moral:

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature in itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning.
-Werner Heisenberg

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi